The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!

• Onthewater2181
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2010 18:22 - 21 Oct 2010 18:23 #408097 by Onthewater2181
The KZ900 rises from the grave once again! was created by Onthewater2181
I am new to this forum, and have been useing it alot for information and references. Thanks to all the people that helped with the little bits of information. This is my first bike rebuild ever. The story behind this bike is it belonged to my wifes aunt and uncle. It was there wedding present to themselves back in 1976. They asked my wife if we wanted another motorcycle. Me being who I am and it being free I said lets get it.

We showed up at there house and he led me around the house to the side of the garage. There in the weeds, front tire half way in the ground was the KZ. I did not know much about KZs then (Now I do!). I thought to myself what have I got into. I liked the style of the back, thinking I would have something to tinker with.
He looked a little hesitant to give it up. I told him I was planning to restore it. I loaded the bike into my truck and took it back to my shop. There it sat for two weeks. He had lost the key and title somewhere in the house. After about a month I got the call I was waiting for. He had found the key and title. (sweet!)

We the key and the bike were finally together I poured a little gas and kooked up a battery to it. I could not believe it, after fifteen years of sitting outside it started on the first pull. Now I knew I had to bring this bike back to life. Everytning was there in the box under the tail. The original sales slip from the dealer to ever reciept for maintenance. Even the manual and tools.

I started digging on the internet and found this place. With alot of late nights reading the articles and trial and errors. After nine months she is back on the road again.

I thought I would at least show what a guy in his shop could do. Thanks
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 18:23 by Onthewater2181.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Onthewater2181
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2010 18:25 - 21 Oct 2010 19:23 #408100 by Onthewater2181
Replied by Onthewater2181 on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
Here is the picture from when I first got it home.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 19:23 by Onthewater2181.

More
21 Oct 2010 19:04 #408125 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
Great story. I bet the Aunt and Uncle are happy too. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• Onthewater2181
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Oct 2010 19:58 #408143 by Onthewater2181
Shhhh. Its a secret they haven't seen it yet.:blink:
Attachments:

More
21 Oct 2010 20:09 #408148 by Glennozrx
Replied by Glennozrx on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
Onthewater2181 wrote:

I am new to this forum, and have been useing it alot for information and references. Thanks to all the people that helped with the little bits of information. This is my first bike rebuild ever. The story behind this bike is it belonged to my wifes aunt and uncle. It was there wedding present to themselves back in 1976. They asked my wife if we wanted another motorcycle. Me being who I am and it being free I said lets get it.

We showed up at there house and he led me around the house to the side of the garage. There in the weeds, front tire half way in the ground was the KZ. I did not know much about KZs then (Now I do!). I thought to myself what have I got into. I liked the style of the back, thinking I would have something to tinker with.

He looked a little hesitant to give it up. I told him I was planning to restore it. I loaded the bike into my truck and took it back to my shop. There it sat for two weeks. He had lost the key and title somewhere in the house. After about a month I got the call I was waiting for. He had found the key and title. (sweet!)

We the key and the bike were finally together I poured a little gas and kooked up a battery to it. I could not believe it, after fifteen years of sitting outside it started on the first pull. Now I knew I had to bring this bike back to life. Everytning was there in the box under the tail. The original sales slip from the dealer to ever reciept for maintenance. Even the manual and tools.

I started digging on the internet and found this place. With alot of late nights reading the articles and trial and errors. After nine months she is back on the road again.

I thought I would at least show what a guy in his shop could do. Thanks

Looks pretty darn good for not running for 15 years! Good luck with it. Post some more pics as you progress.

More
21 Oct 2010 20:33 #408155 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
Some more good websites:
1. z1oc.com/index (run by Jeff Saunders, the owner of Z1 enterprises).
2. www.kawasakimotorcycle.org
3. www.wgcarbs.com

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
22 Oct 2010 08:45 #408231 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
Nice job, I;m sure the Aunt and Uncle will be pleased.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Oct 2010 09:04 #408234 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
good job..looks like you stayed on task!!! folks here know how hard it is to get all the "little things" squared away..again great job!!!......

and good job to your relatives for staying away from junking it or letting some idiot get their hands on it....

so many of these 70's kz's got trashed by folks with big plans and no follow through...they strip em and stuff gets tossed or lost.....you got a gem in the rough and that can make all the difference in most cases

This bike will be a great head turner and i bet you really fall in love with it as the miles add up and you get it to suit your riding.......

A testament to your skills and a blessing that your aunt and uncle did not "modify" the bike into a grave.....

finds like that are still around...riding it you will meet people that have other like finds just wasting away :woohoo:
.......Enjoy...more pics!!!!

Craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Onthewater2181
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Oct 2010 16:32 #408324 by Onthewater2181
Thanks for the good words. I cant wait to show the aunt and uncle what I have done with it. I wanted to keep as much of it as stock as possible. It definately turns heads, it seems every time I have it out everyone has a story behind it. The most fun so far besides the riding is all the stories I get from everyone about owning one or some story of when they first came out.

As far as falling in love with the bikes, I have bought a second one(1976 KZ900) that I am restoring. This one is in bad condition. This one I found in a barn and had been sitting again for ten years. While checking the serial numbers on the bike, I found out that there only 120 apart from each other. I will keep everyone posted as I bring them both back to life. Thanks again.

More
22 Oct 2010 17:27 #408333 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic The KZ900 rises from the grave once again!
Welcome! Glad you are saving some of the coolest bikes on the planet...follow Mike Folks' advice...also join www.z1oc.com

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A