Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?

More
08 Jul 2010 14:21 #381118 by blumeri
I wrecked on my 1979 KX750 LTD Twin. There was considerable damage to the motor housing, handle bars, lights on the side I put it down on, etc. The damage was sufficient that the Insurance company had to total it out, so I will be getting a Salvage Tile. Because I bought it as much as a hobby as anything and became attached to it, I am considering rebuilding it. Doing the work myself, I am certain I can fix it for far less than replacement cost. The problem is the salvage title. To get it back on the road, I have to get a rebuilt title. To get that I need to get a rebuilder license (must post bond for this), have it inspected and document that none of the replacement parts are stolen.

Anyone gone through this process? What was your experience? What will the inspector be looking for in an old bike like mine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Jul 2010 17:11 - 08 Jul 2010 19:18 #381149 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
it sounds like you know what to do...seems if you had the old bike in your name and registration even an out of date piece of document that showed engine and frame numbers...then what is the big deal......

legal stuff...i know nothing....can you rebuild an old bike and make it worth it???

not often...

but that never stops a bike lover....

ie...is it worth it to grow a garden ...or just go to the store and buy the veggies.....hard question...how do "you" rate the words ...worth it????

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 08 Jul 2010 19:18 by trianglelaguna.

More
08 Jul 2010 18:50 #381177 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
What state are you in? I have bought lots of crashed bikes and in wisconsin it is a pretty easy process to get a rebuilt title. All it has to do is pass a simple safety inspection, mainly lights, functioning brakes and a quiet exhaust. You dont need to be a bonded rebuilder here.
Now if you get a bike without a title that is a different story, i did that once and will not do it again. Make sure you get all the proper paper work and contact you local DMV to see where you have to take the bike for inspection. they use to come right to your house here, but now you need to take the bike to an inspection station.
with ebay now, you should be able to put it back together pretty cheap

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2010 20:17 #381194 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
I know your question is more about rebuilding than buying, and were I in your position and attached the bike, hell yeah, I'd rebuild it.

On the question of worth, here's an article a local shop that sells a lot of salvaged title bikes put together (okay, they have a vested interested). Anyways....I would do it if it meant anything to me and I could spare the time, sweat, blood, and cash.

www.motorcycleperf.com/techtips/titlebrands.htm

More
09 Jul 2010 00:52 #381228 by blumeri
Replied by blumeri on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
I'm in Alabama.

More
09 Jul 2010 04:28 #381237 by camaroguy
Replied by camaroguy on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
I live in florida and ride a bike bought from a dot auction. the bike was never wrecked just a theft recovery.I didnt care about rebuilt title because I just wanted a decent bike to ride.just had a friend who is a detective to come verify vin numbers and dot issued me a title.been riding the bike for over a year.yes resale will not be as much but I got this bike DIRT cheap.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Jul 2010 05:58 #381245 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
Personally, I would start watching Craigslist and Ebay. Sooner or later a compatible frame will come up for sale with a good title. Usually KZs are in the neighborhood of $100. Swap all your good parts off your old bike and put the new title in your name. This way you can sell it down the road if you decide to move to something different. Otherwise a rebuilt title KZ750 twin is worth almost nothing these days. I bet you couldn't get $500 for that no matter how nice it is. This is a KZ and not a KX right? If you plan on never selling it, then you might get off cheaper by fixing it and riding it as is, but I have no knowledge of the process to get a rebuilt title.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
09 Jul 2010 14:33 #381307 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
Its too bad we cant do that here in Canada.

Any motorcycle (and other two wheeled brotheren), can never be driven on Canadian roads again after its VIN is registered as either salvage/wreck/rebuild, whatever.

If it doesnt say oem/new, you cant ride it. :angry:

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
11 Jul 2010 11:55 #381683 by blumeri
Replied by blumeri on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
Buying a used frame with clear title was my second plan

• ready2ryde1985
  • User
  • got to love these kzs
More
11 Jul 2010 14:25 #381718 by ready2ryde1985
Replied by ready2ryde1985 on topic Rebuilding a Salvaged Bike. Worth it or not?
Bet canada is the mother load for cheep bikes lol like an oasis compared to here lol.

I live in central IL by st louis MO and it seems like everyone and there brother chops cuts and rebuilds wrecked bikes ..
My best scores come from scrap yards thoes crack heads will steal any thing for a rock lol and when they do it ends up there.
I have a friend that runs the scale he calls when somethin comes in that looks worth wild and i go take a look normaly he has already contacted the police and the scrap yard gives a bill of sale and ah la penut butter smitches!!

B)

of corse you have to apply for the title but big woop i get them for weight...

84 kz 700 a1
82 kz550 ltd

More
11 Jul 2010 14:34 #381722 by TerryK
TeK9iNe wrote:

Its too bad we cant do that here in Canada.

Any motorcycle (and other two wheeled brotheren), can never be driven on Canadian roads again after its VIN is registered as either salvage/wreck/rebuild, whatever.

If it doesnt say oem/new, you cant ride it. :angry:

B)

Not entirely true.

you can't reverse a salvaged "branded" title as far as I know, but you CAN get a new V.I.N. for a rebuilt bike.

"In all cases where an assigned VIN is required, the documentation required for registration would include a sworn affidavit (statutory declaration), describing where the main component parts (body, chassis/frame and engine, if applicable) were obtained, the reason that an assigned VIN is required, and a statement that the applicant is the legal and rightful owner of the completed vehicle."

"For a rebuilt vehicle where the body V.I.N. cannot be determined, MTO will assign a 17 digit V.I.N. starting with "RBT" at the time the owner brings in the notarized affidavit for the vehicle, and registers it as "unfit" and unplated. The owner then gets the safety standards certificate using the RBT V.I.N."

"Registration Requirements for Kit Cars / Rebuilt Vehicles
The following items should be presented at any at any independently operated Driver and Vehicle Licence Issuing Office in Ontario:
www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/issoff.htm

1. Completed Application for Registration (SR-LV-6)

2. A notarized affidavit. Refer to the information below for details that must be stated on affidavit.

3. Photocopies of bills of sale/receipts for main components (i.e.body, chassis/frame, engine, etc.), if available.

4. Permit(s) for vehicle(s) used to rebuild vehicle (for rebuilt/kit vehicle), if available.

5. Safety Standards Certificate for a passenger/commercial vehicle or a motorcycle.
192.75.156.68/DBLaws/Regs/English/900611_e.htm
Please see MINIMUM SAFETY STANDARDS FOR ON-ROAD USE, below, for complete list of required equipment.

6. A Drive Clean Vehicle Emissions Pass Report is required for rebuilt vehicles, but not for kit cars. Effective January 1, 2002, kit cars (MODEL "KIT") are exempted from the Drive Clean program.

For more information on Drive Clean requirements, contact the Drive Clean Office at: Ministry of the Environment, Drive Clean Office, 40 St. Clair Ave. West - 4th Floor, Toronto, Ontario, M4V 1M2, TEL: 1-888-758-2999 OR (905) 837-5839.
Web site: www.driveclean.com/

7. Proof of empty weight.

8. Canada Customs Form or documentation with Customs Clearance stamp for parts (e.g. body of vehicle) which were obtained outside Canada. For more information on importation, please call the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at 1-888-848-8240 or (416) 626-1803,
e-mail:mailto:info@riv.ca or visit their web site: www.riv.ca

9. Eight percent retail sales tax (RST) on the declared value of the completed vehicle. For parts you have already paid RST on, the bills of sale must be attached to the notarized affidavit as proof. For more information, please contact: your local Retail Sales Tax field office, or: Ministry of Finance, Retail Sales Tax Branch, Toll-Free Across Canada: 1-888-285-7815 or (905) 433-6170.

10. Fees: (a) To register the vehicle and attach plates when the vehicle owner has his/her own plates $10.00; (b) For new plates and permit $20.00. Note: For plate validation, the owner will be required to buy validation from the date of vehicle registration to the assigned validation expiry date. Fees will be calculated according to the class of vehicle and declaration(s) (e.g. Northern Ontario Resident).

11. Proof of identity for applicant who has never registered a plate or vehicle with the ministry."

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada