81 KZ650 Cafe Racer - Park City, Utah

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Jul 2010 10:45 - 19 Jul 2010 10:49 #383836 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 81 KZ650 Cafe Racer - Park City, Utah
chain:
solid linked chain..grind the pin off of one link on both sides and hit it with a nail set/punch ect...

Front sprocket:
fast taps with a hammer on a correct sized wrench or ratchet or,better even,hit it with an air gun and a hardened socket,this may require loading it and taking to friendly auto shop if they have the right socket and a big air ratchet gun..six packs of good beer help on this one too....and a few quick hard blasts will free it up...

steering stem "spanner" nut:
a "spannar wrench" is for that nut on the steering stem top threaded area but it is hidden and can also be hit loose with a large flathead screwdriver and a mallet....if you are careful and tap easy it wont even gouge a mark in the cut outs....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 19 Jul 2010 10:49 by trianglelaguna.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • I Surf Snow & Putt For Dough.
More
20 Jul 2010 09:07 #384082 by chef otto
Replied by chef otto on topic 81 KZ650 Cafe Racer - Park City, Utah
trianglelaguna wrote:

chain:
solid linked chain..grind the pin off of one link on both sides and hit it with a nail set/punch ect...

Front sprocket:
fast taps with a hammer on a correct sized wrench or ratchet or,better even,hit it with an air gun and a hardened socket,this may require loading it and taking to friendly auto shop if they have the right socket and a big air ratchet gun..six packs of good beer help on this one too....and a few quick hard blasts will free it up...

steering stem "spanner" nut:
a "spannar wrench" is for that nut on the steering stem top threaded area but it is hidden and can also be hit loose with a large flathead screwdriver and a mallet....if you are careful and tap easy it wont even gouge a mark in the cut outs....

THANKS...............FOR THE HELP!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
20 Jul 2010 09:52 #384092 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic 81 KZ650 Cafe Racer - Park City, Utah
no prob..hope i'm right..pretty sure these are standard advice/tips...

the chain is a toss away really and a decent repplacement is not too much..if the sprockets are worn in a slight direction like the pic appears to show then i would get a front and rear sprocket and chain at the same time...it's money well spent and you can even change teeth sizes and get some fun results...although stock sizes are the best imo...
some folks spend a good amount here and buy premium lubes or wax and stay on adjustment...some ,like me buy cheap chains and sprockets and lube em and adjust em and seem to get a season or two also....

the spanner nut is not on there too tight and when you put it back together this is an area to not over tighten..when it is all together tire ,everythign..raise the front end...proper tightness should allow it to steady flop to one side when the bars are reset to center with the front raised imo....

hitting thatsproket nut with a large air impact wrench saves time if you still cant tapp it free imo....

a couple good rapps with a air gun and it's free usually

cool project keep it up....
peace craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2010 21:28 #390252 by chef otto
Finally got around to polishing some tings......I am full time Daddy Daycare so wrench time is hard to come buy. I have been receiving boxes of parts. Going to drop off the frame, swing arm and some other parts at Coonyz Customs to get powder coated tomorrow.

The piece on the bottom is what it looked like before polishing. You can see my little man in the reflection.

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Aug 2010 20:37 #393633 by chef otto
Stopped by Coonyz Customs today and picked up the powder coated frame, swingarm, triple tree, kick stand and spring and bar clamps. Looks "very nice" also dug through my large box of parts and snapped some photos of some of the bit's I have purchased. Here's a peep show for you.

Chopped off some of this with a angle grinder and started to buff it out. If I cant get a better shine on it I will paint it.

More to come tomorrow. www.coonyzcustomz.com/ check them out. Kyle and Sean build some fuckin sick bikes.

More
25 Aug 2010 08:17 #393715 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic 81 KZ650 Cafe Racer - Park City, Utah
for your wheel problems go to buccanans wheel they have a really good site and are the outfit i deal with when i do custom wire wheels up. they can defintly help you they are the best for surw.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Aug 2010 07:59 #393923 by chef otto
Thanks. Already have, I am keeping the stock rims and am going to just polish them up. Get the hubs anodized black. And I bought new ss spokes and nipples from Buchanans. Gonna go with Pirelli sport demons and have Wrights in Salt Lake lace and true them for me.

Here is a picture with the freshly painted tank, seat, fender and side panels:

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2010 22:24 #395311 by chef otto
Removed old spokes and trying to decide on polishing the wheels and hubs or anodizing them black. The new spokes and nip's are stainless steel.

A teaser with the new tank emblems and gas cap on...I wish I had more time to work on this bike. I hope I can get her all back together and ride her before winter which comes early to Park City.

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Sep 2010 21:27 #396390 by chef otto
Carbs Cleaned......Anyone ever painted the bowls and covers? I am thinking of painting these because I don't think they will polish up very well. I also painted the bracket that holds the exhaust as well as some other bit's.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
11 Sep 2010 05:41 #397611 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic 81 KZ650 Cafe Racer - Park City, Utah
She is looking SICK.
well done.
what are the clutch, and brake masters off of? where did u get the shorty leavers, i love those things.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Sep 2010 18:18 #398116 by chef otto
mark1122 wrote:

She is looking SICK.
well done.
what are the clutch, and brake masters off of? where did u get the shorty leavers, i love those things.B)

Thanks....I bought the whole set on Ebay from this link:
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...me=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

they had some other color options. it cost $98 plus $23 shipping for everything.

• chef otto
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Oct 2010 09:30 #407753 by chef otto
So a little more progress.
Starting to clean and rebuild the engine.

And I tried to paint the bowls and caps on the carbs. Gonna try 115 main jets for the pod's and 4 into 1.

Got the wheels and hubs powder coated and new stainless spokes from Buchanans. And some Pirelli sport demon tires........