Z650 - Can we fix it? Yes we can (maybe)

More
04 Jul 2010 02:01 #380088 by Dazza
Picked this up today as my long term project to make her shiny and new again. I think I have jumped in the deep end but I still think I can make it good again. I am actually thinking of going down the cafe road with it and have a go at making a seat cowl like this one .
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2010 02:03 #380089 by Dazza
Replied by Dazza on topic Z650 - Can we fix it? Yes we can (maybe)
There is a bunch of bits in a box, but looks like I am gonna have to replace switches, throttle handle/cable, headlight, front master cylinder/lever and well the list goes on...
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2010 02:04 #380091 by Dazza
Apparently it hasn't run for at least three years. Built 11/81
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2010 02:07 #380092 by Dazza
Need some opinions...I plan on completely stripping it. Should I
1. Get it running to see how it goes and whether it needs any internal work at this point.
2. Pull it apart and rebuild it anyway
3. Pull it apart and worry about getting it running later on
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2010 02:11 #380094 by Dazza
The guy I got it from had the same kinda thing in mind, but never got started. Apparently he has only had it for three months and it looks like it has spent those three months in the weather.
Whats a good tip to see if I can get the rust of those bolts and what is good to dab on a bolt that is looking pretty rough before I try removing it?

I am itching to get started on this and hopefully make something pretty hot.
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2010 02:29 #380097 by Dustproof
Replied by Dustproof on topic Z650 - Can we fix it? Yes we can (maybe)
Unless curiosity has got the better of you, I would pull it apart first and get it running later. It all depends on Money, space and enthusiasm. It also depends on how far you want to go in restoring it. Do you want to pull the engine down and rebuild it?

I have seen this bike before, did you get it from EBay? Are you in Australia?

Regards
Noel

More
04 Jul 2010 03:43 #380101 by Dazza
I was hoping to avoid a rebuild of the engine, but thought getting it to actually start and run might be a good thing to do before I pull it out of the frame. Then I will know if anything major is needed doing to it.

Yeah I got it from EBay AU. I am in Melbourne's Eastern 'burbs.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
04 Jul 2010 04:25 #380103 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Z650 - Can we fix it? Yes we can (maybe)
When you pull that seat off to cafe it, sell it to me! We could probably barter kz650 parts or I would buy it outright!

Probably the cheapest way to get it running is to leave the motor as is, check timing, valve clearance and compression when you get ready to run the bike. If the motor is shot, it is most likely going to be cheaper to buy a running replacement then fix it (and you can pick up a kz750 motor for the same money).

If you crack the motor you can easily spend $3-500 replacing gaskets, chains, rubber bits and whatnot that should be replaced while you have it apart.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

More
04 Jul 2010 23:14 - 05 Jul 2010 02:54 #380314 by Dazza
Anyone know how I can find out what model this bike is? (F, H, CSR etc?) I think it is an F model. The side covers just have z650 on them. (edit: found out it is an 82 F3 according to frame/engine #'s)

What other models/years parts will fit this bike.

Also can someone point me in the direction of finding some carby rebuild/gasket kits?
Last edit: 05 Jul 2010 02:54 by Dazza.

More
10 Jul 2010 02:01 #381426 by Dustproof
Replied by Dustproof on topic Z650 - Can we fix it? Yes we can (maybe)
If you get the engine number and Vin Chassis number there is information on this site to let you know what you have. If you have trouble, put the numbers up on here and we will get the info for you.

Noel
Sydney (where they can't play football)

More
10 Jul 2010 21:25 #381604 by Dazza
Yeah I have found out it is the F3 (built 11/81) It has the BS32 carbs on it with the new throttle setup. Stupid me went a bought one off EBay that came off an 81 CSR and it has the push/pull cable setup. After doing more research into the changes of the model I realised I had the correct throttle setup in the bits box :(

I knew this bike was going to be a lot of hard work and the more I pull it apart the more hard work I am finding. :ohmy:

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
10 Jul 2010 21:53 #381607 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Z650 - Can we fix it? Yes we can (maybe)
Try to fire it up first. You may be surprised how good she will run. That will give you a different outlook on what to do. If you are getting a little overwhelmed now tearing down a perfectly good motor will only make it worse. If it will not run then a teardown will be the only option. It is common for the carbs and controls to need some attention on a bike this old. These bikes are pretty reliable and amazingly resilient. Good Luck and have fun with the project.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL