• Page:

TOPIC:

'81 KZ 440 21 May 2008 19:05 #214995

• MSGAmling
  • MSGAmling's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Its better to burn out than it is to rust
  • Thank you received: 0

Here's my newest project. Took a couple of pics after unloading it tonight. Don't know when I'm going to get started on it, but it will be a good project for rainy days I can't ride.

She's an 81 KZ 440 and looks very stock and original, other than the Travelcade cover over the seat. The clock only shows 6,500 miles, but I don't know if that is actual or not. I picked it up from a nurse over at the medical center, who called me aside while I was over there on a call and said she heard I tinkered around with old bikes. She offered me this bike that she said ran for her last year, but wouldn't start this year. She left the old gas in it from last fall and that might be the problem. We'll see once we get into it and take a look at the carbs. She's fairly solid, but will need a few things like cables, fork outer mud boots, rubber intake manifolds (some small cracks) a couple of turn bulbs, all fluids changed out, and NEW PAINT.

Does anyone know the stock colors, and what possible matches are for a '81 KZ 440? I've only seen pictures of that year in Blue and Red but don't know if there are other colors.

I was surprised to find CV carbs on the bike. My '81 KZ 650 still had the older Mikunis on it. Were CV carbs standard on the '81 440? I haven't gotten a manual for this bike yet, so don't have a reference.
81 KZ650H CSR (Stock except WG Coil Mod and Air Injector elimination)
80 Yamaha DT125G Enduro
81 KZ440 Stock
76 Honda CR250M Elsinore - Sold
80 Honda XR200 - Sold

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by MSGAmling.

'81 KZ 440 21 May 2008 21:58 #215030

• EasyRider1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I also ride an '81 KZ440 LTD. That one looks pretty clean overall. I know they had black with gold (I think or gold and red) striping on the tank. I actually bought a brand new factory painted tank on ebay for like $100 + shipping. It looks like your rear grab bar may have been bent a little but maybe that's an illustion. Anyway, nice bike and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
1978 KZ650C

'81 KZ 440 22 May 2008 06:40 #215075

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
Yup those carbs were used on that bike. They are cake to work on, and as long as they are clean pretty much trouble free. The most important thing is to make sure the manifolds and airbox are sealed up as best you can. Air leaks around these will cause lots of problems.
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

'81 KZ 440 22 May 2008 16:35 #215186

• Breeze
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Good looking bike...

The 440's are a pretty solid bike and easy to work on as well. We bought my wife one last year. It's an 82 but it has stock colors. Here is a pic for ya.

Sorry this pic is so big.Tried to resize it but....

Columbus.Ohio

• Page: