Z1 project blues

More
17 Dec 2008 08:34 #253199 by Dice
Z1 project blues was created by Dice
I am in the process of getting a 75 z1 back on the road after 20 years. I have had the bike for a year, but ran into a show stopper, lack of title for the bike. The buddy I bought it from swears he has the title, but can't find it. The kicker of the whole thing is that the bike has a replacement frame, no tag or numbers stamped on the head.
This makes tracking down a replacement title impossible, as I have no idea what the VIN is.

I have seen Z1 frames with paperwork in ebay very rarely, and most going for more than what I want to spend. I am considering trying to finding a titled kz frame cheaper and going that route as it is not going to be a showpiece or a #'s mathing bike anyhow. What would you do in this case, ( short of smacking the former owner :P ).

Anyone have a title for a totalled Z1/KZ 900 they want to get rid of? :S

1975 Z1B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Dec 2008 08:45 #253202 by elseed
Replied by elseed on topic Z1 project blues
You sure about no VIN on the steering head? On my '75, the VIN stamp is pretty shallow, enough that a thick coat of paint could easily cover it up. VIN is on the left side of the head, a little towards the front, middle of the tube.

I had my frame powdercoated, specifically asked them to skip that spot, but no dice -- you need good light to read it now and it's faint.

I say scrape for it!

'75 Z1B with mods

More
17 Dec 2008 23:33 - 17 Dec 2008 23:35 #253338 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Z1 project blues
I remember someone saying that the replacment frames didn't have vin's on them. You could have your friend go in and apply for a lost title. They could look up the onfo and get him a new title and then he could sign it over to you. The big trouble will be if you sell it and someone tries to get a new title in another state. When you get the title and find out what the vin is you could always stamp it in and have it powdercoated. That way if anyone ever asks you could tell them first that it's hard to see because of the coating. Ot just ship it to me. :P

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125
Last edit: 17 Dec 2008 23:35 by donthekawguy.

More
18 Dec 2008 00:29 #253341 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic Z1 project blues
Since you absolutely know the vehicle is "good" and won't raise any red flags in some government database, definitely have your friend try to get the state to re-issue a new title. The DMV just looks it up in their database and gives you a new form.

I had a similar problem when I brought my car back from a tour of duty overseas. The Govt of Japan (a non title country)insisted I surrender my title before they would issue a registration. When I came back to the US, I took all that paperwork with me to DMV in order to get a reissued title. I needn't have bothered, all they did was to look up the VIN in their computer, check my driver's license to make sure I was the legal owner, then issue me a replacement document.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)