Restoring a kz750 thats older than me

More
01 Jul 2009 16:32 #303679 by Titus142
Restoring a kz750 thats older than me was created by Titus142
Ok not by much, Im 25 the bike is an 82 KZ750 E

I bought this on a whim for $900. Poor thing was in tough shape. It ran pretty good. It was quick. I had to have it the instant I saw it. I diffident even know what a KZ was at the time.

It had definitely sat for a while, and it had 32K on the odometer. Krylon paint job (they diddent even remove the tins to paint it red EVERYWHERE) and the worst seat ever.

I rode it, I rode it a lot. Put some new rubber on it first.

Oh and did I mention the starter clutch is junk? Had to bump start it everywhere. I got real stong real fast.

So since then I have painted and cleaned almost everything. I rebuilt the starter clutch. Half ass rebuild on the head (took it apart, put new seals in cleaned everything) Rebuilt the carbs. New front and rear bearings, chain, sprokets, New handlebars, made a new seat, dyna-s ignition, new plugs and wires.

I found a parts bike on craigslist. I traded an old welder I wasent using for it. Just mixed and matched parts.

Its still a work in progress. The motor (wich I have 3 of now) Needs to be gone through or something. And Im still having an issue with the charging system.

I wish I had more inprogress pictures. It was quite a ride this winter. Ill never forget when I pulled her out of the basement an got on her and opened it right up as soon as I hit the pavement. I rode around the lake once. It was 50 times faster than when I first got it, I had so sit down to calm down. What a rush.

Enjoy

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2009 16:32 #303680 by Titus142
Replied by Titus142 on topic Restoring a kz750 thats older than me
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2009 16:33 #303681 by Titus142
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2009 16:33 #303682 by Titus142
Attachments:

More
01 Jul 2009 16:34 #303683 by Titus142
Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2009 09:02 #304348 by halkaloogie
Replied by halkaloogie on topic Restoring a kz750 thats older than me
Neat bike I had an 82 750 for a few months I got it in a trade for some work I did. It was a fun bike but became the first bike I ever distroyed beyond repair. I snapped a rod which tore through both the 3rd and forth cylinders, everything seazed at 20 miles an hour, the force was so much that it snapped the rear swing arm and bent the frame. I was fine but there was not one things salvagable on that damn bike after that.

More
07 Jul 2009 21:17 #305266 by kylevk
Replied by kylevk on topic Restoring a kz750 thats older than me
first off congrats on a nice looking bike :) i just picked up an 82 750 as well but mine doesn't run....i've been trying to get her in running condition but since it was from an auction i've just been jumping from one project to another. any chance you've got a running motor you want to get rid of? i've searched craigslist and ebay but haven't found one of the same year. i'm just eager to get this thing on the road now from looking at yours!

kyle

More
09 Jul 2009 15:55 #305723 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Restoring a kz750 thats older than me
Kudos to you for the work you have done !

Great bike you have there. These things have bulletproof motors.

Mine is even older and older than my eldest dauighter. Could be the last bike I will ever own. Has 65,000 km on it. Apeman - where is he - has one with 100,000 miles on it.

Stay active, Ride safe and have fun.
Thanks for posting.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust