another KZ bobber

More
12 May 2010 04:12 #367388 by btkz650
another KZ bobber was created by btkz650
My 78 KZ1000 frame modified to fit a 650 motor. Got her to turn over and has spark but can't get it to even act like it's going to start. Any ideas on what to try next let me know. Points, coils, carbs?
Thanks,
Bryan
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2010 04:28 - 12 May 2010 04:43 #367391 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic another KZ bobber
What happens if starting fluid is sprayed into carb intakes while attempting to start engine?

If engine runs temporarily on the starter fluid, could indicate a carb issue (eg., choke or pilot circuit) or fuel supply issue (eg., blockage) or fuel quality issue (eg., old gas or water in gas).

Are carb bowls full of fuel?

Compression test results?

When attempting to start a cold engine, the choke lever should be fully ON, and the throttle should not be even touched when spinning over the engine or using the kick starter. Throttle slides are supposed to be completely closed in fully down position. "Cracking" throttle while attempting to crank a cold engine is a no-no.

Reported "spark" must be both adequate quality (eg., fat blue) and properly timed. For right now, timing could be verified by static check, and later (when running) fine tuned via dynamic setting with timing light.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 May 2010 04:43 by Patton.

More
12 May 2010 12:24 #367467 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic another KZ bobber
Also check that the ignition coils are hooked up properly - don't rely on left/right ignition coil or colour of points wires according to a diagram, trace the wires from points to coils to confirm they are connected correctly.

Looking at the timing plate you have two sets of points, left and right. The wire (whether black or green) connected to the left set of points should connect to the coil that fires 1 and 4 (outside) cylinders, obviously the wire connected to the right set of points should connect to the coil that fires 2 and 3 (inside) cylinders.

If the points wires are crossed you will still have spark but it'll be 180 degrees out.

Did you mess with or disassemble the advancer/points cam? If so check if the points cam is installed correctly. There's a scribe mark on the outer edge of the point cam and a small hole in the advancer back plate - the mark should point to the side where the hole is.

Again, if the points cam is installed 180 degrees you will still have spark, just not at the right time relative to piston position/valve timing.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

More
12 May 2010 12:27 - 12 May 2010 12:29 #367468 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic another KZ bobber
Here's a pic that shows the proper orientation of the points cam:

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 12 May 2010 12:29 by OnkelB.

More
13 May 2010 04:09 #367617 by btkz650
Replied by btkz650 on topic another KZ bobber
I tried starter fluid and nothing. Checked the points and it looks like they may need replaced. Since I don't have a fuel tank on it yet, I just filled the carbs until they overflowed so I may have flooded it. I did go back a day later and tried again with no results.

More
15 Oct 2010 19:22 #406929 by kozaz
Replied by kozaz on topic another KZ bobber
Do you have any info on your build?
Like degree of rake?
Front forks?
Hardtail info?
Tank in pic?
Handle bars?
Forward Controls?

Can you tell I like your bike!

More
18 Oct 2010 14:51 #407458 by jkufen
Replied by jkufen on topic another KZ bobber
Im quite interested myself in your bike... im building a KZ 440 bobber and have you modified the rake on your bike any? it looks a little more stretched but it could be the fact that it does have a tank or the fender on it... I'm trying to figure out how I can rake mine out a little more.