Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 06 Sep 2010 17:51 #396613

• Quadzilla
  • Quadzilla's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
picked her up today. 16,000 original miles. Runs great! All stock with the exception of an old Vance and Hines 4 into 1 exhaust and an added lower fairing with a crappy paint job, but only on the lower fairing. The rest of the bike as the factory paint in GREAT condition!

Came with the original exhaust as well (in great shape).

Looking forward to putting miles on her and also doing some very minor fixes and detailing. First thing I'll do is rip that lower aftermarket fairing off. I like the fairing, but the paint job sucks.

Here are some pics of the "new" gal!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Quadzilla.

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 06 Sep 2010 18:19 #396621

• dblhdr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Sweet... no need to trash the lower fairing. If you like it just re paint it to look nicer. great buy. Safe riding.
1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 06 Sep 2010 18:19 #396622

• DFIGPZ
  • User
  • Thank you received: 122
congrats ! i to just got an 84 gpz1100 with 14,000 mi on her. do not let the DFI scare you they are pretty trouble free. i worked on these when they were new and i was a kawasaki tech in the mid 80s early 90s.
1984 750 Turbo

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 06 Sep 2010 18:33 #396627

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
niz bike.keep the fairing,it looks fine as is.bj

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 06 Sep 2010 19:19 #396637

• MFolks
  • User
  • Thank you received: 540
Once in a while, remove the small wire clip holding the wire cable going to the TPS (throttle position sensor) located on the right side of the bike(it has DFI on it).

Spray electrical contact cleaner up where the cable attached while opening and closing the throttle(engine off) a few times and then re-attach the cable.

The TPS is a carbon variable resistor that can get dust build up making the DFI act up. I use a very good brand of electrical contact cleaner/preservative called "De-oxit" on my bike's many and various electrical connnectors.

www.deoxit.com is their website and it can be purchased at Radio Shack Stores and other electronic supply places.

The injectors fire at low voltages, so the connectors will need attention too. A similar wire clip holds the injector wire connections.

Check the fuse clips for corrosion, these DFI bikes need a steady supply of power to work good.
1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 07 Sep 2010 10:32 #396771

• Quadzilla
  • User
No sir, not going to trash it. Just don't want it on the bike as the spray paint job looks like crap in person up close. It looks OK from a distance or in pictures, but as you get withing 5 or 6 feet of the bike in person, you can see it. In time, I may get it professionally sanded and paint matched to the rest of the bike.

The good news is that the factory paint is in amazing condition. As is the paint on the motor cases (still looks glossy and new).

I plan on taking off the header this winter and getting it sand blasted and painted (or coated) and polishing up the canister as well. Going to be a fun project!

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 07 Sep 2010 10:33 #396772

• Quadzilla
  • User
Thank you sir! I will do that for sure in the next couple of weeks.

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 07 Sep 2010 11:04 #396783

• MFolks
  • User
I'm considering changing from the original glass tubed fuses to the newer "Blade Style" used in newer bikes and cars. A forum member "Otakar" has done this modification to his bike:

Fuse And Fuse Holder Designations

1. The older Kawasaki’s use a glass tubed fuse with the designation of AGX 1” long. Most good auto parts stores can get them for you. They are ¼” in diameter.

2. The more common AGC is 1 ¼” long and may not fit the smaller fuse clips. Again, ¼” in diameter.

3. To clean and polish the fuse clips, I use a cotton swab(Q- Tip) and some Brasso metal cleaner or Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I suppose any good metal polish would work.

4. These fuses can fail internally but look good, only by removing them from the clip and electrically continuity checking with either a self powered test light, or a multimeter set on OHMS can they be determined to be in good shape.

5. A physical inspection of the metal end caps for tightness will tell you if the fuse is serviceable.

6. Most modern motorcycles are now using the automobile “Blade” style fuse with the designation of ATC or ATO.

7. The reduced sized “Mini” Blade style fuse holder uses the ATM size of fuses.

8. If the fuse and fuse holder overheat, it could soften or anneal the grip of the clip, it might require squeezing the clip to restore the tightness.

9. A list of where to purchase “Blade” style fuses and holders:

www.waytekwire.com order.waytekwire.com/productdetail2/M50/...20%20%20%208%20FUSE/

www.rallylights.com www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=765

www.delcity.net www.delcity.net/cartviewitem?item=73805&search=y
1982 GPZ1100 B2

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 07 Sep 2010 11:28 #396789

• Quadzilla
  • User
I believe that mine already has blade fuses. I pulled the seat when I was looking at her at the time that I bought it yesterday and recall seeing blade fuses. I just looked up '84 fuse boxes on Evil Bay (like this one ---> cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1984-KAWASAKI-GP...fPartsQ5fAccessories ) and I think that this confirms my suspicion. I will check mine when I get home to be certain.

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 10 Sep 2010 07:17 #397424

• Quadzilla
  • User
Hello again guys (and gals ;-),

Got my first real bit of saddle time with her yesterday. Some observations
(from one that has not owned a GPZ before).

VERY stable at speed. Confidence inspiring. Very comfy for a "sport bike".

There is a price to be paid for the stability. It is not the easiest bike to
flick around in the tight turns. The good news is that I didn't buy her to go
knee dragging in the twisties (I stopped riding like a maniac in the late 90's).
So this is the perfect balance of bike for me.

Power is wonderful. Nice, broad, powerband. 9k rpm appears to be where she
peaks and the power gradually drops off after that. One "issue" with mine is that she does tend to run a bit lean from
idle - 4700 rpm. After that, she cleans up and runs strong to redline. It's
not severe, but it is a bit annoying to me. Hoping that one or more of you know
some tricks to sort that out.

I saw a bit of oil seepage on the cylinder fins. After a few hours on the road,
the was enough oil to lightly coat a couple of the fins just partially (so it's
really not that bad). It appears to be coming from the head gasket area. Shall
I try to crank down the head bolts a tad before seeking a gasket kit?

I replaced the blown fuse for the blinkers They lit up for a few seconds and then the fuse blew as well. Guess I'll have to check all visible connections, etc.

Oh and one more question. I noticed a lead that was not plugged into anything in the battery compartment. It looked like a faded orange color. Could this be the lead that I hooked a 9v up to stop the warning and battery lights from blinking constantly?

Thanks again everyone!

Last edit: by Quadzilla.

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 10 Sep 2010 20:23 #397579

• MFolks
  • User
On my bike I believe the wire color is pink, this is where the battery sensor would plug into. This is where my 9 volt battery will connect to eliminate the flashing warning light and sensor problem notification.
1982 GPZ1100 B2

My New To Me 1984 GPZ1100 11 Sep 2010 06:43 #397618

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
  • Thank you received: 235
very very nice....

later i'll post a link to gpz decals site...maybe you can get the stripes for the lowers that always ties em in nice...super cool bike
1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Page: