Finally getting re-started on my KZ..

More
18 Oct 2009 15:20 - 18 Oct 2009 16:10 #328280 by KzJim
It's been 3+ years since I started my KZ streetfighter project.. a few moves and the lack of a work space has slowed things down a bit... but now I have a garage, time and mostly some funds to work on it..

I'm upgrading the front end to a nice set of '96 zx7-rr usd forks. I started out trying to put the old kz stem into the new zx bottom yoke by removing the kz stem from the yoke.. but the more I looked at it, the more I didn't like the way it needed to be done so I designed my own stem.
From the bottom bearing to the top lock nut is '76 kz below the bearing and above the lock nut matches the zx. I kept the nice kz chrome bolt and washer to give the top yoke a nice finish rather than the stock zx lock ring.. a bit of the old with the new...

I had it turned from 4130 CroMo.

The assembly went together just as designed/planned, the zx fork stops match up with the kz steering lock stops as well.. they might need to be trimmed but so far they seem to be in the right spot.

I'm also designing a new top yoke and risers. I hope to have them done in the next few months...

BTW.. I have a bottom yoke from a '97 zx7 and if anyone is interested I can have another stem turned and pressed in...

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2009 16:10 by KzJim.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2009 23:36 #328350 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Finally getting re-started on my KZ..
Very nice! Did you do the machine work? If so you could make a million making those and selling them to people who want to make the switch. Damn I just gave away my idea. :laugh:

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
19 Oct 2009 11:50 #328425 by KzJim
Replied by KzJim on topic Finally getting re-started on my KZ..
No, I had it made, but if anyone is interested I can have it fit any set of yokes.

Naiveté in grownups is often charming, but when coupled with vanity, it is indistinguishable from stupidity.
Tis better to remain silent and thought a fool - than to speak up and remove all doubt.
Did ever think that maybe you've been doing it wrong all these years?

More
23 Oct 2009 07:00 #329114 by yuvalbo1
Replied by yuvalbo1 on topic Finally getting re-started on my KZ..
look like good promises start, continue to update.

kz1000 1980
dr800 big 1992
camaro 1977
if you dont live on the edge you catch unnecessary place in this world.
yuval ISRAEL