"Mille Moo"

More
28 Jul 2009 20:04 #309959 by anarki650
"Mille Moo" was created by anarki650
One of my son's favorite books from his really early days inspired the name for this latest incarnation of my soon to be no longer 650 (Mille, 1000cc, Moo, Kaw...lol :silly: )

Don't have the engine yet, but will soon, and have already started thinking about what's going to have to be done. After reading the other threads I've found about stuffing the big Kaw into small skins, the one thing I really didn't want to have to deal with is having to pull the motor to do a valve adjustment. There's just no clearance between the valve cover and the top frame rail, so pulling the cover can't happen without yanking the motor. Or can it?!?!?!?

I'm thinking that with a talented fabricator (a good friend of mine's brother in law) wouldn't it be possible to cut the top rail out and design it (with bracing) to be removable? I'm thinking build one sided sleeves on alternate sides of the removable section (bolts on the left in the rear and right in the front) and build threaded inserts into the remaining frame tube on both ends. On top of that, build a diagonal brace on both sides that runs from about the middle of the tube to the front (or rear depending on what will flow better and be less in the way) downtubes on the frame. These would bolt on and off at the down tube and be welded to the upper rail. I'm thinking that with this set up I'd be able to remove the top frame rail to be able to access the valve cover for adjustments. Best of all, can get the work done for a 12 pack and pizza. I'll brace the frame at the neck joint and also build gussets into the area previously occupied by the airbox. I'm thinking this will provide more than enough reinforcement for the big Kaw to be happy in the smaller, less rigid frame.

From the looks of the other builds the other motor mounts should be pretty easy. I'll need to fabricate spacers (likely make a template from cardboard that will be cut from steel plate with said friend's brother in laws plasma cutter) and then weld spacer of the appropriate size onto the back side of the mounts. This should allow me to bolt the motor into the reinforced (and easily top side accessible) frame without issue.

Beyond that it's a matter of finding the correct offset front sprocket, and probably losing some teeth on the rear sprocket to keep the front end from lifting at the slightest touch of the throttle, and getting her all wired and ready.

Anyone see any reason why any of these ideas would end badly?

Getting giddy about this build!!!! Pics to follow as available....stay tuned!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2009 20:09 #309961 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic "Mille Moo"
get a hold of me when you get ready to do the swap,maybe i can round up an empty engine to stick in there to figure out the mounts. B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
28 Jul 2009 20:23 #309965 by PLUMMEN
i wonder if the motor could be mounted lower in frame to gain some room to get cover off ? B)

More
28 Jul 2009 20:45 #309970 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic "Mille Moo"
How much ground clearance would I lose that way though? It's a definite idea!!! I like where it's going! I'll get in touch sometime and we'll see about that empty motor idea. Sounds MUCH less painful than wrestling the full motor in and out several times!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
28 Jul 2009 23:45 #309993 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic "Mille Moo"
Dropping the motor also lowers the CG and helps with the handling, wheelies, etc. Find a nice flat 4-1 collector or one that collects on the side and you should make back your ground clearance compared to the 2/2 stack 4-1 collectors.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
29 Jul 2009 00:30 #309996 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic "Mille Moo"
KawiConvert wrote:

Dropping the motor also lowers the CG and helps with the handling, wheelies, etc. Find a nice flat 4-1 collector or one that collects on the side and you should make back your ground clearance compared to the 2/2 stack 4-1 collectors.

Just put a sidewinder header on it and call it a day......lol... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :P

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
18 Sep 2009 19:28 #322437 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic "Mille Moo"
Finally got some progress on this!!! I sourced a complete suspension, brakes, wheels, rear sets, and clip ons from a 99 zx6 and started the mock up process on the suspension. The front end is almost a direct swap. I'll have to replace the bearing races in the 650 neck to fit the roller bearings (or get roller bearings that fit the 650 races), but the stem length is perfect so won't need any machining for that! The rear is going to need some work (obviously). The frame is just a bit narrow, but looks like I'll be able to grind out the frame enough to fit the swinger, plus fab up the monoshock mount. The center stand is going to have to go as it interferes with the placement of the shock. After I get this all done up I'll have to figure out my motor mounts and sprocket spacing, then get to building the motor. I'm thinking of going mild to moderate on the cams and big carbs, plus heavy duty valve springs and possibly some head work to push some serious ponies out of the motor. I'd like to hit the 125 hp range, shouldn't be too hard right?

Anyway, here's a pic of the mock up. Enjoy, I sure am!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
25 Sep 2009 23:46 #324001 by perattzi
Replied by perattzi on topic "Mille Moo"
Now THIS is going to be awesome! I think that a monoshock will prove easier than stereo shocks. Mounting mine has been an ongoing challenge. Keep it up!

1978 KZ650B w/ Zuki running gear project

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
04 Oct 2009 15:28 #325485 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic "Mille Moo"
anarki650 wrote:

I'm thinking of going mild to moderate on the
cams and big carbs, plus heavy duty valve springs and possibly some head work to push some serious ponies out of the motor. I'd like to hit the 125 hp range, shouldn't be too hard right?

just some freindly advice.
u need to do some reading and educate yourself on the build before u start to buy parts. call Larry Cavanaugh and he can set u straight on the right combo. follow his link in my build info below. u really need to think about what characteristic u want the motor/ bike to have. Low end torque?, mid range? Topend?
u have a unique build hear that requires some special thought. u mention mild to mod cams and big carbs. that is a recipe for no bottom end. but in your case , since u will have a wheelie prone frame setup, this may work.
Just give it some though before u dive in.
if u can find a way to move the motor forward , it will benafit u in 2 ways. it will help keep the front down, and alow for less rake, witch will improve the handeling.
what is your overall objective?
a wheelie machine? handeling?
u need to get the power to the ground. u will need more than the usual bracing to actualy improve the handeling with that motor frame combo.

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
04 Oct 2009 15:54 #325501 by PLUMMEN
125hp at rear wheel takes some money,the first 100 is pretty easy after that it gets expensive!(ask me how i know! :laugh: )