Supercharged - injected Z1R

More
05 Aug 2009 10:11 #311755 by zippy
Replied by zippy on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
picture 0
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2009 17:12 #311839 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
That is just freaking SICK! :evil:

What part of this motor is Kawi any longer... Oh wait, there it is... the left engine side cover..... Oh, another one, the valve cover and head... Ok, almost had me there.... :laugh: :laugh:

That's just insane....

AVI of this engine running PLEASE! B)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
06 Aug 2009 05:45 #311950 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
WOW! I have just been BLOWN AWAY!:woohoo:
I will head for the shower now. Thanks.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
09 Aug 2009 09:13 #312667 by Hogslayer
Replied by Hogslayer on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
does this thing run. I REMEMBER SEEING THIS BIKE AT KIL KARE DRAGSTRIP 25 YEARS AGO NOT VERY GOOD RESULTS.

More
09 Aug 2009 11:03 - 09 Aug 2009 18:34 #312686 by zippy
Hogslayer wrote:

does this thing run. I REMEMBER SEEING THIS BIKE AT KIL KARE DRAGSTRIP 25 YEARS AGO NOT VERY GOOD RESULTS.

Wow - That takes me back a few years. I remember taking the bike down to Kil Kare maybe once or twice. As you mentioned - It was a disaster in a lot of ways. The bike wasn't really finished but I wanted to at least try and get some preliminary times. Unfortunately I had problems with the clutch (wouldn't completely release) and the brakes. I remember trying to stage the thing and the brakes were so bad that the clutch pulled me right thru the staging lights and so I just ran it down the track and was greeted by hoots and laughter by my friends who had come down with me.Pretty embarrasing but hey - toughened me up :-). Because of these problems at the track I couldn't really do much tuning while I was there so I pretty much just packed it up and went home. Over the last 25 - 30 years I made a lot of changes to the bike (and became more knowledgable) and got the thing to run pretty strong and most importantly - stay together.

I've fairly recently (last 5 years) started to restore it -(it sat in storage for a while). Mostly just doing a lot of polishing and hardware replacement and a little touch up paint. Haven't shot the final body paint but as it's up for sale at the moment I will let the next owner shoot what they want to on it.

Most important changes that I made since you probably last saw it 25 years ago are

Replace brakes and mounting bracketry with newer Performance machine models - made a world of difference

Change fuel line routing and add high speed bypass circuit as well as newer 3 way fuel cutoff valve. Got rid of secondary bypass circuit.

Add a Kinsler dial a jet system so that fuel mixture can be changed on the fly

Went to a longer swing arm - 8 inch over.

Went back to electric start from kick start or remote starter.

Changed displacement from 1325 to 1500cc and went from RC pistons to MTC

Went back to stock cams from Megacycle race cams.

Changed from an A.R.D. magneto to a Hahn HEI ignition which has a boost retard circuit which senses intake manifold pressure.

Changed back to stock handlebars and controls over the Italian clip ons and throttle that was on before.

Changed to a double throttle return spring from the duel cable throttle setup that I had before.

Changed rear set foot pegs to newer Tarozzi models. These are waaaaay more durable and solved some mounting problems (with air shifter)that I used to have.

Changed exaust from very short cutoff drag pipes to longer drag pipes with baffles. I will probably be putting on a huge Kerker AMA 4-1 pipe as the drag pipes even with baffles are pretty loud. Have one more coat of paint to go on the Kerker. Thing is huge :-) Needless to say - my neighbors ain't luvin me right about now :-)
Last edit: 09 Aug 2009 18:34 by zippy.

More
09 Aug 2009 15:49 #312715 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
sounds like my first 1428 project,made 1 pass down the track and about 25 miles of street riding and parked it in basement for last 15 or so years! :S this is why im in no big hurry with current project to make same mistakes running an 8sec motor in a 12 second chassis. :laugh: most people dont realize what an expensive learning curve it is once you pass a certain mark in performance instead of clearing the fence i tend to over compensate and clear the county line instead! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Aug 2009 17:27 #312730 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
That is a sweet ride! Love the old school aspect of it. Can you tell me about the rear sets? I found the Tarozzi site but it looks like they only sell universal kits. What kind of bracket did you use to mount them as it looks like you used the stock footpeg mount holes.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
09 Aug 2009 18:32 #312795 by zippy
TerryK wrote:

That is a sweet ride! Love the old school aspect of it. Can you tell me about the rear sets? I found the Tarozzi site but it looks like they only sell universal kits. What kind of bracket did you use to mount them as it looks like you used the stock footpeg mount holes.

Thanks for the compliments Terry. Glad ya like the bike. Here is a link for the Tarozzi rearsets including mounting bracketry. They work really great. Much better than the other Italian rearsets I used to have (which I can't remember the name of)

www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-Rear...-Kawasaki/Categories

More
09 Aug 2009 18:32 #312796 by AtLarge
Replied by AtLarge on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
That's cool zippy. Good job hangin in there on the project.

1973 Honda CL70-K3
1975 Kawasaki 350 F9-C
1983 Kawasaki KZ750-K1
1994 BMW K1100RS
2008 Suzuki GSX1300-BKK8 #1120

More
09 Aug 2009 18:57 #312800 by zippy
AtLarge wrote:

That's cool zippy. Good job hangin in there on the project.

Thanks very much. Needless to say it has been a very long, slow and expensive trail. Learned a lot along the way, had lots of help, met some great people, made a lot of mistakes, also did some good things, and got ripped off badly on the first blower that I had on it (Drouin).

It would have been fun to put another $5K into it for a rear end (wide swing arm, wide tire, outboard sprocket support, etc) as the setup on there now is no match for the motor. I would have also liked as part of the restoration to have shot a high dollar paint job and maybe updated the wheels but it gets pretty hard to justify it to a wife that is already bangin on me to sell it as well as a garage full of parts to support it.:(

More
13 Aug 2009 16:23 #313751 by Hogslayer
Replied by Hogslayer on topic Supercharged - injected Z1R
Seeing this bike jogged my old memory bank!A friend of mine
brought me over to your house in the early eighties! Restoring 3 old Kawis for my sons and myself. Knee problems put them on hold,hope to make big progress this fall!!!!