1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!

More
13 Dec 2008 21:58 - 14 Dec 2008 07:08 #252485 by dman3998
1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up! was created by dman3998
I started this several months ago and was not planning to post it anywhere so I neglected to take a before pic.

Actually was was NOT planning to do a to the bone rebuild BUT as more parts came off the more it became obvious that it needed more than a wash and wax.

When I picked it up the brakes were non-existent and it needed tires. so off with the wheels and calipers for a rebuild. I then discovered that a PO had changed out the rear caliper for one from a 78 that was NOT the right offset and disk diameter. so the quest for the proper caliper was on.

So I have the wheels off and am thinking well I should change the bearings they are almost 30 years old. and now that the bearings are out I might as well blast and paint the hubs and rims......... on ..... and on. it has taken on a life of its own. kinda like plowing the south 40.

Before I realized it I had a frame with a motor and that was about it.

SOOOOO at this point the riding season is just about over anyway and with only about 10 bolts to total frame strippage I WENT FOR IT!

Some may have seen my post a few weeks ago about a beautiful thing.... a freshly painted frame.

here it is again:

I had a good day today got to work on bike stuff ALL day.

painted a bunch more parts AND built this nifty motor stand:

cant take any credit for the design but I think it came out pretty good.

What do these motors weigh? must be 150 - 200 lbs cant do a thing with out some kind of handling device.

I am thinking soda blast or walnut shells to clean up the motor. It ran really good so I don't think I need to do anything to it YET. that may be next winters project...

dman

Dman

SE Idaho

"Smart only goes just so far, STUPID is UN-limited"

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 Dec 2008 07:08 by dman3998.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2008 06:12 #252514 by Kawozaki
Replied by Kawozaki on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
Yeah,Yeah,Yeah...diggin' this one. It sure as hell don't hurt to pop the top on that motor while it's out. Nothin' major...just look at valve clearances. I'm lookin' forward to more pics...

More
14 Dec 2008 07:13 #252524 by dman3998
Replied by dman3998 on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
yup its on the list

I will remove every cover possible and do a power polish at least. so I will visit the clutch and valves at least.

I am also going to replace all the wire. carbs are being done by WG right now. all possible nuts and bolts will be replaced with SS socket caps. only will keep the custom ones like the axle and swing arm and long motor mount stuff.

It wont be anything super custom or fancy, just a basic resto.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
14 Dec 2008 08:40 #252538 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
B) B) B) B) B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
14 Dec 2008 14:31 #252589 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
Lookin forward to more pics.
You're doin a helluva job!!

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
20 Dec 2008 20:54 - 20 Dec 2008 21:14 #253762 by dman3998
Ok, more elbow grease. I started to clean up the motor, I plan to remove any and all covers that are screwed on and clean and polish them, but what to do with the trany crank and cylinders. I thought about soda blast and or walnut shells but they are really expensive and I don't have a compressor at home big enough for any kind of blasting so I would have to drag the block into work and make a big mess there.

I tried all the engine degreasers and simple green type stuff with a wire brush and hand scrubbing. It got the grease off but still looks like crape. So I found this little buffing arbor at Homecheapo and cut some scotch bright pads square with a hole in the center. and used my drill. the corded ones go faster, I tried the battery one first but like the corded better.

A single one gets into the slots not too bad. It's not perfect but it looks 100% better and will do until I overhaul the motor MAYBE next winter. It gives it a luster and I suppose if I used finer pads it may polish it more. I think the regular buffing wheels that are stitched would not flex into the corners and tight spots so this will have to do.

you can see the right side of the motor, that is the before area after it was decreased.

It does ok on the cylinder fins but it wont get down inside very deep.

at least on the upper ones.

I am still painting all the little parts. Did you know there are over 1000 parts on the parts list? even if you take off say 500 for the motor that is still a crape load of parts and fasteners.

Now I am getting nickel and dimed to death on the little rubber parts. all part of the fun I guess. I can never sell this pup, would NEVER get all my $ out of it. not to mention the man hrs. must have the addiction, kinda like meth, just once and your hooked.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Dec 2008 21:14 by dman3998.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
20 Dec 2008 21:14 #253765 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
Looking greatB) Keep the pics coming:P

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
20 Dec 2008 21:30 #253767 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
I'd think a little silver anti-seize on the SS bolts/screws will prevent future galling and make removal easier.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Dec 2008 21:36 #253769 by dman3998
I always use the silver on the all the fasteners, It makes them come off very slick in the future. I find if I chase the threads with a tap before I put in the new screws it helps a lot also. cleans out any dirt and gunk and cleans up any maybe so so threads from the previous screw.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B

More
20 Dec 2008 21:46 #253771 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
Great Job Dman! you're way ahead of me on the rebuild, I've been staring at my project wondering if I should dive into a full stripdown too. Still trying to figure it out.

Love the frame and the tips on polishing. Good luck

More
01 Jan 2009 17:02 #255713 by dman3998
Finally got some more time to myself so of course I choose to spend it on the B3 project:

Been working on the tank and plastics for a while and they have been in my shop on a paint horse kicking around for 2 months. been real lucky one of my guys didn't knock into it with the forklift or drop something on them.

I did the final 600 grit clear coat sand and put on 2 more clear coats. now its time to "cut and buff" they will look better than NOS factory as I am sure the factory did not put this much into them.

Before

After

I did get the case and unremovable parts on the motor clean, now I am waiting for my alum polishing kit from Caswell to shine up all the covers.

Dman

SE Idaho

79 KZ1000 LTD
Honda XRL650L
Yamaha RD350B
Yamaha DT400B
Attachments:

More
01 Jan 2009 17:58 #255718 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic 1979 KZ1000 ltd B3 from the bone up!
dman3998 wrote:

Ok, more elbow grease. I started to clean up the motor, I plan to remove any and all covers that are screwed on and clean and polish them, but what to do with the trany crank and cylinders. I thought about soda blast and or walnut shells but they are really expensive and I don't have a compressor at home big enough for any kind of blasting so I would have to drag the block into work and make a big mess there.

I tried all the engine degreasers and simple green type stuff with a wire brush and hand scrubbing. It got the grease off but still looks like crape. So I found this little buffing arbor at Homecheapo and cut some scotch bright pads square with a hole in the center. and used my drill. the corded ones go faster, I tried the battery one first but like the corded better.

A single one gets into the slots not too bad. It's not perfect but it looks 100% better and will do until I overhaul the motor MAYBE next winter. It gives it a luster and I suppose if I used finer pads it may polish it more. I think the regular buffing wheels that are stitched would not flex into the corners and tight spots so this will have to do.

you can see the right side of the motor, that is the before area after it was decreased.

It does ok on the cylinder fins but it wont get down inside very deep.

at least on the upper ones.

I am still painting all the little parts. Did you know there are over 1000 parts on the parts list? even if you take off say 500 for the motor that is still a crape load of parts and fasteners.

Now I am getting nickel and dimed to death on the little rubber parts. all part of the fun I guess. I can never sell this pup, would NEVER get all my $ out of it. not to mention the man hrs. must have the addiction, kinda like meth, just once and your hooked.

i like the drill idea..think i m gonna have to stop at the cheapo this weekend....looks great, keep the pics coming....