Going to pick up a KZ many questions!

More
16 Feb 2009 14:11 #265427 by KZlearner8
Going to pick up a KZ many questions! was created by KZlearner8
Hello
I'm going to pick up a KZ this week end its a KZ 650 or a KZ750 I'm not sure. yesterday I went to go look at it it's bin sitting for a few years now out side under a tree on the side of a shed. When I went to look at it I just took a look at it didn't go over it to much there was a hole lot of junk around it so I couldn't see the back side of it. I talked to the guy for about an hour and he told me I could Take for free. As I can see bikes all there. Y noticed some wires hang down from the back of it it looks like the battery connectors. My father things it junk but its all there and paint still looks good. What should I do first once I get it home. My buddy told me to buy some sea foam and let it sit in the engine for a day or to before trying to start it. NO store around where I live sells it. so what should I use to clean it out. Also the owner said it ran when he parked it but he lost keys a well where could I get keys as well. I know I have a lot of question but I'm new to all this and this is going to be my new project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
16 Feb 2009 14:25 #265432 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
welcome newguy!

post some pic's ASAP,
plenty of help here.
i do all my shopping on line,
if like me sourcing stuff is hard order ahead of time,
and jeff @ z1, wiregeorge carbs are very helpfull guys,
last open a ebay account,

More
16 Feb 2009 14:29 #265433 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
this all depends on what you are getting and what you have to spend and how mechanically inclined you are.....should have a kicker..see if it at least
turns over....if you dont have a lot of cash and its seized, you are looking at a lot of time and money.....post up some pics when ya get it home...we love pics.....i m sure others will chime in with advice.....good luck....keith

• l0g1c
  • User
  • Hanging on for dear life.
More
16 Feb 2009 14:56 #265438 by l0g1c
Replied by l0g1c on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
Key Here

I forget where the matching number for the key is. Helmet lock, I think.

'81 KZ750 LTD
'72 CB350K
Omaha, NE

More
16 Feb 2009 15:13 #265443 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
Get it home grab a desired beverage and start cleaning. Ya got to get the tank open to see if it's cruddy. Remove side covers. This should help tell if wiring is hacked. Get seat off/open and then tank. We used to douche the bikes with WD40. Helps cleaning and helps taking things apart as well as some protection. Don't try to start it without cleaning out the airbox, carbs tank or petcock. While waiting for keys just clean and look for problens. Are tires cracked? Brakes functional? Hoses hosed? You can tell a lot just by looking at a clean bike such as if it has gone down or if it has been hacked. Rounded off nuts or stripped screws indicate a hack has been at work. Get a manual or download one www.manualz.info/Manuals_pdf/KAWASAKI/KZ...e%20Manual%20ENG.pdf
We need pics and GLuck!

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
16 Feb 2009 15:24 #265447 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
Here’s what I would do. First, I would NOT try to start it. I’d remove the fuel tank and get rid of the old fuel, set the tank aside for now. I’d remove the spark plugs and spray some lubricant in the cylinders and let them soak for a few days. I’d spend those days buying a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual and removing and cleaning the carbs. I’d then clean the tank as thoroughly as possible and remove the petcock and clean the screen. This would also be a good time to track down a key. If you look next to the keyhole on the seat lock you should see a 3 digit number (such as 805). Assuming locks haven’t been replaced, that’s the key you’ll need for the ignition (any key that fits should open the fuel cap). Take a look at eBay auction #250372674119, that guy will probably have your key. After a few days had passed, using my hand, not foot, I’d GENTLY try to see if I could cycle the engine using the kicker (spark plugs are still out – you’re NOT trying to start the bike, just seeing if the engine is frozen or not). So far, you haven’t spent many bucks. If the engine doesn’t cycle freely by hand you need to decide if you want to make the investment in tearing the engine apart to see what needs to be done. Assuming the engine isn’t frozen; I would now change the oil and filter, put in new plugs, replace the carbholders with new and reinstall the carbs and buy a battery. Clean out the air box and replace the air filer unless it looks clean. Before I even put gas in the tank I would install a quality inline fuel filter, otherwise some bad karma left in the tank will gook up the nice clean carbs you just reinstalled. Put in fresh fuel and run some through the petcock before hooking up the fuel lines to purge anything still hiding. Hook up the fuel lines and battery and you’re ready for the moment of truth. You’ll need the choke on full to start it, and I would use the kicker rather than the starter. If it doesn’t start, check for spark. Good luck. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• macskz1000m
  • User
  • MIke McKinney
More
16 Feb 2009 15:29 #265448 by macskz1000m
Replied by macskz1000m on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
Hey FREE is cool no matter what.You can take switch to locksmith.Local one here got me 2 keys for 13.00 good luck and enjoyB) B)

81 KZ1000 M1CSR,10,500 miles,80 Honda CT110,1,500 miles,2000 HD XLH1200,23,000 miles 99 Vette 100,000 miles coldair intake,borla exaust,predator programer.FUN,FUN,FUN.RIDE HARD,RIDE FAR,RIDE FOREVER.

More
16 Feb 2009 16:00 #265458 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
650ed wrote:

Here’s what I would do. First, I would NOT try to start it. I’d remove the fuel tank and get rid of the old fuel, set the tank aside for now. I’d remove the spark plugs and spray some lubricant in the cylinders and let them soak for a few days. I’d spend those days buying a Kawasaki Factory Service Manual and removing and cleaning the carbs. I’d then clean the tank as thoroughly as possible and remove the petcock and clean the screen. This would also be a good time to track down a key. If you look next to the keyhole on the seat lock you should see a 3 digit number (such as 805). Assuming locks haven’t been replaced, that’s the key you’ll need for the ignition (any key that fits should open the fuel cap). Take a look at eBay auction #250372674119, that guy will probably have your key. After a few days had passed, using my hand, not foot, I’d GENTLY try to see if I could cycle the engine using the kicker (spark plugs are still out – you’re NOT trying to start the bike, just seeing if the engine is frozen or not). So far, you haven’t spent many bucks. If the engine doesn’t cycle freely by hand you need to decide if you want to make the investment in tearing the engine apart to see what needs to be done. Assuming the engine isn’t frozen; I would now change the oil and filter, put in new plugs, replace the carbholders with new and reinstall the carbs and buy a battery. Clean out the air box and replace the air filer unless it looks clean. Before I even put gas in the tank I would install a quality inline fuel filter, otherwise some bad karma left in the tank will gook up the nice clean carbs you just reinstalled. Put in fresh fuel and run some through the petcock before hooking up the fuel lines to purge anything still hiding. Hook up the fuel lines and battery and you’re ready for the moment of truth. You’ll need the choke on full to start it, and I would use the kicker rather than the starter. If it doesn’t start, check for spark. Good luck. Ed

yeah, what he said..!!!!:laugh: i was just giving you a cursory look into your future as to whether
you have a spinner or something locked up tighter than a (i can fill this spot many ways, but will not)locked up motor.....there..i showed restraint....

More
16 Feb 2009 17:18 #265481 by KZlearner8
Replied by KZlearner8 on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
Thanks guys you are really helpful already. I'm going to pick it up on Sunday so I'll put some pictures up and tell you guys how it is. Thanks again

More
16 Feb 2009 17:55 #265495 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Going to pick up a KZ many questions!
As far as loosening up the motor goes, pick up some Marvel Mystery oil. Pour it down the spark plug holes and turn the motor over by hand with the kick start. Do this for about a week before you try to do much with the engine, it'll help the valves loosen up, helps soften rubber seals/o-rings, etc. Good luck!

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.