84 GpZ 750.....TURBO

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
14 Jul 2010 23:30 - 14 Jul 2010 23:37 #382786 by porchev914
84 GpZ 750.....TURBO was created by porchev914
I don't know what's wrong with me!!!! I haven't even finished my Kz1000 yet, and I picked up a 84 GpZ750 turbo :woohoo: :woohoo: It's a damn good thing the wife is out of town till the end of the weekend :unsure:
I know absolutely nothing about these bikes, but here is the laundry list the current owner copped to:
The 2 center fairings are missing, no windscreen, no key (no gas cap either), the fuel distribution log is missing, a smudge on the gauge cluster from 110-130.
The good (allegedly):
good compression, good spark, engine turns over readily when jumped, fuel tank/mufflers/front fairing replaced, turbo is good with no bushing play, mileage showing 5584??!! (yeah, right). The guy has owned if for a year and hasn't ever started it (didn't have a fuel tank when he jumped it to see if it turned over and had spark) Once he got a tank, he never tried to start it...allegedly. He got it from a guy down the road from him that wasn't into bikes and never rode it. He got it from his boss who owed him money and gave him the bike to satisfy a short paycheck...allegedly. Well, thats the beginning of the story. The bike is in Barstow, California. I'll have a friend pick it up this weekend, then I'll go get it at the beginning of the week once the little Mrs comes back home with my truck...IF she doesn't kill me :dry: :laugh: B)

At the moment, I just want to get it home to asess it's issues, and get her running again. I'm sure there is going to be varnished fuel in the system, but with the fuel injection, is is simply limited to the pump, lines and injectors? I'll have to do some research, obviously, and I know, I know, PICS!
I'll get some when I get the bike home.

Anyone have any nuggets of knowledge to share about these bikes?

Adam

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end
Last edit: 14 Jul 2010 23:37 by porchev914.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
15 Jul 2010 04:31 #382797 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
Oooh boy! Your in trouble now. Not only do you have Kawi Disassemblus, now you have Kawi Multiplus. Mamas gonna be hot. You better clear out two spaces in that garage. One for the bike and the other for your bedroll. I recently had to pass up a good deal for a KZ650 and a RD 400 to stay out of hot water myself. I can't wait to see the pics. Do you have a buddy who can store it for a while? That has worked for me in the past.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
15 Jul 2010 08:30 #382831 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
sweet...the normal gpz is the same body and gas cap ect ..i'm pretty sure on that :)

OMR told me on the phone that he knows of a decent project kz1000 45 min from him for 250...but his girls watching him too...:laugh:

I told Amy in the grocery store line about omr's 250 bike that he has to pass on...she was like"it's only 250..???"

I've done well in my training her???:woohoo:

a 750 turbo is gonna be a great project and they will never ever ever be made again...it is a piece of kawasakis top dog history and it stomped all the turbos the top four released in that era...by a good bit....it's a great bike and a great score..100%

try this...buy her some flowers and take her on a really nice date...that is my new way to celebrate each new project that i bring home with my tail dragging...takes the edge outta their eyes...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
15 Jul 2010 08:49 #382836 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
now your in for it!
i just bought a turbo a month ago.
all i can say is once you get her going your really going to be hooked on the boost. nothing like it at all.
i would suggest joining lorcan's sight since it's a sight dedicated to the gpz turbo's.
www.750turbo.com
there is a ton of info there.
btw, mine came with extra parts so pm me if you need help.
i can tell you how to set the factory ecm to race mode :woohoo:
but i'm going to suggest you buy a power commander to map fuel better.
i'm looking at bigger injectors for mine so i could be talked into selling you mine if you can't clean yours. there a real bitch to clean. you can't just run a cleaner through them you need to take them apart.

so, how much did you pick her up for?
and we need pictures of course.

congrates!
be careful though. mine wheelies in 5th gear when the turbo spools up.
these bikes are insane.
i think i'm selling mine since i bought another bike last night.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
15 Jul 2010 13:07 #382869 by camaroguy
Replied by camaroguy on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
Its hard to pass up a good deal when you see it.just hope the little woman understands.this bike thing is addicting.put that bad boy in the corner somewhere and get to it when the 1000 is done.easy to say, hard to do.focus man focus.congrats.oh yea we need pics asap

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2010 17:21 #382914 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
testarossa wrote:

Do you have a buddy who can store it for a while? That has worked for me in the past.

Exactly where my Kz650 Turbo Project donor is sitting...probably going to be there for a while. Wife's got a short fuse lately....and I didn't even pay a cent for it...:unsure:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2010 19:41 #382963 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
Tri, that is an excellent idea! Take her on a nice date and make my misdeed seem less.....tragic :laugh: And if you're right about the fairing/tank, then finding the missing pieces will be easy. Oh, and yeah, you've got Amy well trained. My wife Marina is well trained.....maybe just not as well.

Kawasakiman, I may indeed be contacting you about injectors, it just depends what I find. I got the bike for $400, but if it will wheelie in 5th, it was waaaaaaaay worth it! I don't want to tear into it any more than I have to. I'll replace the parts I need to to get her going and ride it while I continue my 1000. I had found 750turbo.com and it's wealth of model specific info. I don't know how many were made, but the amount of power that you can get out of them is insane :woohoo:

The bottom line was that if I can't get it going, it's worth more in parts than what I paid for it :ohmy:

FRANKEN Z!
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
15 Jul 2010 20:32 #382974 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic 84 GpZ 750.....TURBO
She can't be too mad at you for only $400. I'm jealous, I have always wanted to play around with a turbo. Had a bud in high school that drove a SVO Mustang. He had put a 23lb turbo on it. What a hoot that thing was. Could barely get out of its own way when you dropped the clutch in first gear, but when it finally spooled up about half way through first. Hold on to your butt. :woohoo: Maybe I can cobble together a turbo setup for my 67 mustang when I finally get that one running. Hmmmm

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
15 Jul 2010 20:49 #382980 by kawsakiman
$400?
you got a screaming deal!
mine was much more than that.
but i did get luck in that all the work i would want to do to it was all ready done.
810,ported head, bigger turbo, 1100 throttle bodies, all suspension mods, etc.........
so what i paid for a running bike was not too bad but nowhere near yours.
let me know. i have a bunch of extra shit including a complete wiring harness.
if you join 750turbo you can download a fsm or i can burn one for you. for free of course.
if your serious about this bike keep your eyes open for a power commander.
all the work done to mine and the bike is not living up to it's full potential.
it's like building the hell out of a 5.0 mustang and using the stock ecm and running off the factory parameters.
it will run but not max out.
these things are capable of insane hp numbers and top speeds.
i ride big bore kawa's and have been on many cbr's and a couple zx14's.
turbo spool is like a powerband on a old two stroke dirtbike but it comes on at insane speeds.
i'm not shitting you when i say it can and will wheelie in every gear and will make the front end real light @ speeds over 100mph when it hits.

well anyway, pm me if i can help you or if you might need something i might have to get her going again.

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2010 21:09 #382987 by porchev914
Naw, she'll be cool, after the initial...ummm...disappointment.
And to be perfectly honest, I was thinking about a 1098 Duc swingarm/subframe mod before I ever found the bike.

As for your mustang, I have an extra turbo laying around. I had toyed with the idea of putting it on the Porsche, but I'm not sure I could handle 500+ hp in a 2300lb car :ohmy: Wait, wait, oh yeah, I could :evil: It's a Garret GT67 T3/T4 hybrid..... if you're serious, it'll support 750hp :huh:

FRANKEN Z!

More
15 Jul 2010 21:50 #382996 by kawsakiman
porchev914 wrote:

It's a Garret GT67 T3/T4 it'll support 750hp :huh:

bolt that bitch to the bike and hold on! :woohoo:

• porchev914
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2010 23:52 #383012 by porchev914
But the lag would be TERRIBLE!!! I sure hope this thing isn't complete crap, and I'd be amazed if the milage was original :ohmy: Since you're getting rid of your 750turbo kawasakiman, just send any spares my way :laugh:

FRANKEN Z!