• Page:

TOPIC:

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 08 Jun 2008 10:07 #218719

• jdsmithinc
  • jdsmithinc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • You want some of this? Huh? Do ya?
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok guys, I just bought this bike a couple weeks ago and have posted a few times about various things. This bike has been sitting for quite some time (about ten years). So far I have pulled the carbs, cleaned the devil out of them, and reinstalled with pod filters. I did wired georges coil rewire setup (that man is a friggin genious!!). I put new points and condensers in it, and a new set of exhaust gaskets. I have the bike running pretty good right now. Other than new oil and filter, what other things should I check or change on it? I will have to buy turn signals for the front and back, and another set of shocks (bought the wrong ones) I have new tires on it. None of the wiring has been cut up anywhere (other than the coil rewire). I also need a points cover and the plate that goes behind the cover and points if anyone has something I can buy. I am also going to have to buy the correct rebuild kit for it since it doesnt have the OEM carbs. I was told that they look like 78 KZ1000 carbs. I am still going to have to track down the person that the bike is actually titled to so I can obtain the title (if there is even one to be had). I took it around the block yesterday when it cooled down and it felt so good to ride again. I really dont like the solid struts that the PO put on the rear, I dont believe that I could ride it very far on these. Anyhow if anyone has any advice for me that would be great.
74 Kawasaki Z1 900
78 Honda CB 750
97 Ford F-150
Mustangs, too many to list on here (I like to rip the pieces of junk apart)
Located in Shelby, N.C.
If life gives you lemons make lemonade, then find someone whos life was given vodka and have a party.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by jdsmithinc.

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 08 Jun 2008 12:11 #218734

• NickW900LTD
  • User
  • Nick
nice base to build on, wont take much to get it right.

Have fun with it!!
1976 KZ900 LTD (sold)
1977 KZ1000 LTD
1978 KZ1000 A2A

Pierceton, Indiana USA

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 08 Jun 2008 15:48 #218770

• harm
  • User
  • Tom
  • Thank you received: 13
You may want flush the brake fluid with some fresh and it sounds like you are ready to go:)
Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 08 Jun 2008 18:32 #218819

• tool maker
  • User
Nice ride! Good luck with the title.
Lancaster, PA

82 KZ1000 M2, stage 3 jet kit, pods, 4 into 1 Mac, Accel coils & wires.

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 08 Jun 2008 19:42 #218841

• Sandy
  • User
  • Fly High,Tony
  • Thank you received: 13
Hows the chain and sprockets?
And yes,like mentioned...great starting point!B)

The bike looks healthy.
1977 KZ1000 A-1

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 09 Jun 2008 06:16 #218901

• Marc
  • User
Great bike man! I would replace the points with a solid state style ignition like the Dyna S, It will run like a top. Also you may want to find a set of larger carbs. I have a set of stock 1992 GSXR carbs and it woke the old 900 right up.

Good luck!

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 10 Jun 2008 14:26 #219179

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
  • Thank you received: 109
check the brake lines for cracks. I would get the title befor u put any more money into it. Just in case.Good luck.
76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

74 Z1 900 needs to be roadworthy 21 Jun 2008 19:47 #221422

• jdsmithinc
  • jdsmithinc's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • You want some of this? Huh? Do ya?
Ok here are a bunch of pics of my bike since I put the turn signals on it, and the kerker 4 into 1 exhaust. My dog is an attention whore by the way (his name is Harley and he says he wants to gnaw on your arm lol). I purchased a 75 Z1 for parts, and it has the stock carbs on it. I have included a few pics of those carbs. I am in need of the T fittings that go between the carbs as the old ones are cracked up really bad and leaking. I have a rebuild kit for the stock carbs but dont know if I want to go in that direction at this point. I believe I am going to try to get it as close to original as possible. I have a crap load of parts from the 75 left including the engine which is supposed to be good. I followed Georges advice and put the 115 main jets in it but that only made my problem worse. I will be putting the 113's back in and see how they do with the kerkers. I am thinking about taking the springs off the rear shocks that are on the parts bike and painting them black or even red to match the paint job. I really need to get shocks on it. I dont like to get Iron-Butt after 10 minutes of riding. Anyhow there is not much improvement to it yet but I am getting there. I am going to post some other questions in a minute because this is getting to long. Thanks, Joe.

74 Kawasaki Z1 900
78 Honda CB 750
97 Ford F-150
Mustangs, too many to list on here (I like to rip the pieces of junk apart)
Located in Shelby, N.C.
If life gives you lemons make lemonade, then find someone whos life was given vodka and have a party.

• Page: