Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Too late now... 21 Apr 2008 20:36 #208106

• Lenwoodbluz
  • Lenwoodbluz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I had cloths in the carb intakes. the exhaust holes weren't sealed but I assumed that they would tape her up. I guess I'll call there tomorrow.

OKC_Kent wrote:

The shop may have a different media to use instead of sand. Maybe plastic, walnut shells, glass bead.

Did you seal up every opening real good?

5 Seconds Hating is 5 Seconds Wasted!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Too late now... 21 Apr 2008 23:18 #208132

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Ask if they have corn husk. A couple of years back I blasted my motor with sand and was really proud about it. Then I took the motor apart last year and found sand around all of the studs inside the motor. :ohmy: Not sure how the sand got in there but it did. I guess I got luck but it sure is a mess to clean up.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Too late now... 22 Apr 2008 03:34 #208150

• rdgrnr
  • User
Most shops that offer sandblasting services, know enough to use the right abrasive for the job. Whether, it be steel shot and sand for hard metals, or bead and walnut for the softer materials such as plastics and aluminum.
However, it would be in your best interest to call them to find out what they are using so you can be prepared. Also ask if all openings were "completely plugged" or not. If not, be prepared for a tear-down and total clean of that motor.
Needless to say, but I will anyway, anything that gets in there and not cleaned out, will destroy the cylinder walls, rings, bearings, and any other moving parts....guaranteed.
Good luck with this project:)
77 KZ650B1
80 440 LTD Sold
78 GL1000 Naked Wing Sold
80 CM400E Sold
Brainerd, MN

Talked to the shop 25 Apr 2008 15:58 #209092

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
I caught the shop before they closed and let them know that I hadn't plugged all the openings. He said that they would be going over everything and plugging what needs to be plugged and masking off what needs to be masked (chrome starter cover and polished aluminum covers)

I'll Call and see what medium they will be blasting with on Monday.

Now I just wish it would stop raining so I can paint the stuff I need to paint. (frame, pedals, levers, forks, swing arm...etc)
Guess it could be worse...could be snow.

77 650 Rip-Down 25 Apr 2008 16:30 #209101

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
77_650B1 wrote:

Yeah I found a rear mag with a drum brake, think it came from not a 650 though, I cant remember what, maybe a 80 or 81 KZ550. I went through the parts fiches for mine and the bike the wheel came from and it had the same brake assembly and axle/spacers so i went for it. That was back when i was a fiche whore, althoguh I think I still am, I've been on kawasaki.com today more than I've been here lol.

Thank you for the "fiche" idea. I looked online and found the microfiche for my bike and it is perfect for looking up "compatibility" issues.

here is the link. www.cmsnl.com/search.php?s_name=kz650

I don't know if this is common knowlege or not but I thought I'd post it just in case someone finds it usefull.

Talked to the shop 29 Apr 2008 17:37 #210138

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
Holy crap!!! it snowed yesterday. What's up with that??
Hoping to have photos soon of some progress if mother nature stops playing games with me

Lenwoodbluz wrote:

I caught the shop before they closed and let them know that I hadn't plugged all the openings. He said that they would be going over everything and plugging what needs to be plugged and masking off what needs to be masked (chrome starter cover and polished aluminum covers)

I'll Call and see what medium they will be blasting with on Monday.

Now I just wish it would stop raining so I can paint the stuff I need to paint. (frame, pedals, levers, forks, swing arm...etc)
Guess it could be worse...could be snow.

Talked to the shop 10 May 2008 11:43 #212566

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
I just hung all my parts for priming and painting. It took me more than a day....I was totally not expecting this.

I had a box filled with about 30 parts and I thought that it would take me an afternoon....but the parts kept multiplying.

I had taken the foot pedal off...ONE PART!!! yeah right!!
Dismantled the foot pedal....bolt, nut, two washers, the pedal, the bracket and the pin......SEVEN PARTS TO CLEAN, SAND AND HANG

Funny how you just don't think about that when you decide to do something as silly as "rip the bike apart."

here's a shot of most of the parts. I'll be back when I get more done. Still waiting for the body parts to be done.

My seat is officially done and I will be picking that up next week when the money tree in the back yard goes into full bloom (150.00 for seat reconstruction.) hope it looks good.

Man I can't wait to ride...........
Attachments:

Talked to the shop 10 May 2008 11:43 #212567

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
I just hung all my parts for priming and painting. It took me more than a day....I was totally not expecting this.

I had a box filled with about 30 parts and I thought that it would take me an afternoon....but the parts kept multiplying.

I had taken the foot pedal off...ONE PART!!! yeah right!!
Dismantled the foot pedal....bolt, nut, two washers, the pedal, the bracket and the pin......SEVEN PARTS TO CLEAN, SAND AND HANG

Funny how you just don't think about that when you decide to do something as silly as "rip the bike apart."

here's a shot of most of the parts. I'll be back when I get more done. Still waiting for the body parts to be done.

My seat is officially done and I will be picking that up next week when the money tree in the back yard goes into full bloom (150.00 for seat reconstruction.) hope it looks good.

Man I can't wait to ride...........
Attachments:

Finally Some Painting Done 14 May 2008 11:10 #213572

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
I finally got to do some painting on my parts. all black is my plan. Should match the Mags that I picked up for her.
My front mag is from Ebay and belonged to a kz550. The thing is brand new...still had the UPC sticker on it (Finally some good luck) It also came with a brand new tire and a good Axle (Which I needed anyway)....Not a bad deal for $90.00 shipped.

Here's some photos (still don't know how to post more than one photo to a post so I apologize for the numerous posts.
Attachments:

My Parts hanging and painted 14 May 2008 11:12 #213573

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
Here's the shop where my parts are hanging and curing.

Attachments:

...And My Front Fender 14 May 2008 11:18 #213576

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
also the Brake lever (Or clutch...still have to figure that out), my Brake pedal and the Drum brake connecting rod.

Attachments:

...And My Forks 14 May 2008 11:20 #213578

• Lenwoodbluz
  • User
I think I'm gonna cover the bit of chrome with some black rubber shock covers.

Attachments: