my new project that I need some info and help on

More
09 Mar 2009 13:06 #270624 by KZlearner8
Replied by KZlearner8 on topic my new project that I need some info and help on
Thanks so far I've taken out the plugs and they were rusty and had white stuff growing on the ends of them. On the right side the two cylinders look clean and were easy to get plugs out on left they were stuck. On the left side second cylinder in the hole thing was full of white stuff I don't thing you can see the piston with that white stuff. I almost stud on the kick start and it didn't really move at all. My buddy told me to put power to the starter and see if it does anything. I don't know if I want to do that. I'm not going to play with ignition. But I do want to know how to to lift the seat up. I don't care if I break it my grandpa has another one that will fit. Also how can I take that gas tank off. Thanks with your help so far. Learner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2009 13:25 #270628 by N0NB
Probably one of the rarest and certainly the most unique KZ of all time. I can remember lusting after one for a few years after Cycle World did a very extensive test on it. Start working that chrome with NEVR-DULL and I'll bet that a lot of it cleans up quite nicely.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
09 Mar 2009 15:05 #270657 by KZlearner8
Bike has 2,700 miles on it which I thing is very low. I looked over the fuel injection system in looks pretty good but the the fuel rail is a little rusty. My father thinks I should trash the bike or get rid of it because its rust from siting out side for 10 years and seat is ripped and motor is seized. I Don't know what to do I like that bike but it's going to need so work.I don't have to much money to spend either I'm thinking about taking off the head and checking out why theres stuff inside that one cylinder I was talking about. Also should I cut the wires from the starter and ad power to it and see if that can spin the motor for me. Because I can almost stand on kick starter and it wont move.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
09 Mar 2009 15:19 #270661 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic my new project that I need some info and help on
KZlearner8 wrote:

My buddy told me to put power to the starter and see if it does anything. I don't know if I want to do that. I'm not going to play with ignition. But I do want to know how to to lift the seat up. I don't care if I break it my grandpa has another one that will fit. Also how can I take that gas tank off. Thanks with your help so far. Learner

For starters stop listening to your buddy, if the engine is stuck and you can't kick it, the starter motor sure won't move it either. Putting power to it is only asking for trouble, you also have some very sensitive equipment on that bike that controls the fuel injection system including the computer that is housed under the rear of the seat.

Next why are you so hell bent on breaking the seat lock? It is pretty likely that all the locks on the bike currently match, why screw that up due to not being patient? Do what I told you, pull the ignition out, find the key number and order a key. Once you have a key you can open the seat and then take the tank off. You have had the bike for less than a day and it has been sitting for years, odds are pretty good you are not going to get it running in the next week.

There is a natural progression that you have to follow when bringing a bike back from an extended nap, just remember Rome wasn't built in a day. There are plenty of things you can work on while you are waiting for a key to be cut.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

• The Gringo
  • User
More
09 Mar 2009 15:37 #270666 by The Gringo
KZlearner8 wrote:

Bike has 2,700 miles on it which I thing is very low. I looked over the fuel injection system in looks pretty good but the the fuel rail is a little rusty. My father thinks I should trash the bike or get rid of it because its rust from siting out side for 10 years and seat is ripped and motor is seized. I Don't know what to do I like that bike but it's going to need so work.I don't have to much money to spend either I'm thinking about taking off the head and checking out why theres stuff inside that one cylinder I was talking about. Also should I cut the wires from the starter and ad power to it and see if that can spin the motor for me. Because I can almost stand on kick starter and it wont move.

Yes 2700 miles is very low mileage. As for your Father's opinion of the bike, yes it is rusty and at the moment looks like crap. That said I'm sure there are enough good bits on the bike that even if you decide it is not worth fixing you can make yourself a small fortune selling off the parts that are there and still good. For example the injectors cost almost $300.00 each from Kawasaki and IIRC the computer is around $1000.00 and no longer available. That ripped up seat can be recovered and is unique to this model. Just calm down, there is no way you can lose on this deal.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold

More
09 Mar 2009 15:59 #270673 by KZlearner8
OK I'm stopping because with no keys I'm going no where like you send. Are you sure that the ignition key is the same with the other two. And some one send look for a three digit number some where for key number. My dad wants me to get rid of because the motor is seized and something is wrong with the one cylinder. I cant take head off until I can take my gas tank of so where should I look for keys and if I took off head would i need new head gasket

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
09 Mar 2009 16:02 #270674 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic my new project that I need some info and help o
Where do you live? If you want to get rid of it I'll give you twice what you paid for it. LOL
Seriously it won't be running tomorrow so do what others have mentioned and be patient and it will come together. If you intend to trash the seat so you can see whats underneath it maybe you should sell it.B)

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
09 Mar 2009 16:36 - 09 Mar 2009 16:47 #270693 by keith1
you have a rare pc of machinery there with very low miles...i would venture a guess that there are probably only a handfull with that low of a mileage figure....you have a couple of choices...take it real slow and take your time and heed the advice given here at kzrider, knowing if your finances are limited, you might be a fair ways off on a bike you can ride down the street..or
curtain #2....you have nothing into this bike...put it on ebay with a reserve and sink the cash into
something a little less rough that you can twist a few wrenches on and enjoy.....keep us posted...we love pics......keith...ps what ever you do, dont hit that starter button with motor locked up..you are just gonna cause damage thats gonna be costly..
Last edit: 09 Mar 2009 16:47 by keith1. Reason: starter warning

• The Gringo
  • User
More
09 Mar 2009 16:51 #270701 by The Gringo
KZlearner8 wrote:

OK I'm stopping because with no keys I'm going no where like you send. Are you sure that the ignition key is the same with the other two. And some one send look for a three digit number some where for key number. My dad wants me to get rid of because the motor is seized and something is wrong with the one cylinder. I cant take head off until I can take my gas tank of so where should I look for keys and if I took off head would i need new head gasket

Alright we are making progress here. Yes, the same key that works the ignition opens all the locks on that bike. The key number will not be visible on the outside of the seat lock. It was on earlier models which was not the smartest thing Kawasaki ever did. It should be a Z letter followed by 4 digits. To remove the ignition switch, start by removing the speedo and tach cables where they enter the guages with a pair of pliers (they just unscrew). Then remove the two phillips head screws holding the headlight ring to the bucket. Once you have that out remove the two bolts holding the bucket to the bracket and pull the headlight bucket forward. You should be able to follow the wires leading from the instrument cluster into the headlight bucket and see what needs to be unplugged. On the bottom of the top triple clamp will be two nuts that hold the guage cluster to the top triple clamp, take these off. Grab the guage cluster and wiggle them backward and forward while pulling up on the cluster. It may take some wiggling because they are mounted in rubber grommets and it has been 29 years since they were installed. Once you get the cluster free from the triple clamp there are a couple of small philips screws holding the bottom plastic cover on, remove these. On the top of guages where the ignition switch pokes thru is a plastic ring, unscrew this and the ignition switch will come out. Stamped somewhere on the body of the switch will be the key number. You have to look closely because the numbers are small. Once you get a key you can just reverse the above to reassemble.:)

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold

More
09 Mar 2009 19:50 #270791 by KZlearner8
Well My brother came over my house a little while ago and picked the seat lock I got it open and everything is pretty clean computer looks to be in good shape all stickers are there. My brother told me to remove gas take and take the head off nice and slow taking my time and check pistons and cylinder walls out. He also said I should pour some mystery oil on pistons once I get head off. So I have a couple questions before I start this. How do I take off gas tank and if I remove head will I need to buy a new head gasket. Also where do I get the digits for the ignition key. Thanks for helping me out I know I ask a lot of questions but you guys still help me out anyway Thanks again

Learner

More
09 Mar 2009 20:00 #270794 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic my new project that I need some info and help on
the tank is easy there should be a rubber strap at the rear of the tank pull it off and you then can lift up once you remove the fuel lines and the vacuam lines it should come right off i can't remember if there is a fuel gauge in this model if there is it has a 2 wire connector that you unplug and the tank should lift right off,.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• The Gringo
  • User
More
10 Mar 2009 04:14 #270861 by The Gringo
KZlearner8 wrote:

My brother told me to remove gas take and take the head off nice and slow taking my time and check pistons and cylinder walls out. He also said I should pour some mystery oil on pistons once I get head off. So I have a couple questions before I start this. How do I take off gas tank and if I remove head will I need to buy a new head gasket. Also where do I get the digits for the ignition key.

Learner

Since you have the seat open you can just unbolt the seat lock. There are two 6mm bolts that attach it to the frame. Use a 10mm socket and remove the bolts. Once you have the lock out just look on the casting of the lock, somewhere you will find a letter Z followed by 4 numbers, that is the key number, give that number to the Key Men in the earlier link I gave you and they can make you a key.

To remove the gas tank remove the fuel line coming off the petcock on the left side of the tank, on the right side there is also a fuel return line coming off the fuel rail and it is clamped to the fitting in the tank, pull that line off also. At the rear of the tank will be a rubber strap holding down the rear of the tank, slip that off. Lift the rear of the fuel tank and pull back until the tank releases from the two rubber mounts towards the front of the tank.

If you remove the head, yes you will need a new gasket. You can buy a top end gasket set here www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=469
Costs $53.88. Before you go tearing the head off though, give the Marvel Mystery Oil a chance to work, it only costs about $4.00 a bottle. I normally wouldn't buy any product with such a goofy sounding name but this stuff has been around forever and I can tell you from experience, the stuff does work pretty well. You don't need to remove the head in order to pour it on the pistons. Once you remove the sparkplugs it has a straight shot to the pistons. Just shoot several ounces into each sparkplug hole and let it sit for a few days then try turning the engine over with a 17mm wrench on the end of the crank. If it still won't move give it a few more days and try it again. There is no reason to tear the head off if you don't have to.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold