Fabbing up exhaust for my 77 kz650 cafe racer

More
03 Jun 2009 14:43 #296064 by anarki650
I decided that I really didn't like the look of the 4-1 pipe on my cafe racer. I wanted to shoot for something with more symmetry and a stronger sense of the aesthetic. I picked up a kind of beat up stock system from a 77 (someone had cut the reverse cones off the ends of the exhaust and left it as a megaphone with funky ends sticking out from the stock baffling) and a pair of short Brit style mufflers off ebay ($45 shipped for the pair of them).

I cut the stock system off just behind the crossover pipe:

I took one of the head pipes from a stock 81 650 CSR system that leaked badly and had some other issues and cut two perfectly symmetrical mid pipes with a perfect angle for what I wanted:

And then laid everything for the right side of the bike out on my garage floor to see how it was going to lay out:

Once I get it all welded up I'm going to high temp paint everything from the head pipes back to the cans and wrap that all with white header wrap, leaving the shiny chrome cans.

More pics to come as I make more progress...

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• oldkaws4ever
  • User
  • Have no regrets...... You only live once.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:57 #296065 by oldkaws4ever
Replied by oldkaws4ever on topic Fabbing up exhaust for my 77 kz650 cafe racer
Hey axton. Those will look sweet mounted on your bike, they are really cafe looking.

74 Z1a 900 (Apart and making it better than ever)
77 Kz 650b (Threw a rod, going to sandwich in a 900 or 1000 motor)
76 Kz 400d
05 ninja zx-636
81 Kz 750 Ltd
Darien, Illinois

More
03 Jun 2009 15:14 #296070 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Fabbing up exhaust for my 77 kz650 cafe racer
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting them done and mounted. I'm expecting them to be loud as hell, good thing I'm on good terms with all my neighbors and I can bribe them with a six pack of beer to just put up with the noise!!!

09 Kawasaki ER6n
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
08 Jun 2009 09:44 #297295 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic Fabbing up exhaust for my 77 kz650 cafe racer
Made some progress. Got the pipes welded up and mocked them up on the bike to take a couple of pics. Still have to clean up the welds and decide if I'm going to go through with the header wrap or just clean up the exhaust a bit with some steel wool...

Anyway, here's a couple mock up shots:

09 Kawasaki ER6n
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE