N,GA newb, in over my head HELP! ( 92 KZ1000p11 )

More
04 Sep 2010 21:59 #396208 by MrD_KZ1000p
HELP! I don't know what the hell I'm doing. got in way over my head here but F$#K it. I just had to get a bike for some reason i thought i would run into people in my area that would be able to help me but that was not the case. so here i am, total newb but determined to get it going.

its a 92 Kz1000 p11 with most of the police stuff striped already . When i got it. it ran (the guy drove it) it did not sound too bad at all but what do i know i bought it thinking it just needed tires and pads. well I was wrong rotors and pads maybe calipers are shot too and i just tried to clean the carbs will see how that goes when i put them back on.

got some rims with good rotors from a friend but need to know if they will fit. (dam new rotors are 250 or something each)

also got new handlebars
anyways right now i am trying to look into putting none police controls on

pics and videos up soon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
04 Sep 2010 22:12 #396210 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic N,GA newb, in over my head HELP! ( 92 KZ1000p11 )
Was it running poorly enough that you though you needed to clean the carbs? As far a parts go, there will be lots of guys here with the parts you need, good luck and welcome B)

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

More
04 Sep 2010 22:25 #396213 by MrD_KZ1000p
Replied by MrD_KZ1000p on topic N,GA newb, in over my head HELP! ( 92 KZ1000p11 )
Thanks porchev, I do not know anything about bikes. it sounded ok but i did take them off and clean the float bowls and there was all kinds of crap in them and slides were getng stuck now it looks good but i am sure it needs some syncing

More
05 Sep 2010 07:12 #396244 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic N,GA newb, in over my head HELP! ( 92 KZ1000p11 )
At this point the best advice any of us can do is this...

BUY YOURSELF AN OEM SERVICE MANUAL.... e-bay has them...

If you can only find a Clymers then buy it for better then none... Since you stated new to motorcycles then read and study the shit out of it.... Every freaking page!!!

Hell, I have 3 different manuals for mine, OEM is the best of them....

Don't do shit to the bike until you have studied it...

As for carbs including yours, here's some more shit for you to study...

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=461&Itemid=108

In troubleshooting, going in blind is nearly impossible, very confusing/frsutrating and you most likely won't enjoy the experience and go this KZ sucks blah-blah-blah...

If you understand the theories of the sections your t-shotting, hell you have 80% of the problem already resolved then... Going in blind, 0%...:S

Buy and study the manual... Even has trouble-shooting guides in the back pages to help you out...

Once you know the lingo/part names/basic theories and operations then ask away and we'll be more then happy to bombard you with opinions... :woohoo:

But for KZ Gods sake, don't be one of those who says "What's this little do-hickey" or "Where is the timing chain adjuster... :woohoo: I found the adjuster" for this just shows you're not truly doing the research in learning your KZ and just looking for the magical answer so "I just want to ride it"...

Good luck, start a project post.
We LUV photo's here...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
05 Sep 2010 07:15 #396245 by MrD_KZ1000p
Replied by MrD_KZ1000p on topic N,GA newb, in over my head HELP! ( 92 KZ1000p11 )
Old Man Rock wrote:

At this point the best advice any of us can do is this...

BUY YOURSELF AN OEM SERVICE MANUAL.... e-bay has them...

If you can only find a Clymers then buy it for better then none... Since you stated new to motorcycles then read and study the shit out of it.... Every freaking page!!!

Hell, I have 3 different manuals for mine, OEM is the best of them....

Don't do shit to the bike until you have studied it...

As for carbs including yours, here's some more shit for you to study...

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=461&Itemid=108

In troubleshooting, going in blind is nearly impossible, very confusing/frsutrating and you most likely won't enjoy the experience and go this KZ sucks blah-blah-blah...

If you understand the theories of the sections your t-shotting, hell you have 80% of the problem already resolved then... Going in blind, 0%...:S

Buy and study the manual... Even has trouble-shooting guides in the back pages to help you out...

Once you know the lingo/part names/basic theories and operations then ask away and we'll be more then happy to bombard you with opinions... :woohoo:

But for KZ Gods sake, don't be one of those who says "What's this little do-hickey" or "Where is the timing chain adjuster... :woohoo: I found the adjuster" for this just shows you're not truly doing the research in learning your KZ and just looking for the magical answer so "I just want to ride it"...

Good luck, start a project post.
We LUV photo's here...

OMR

Thanks! yup just got a oem manual last week.

More
05 Sep 2010 07:20 #396247 by psrumors
Where are you located in N GA? I am in Cartersville. New to the KZs but not new to motorcycles or mechanics. I'd be willing to give you a hand if you need an extra set of eyes.

'82 KZ1000-K2 LTD

More
05 Sep 2010 08:31 #396261 by MrD_KZ1000p
THanks psrumors! I am in Marietta off chastain and 575

pm sent!