my new project that I need some info and help on

More
10 Mar 2009 12:06 #270938 by KZlearner8
Replied by KZlearner8 on topic my new project that I need some info and help on
Well I think I have to take off head because there is some kind of crap in the second cylinder in on the left some kind of white stuff can't even really get the mystery oil do there others you can see all the way down. This one there a lot of white stuff. I don't know what it is. If I can get the motor free I will buy a new head gasket and the ignition key. My Bro told me to do that before investing money into the bike. But like I said there's some kind of white build up in the one cylinder what could that be from.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2009 20:44 #271094 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic my new project that I need some info and help on
corrosion the piston is probably seized in the bore be very carefull and get somekind of fluid in there to unseize it marvel mystery oil, diesel fuel some thing like that have you drained the oil out of it yet .

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
12 Mar 2009 05:03 - 12 Mar 2009 05:07 #271314 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic my new project that I need some info and help on
Chances are, all of your pistons have corroded on top,
and what you're seeing is that #2 piston happens to be close to top dead center and you're just looking at the top of it because it's at the top of its bore, while the other pistons are down somewhere else in their bores.
But by all means, get some oil in there and let it soak.
Something else I'd try would be to throw a little thermodynamics into it (after it soaks a few days), by taking a propane torch and heating up one side of each bore. Heat has a way of expanding and moving things around, and it might move just enough to cause a crack in the corrosion, allowing the oil to seep in. And it wouldn't hurt to tap on the bores with a piece of wood or plastic mallet. Sometimes shock waves help.
I once had an old 18hp Evinrude motor that sat upside down in the Mississippi river during the entire '93 flood. It was locked up too, but after a few days of oiling, heating, banging and tinkering, it freed up and I was able to get it running. Smokes a lot, but then, it always did. It's a 2 stroke. My uncle has it now, and still uses it.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 05:07 by riverroad.