Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 13:27 #195158

• RollingStock
  • RollingStock's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
i wasnt going to post this bike untill its was done. but ill post sum pics along the way..pick this bad boy off craigslist awhile ago. also pick up a 90s zx6D as a parts bike.. did sum work to it today. it bike is going to be alow moving. since my z1 just droped a vavle and killed the motor... but here with go

the PO was a retard and let the bike sit for a year ouside uncovered without the carbs on. so motor needs to be rebuild. i started getting the motor ready for the rebuild but after adding the prices up, im leaning towards a newer style 600cc sport bike motor. but we'll see, i might try and save this motor.. since i kinda building this for my GF to ride(first bike)..
73 z1900 street nitrous drag bike(powered but honda)
83 kz750 turbo street fighter project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 16:06 #195185

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
i always wanted a little bike for beating around on ,i also liked the look of the early 80s (honda)nighthawks that had the tailpiece on themB) i will now return to my bunker as the honda parts are thrown at me!:whistle: :P ok mid 80s

Post edited by: PLUMMEN, at: 2008/02/17 19:08
Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 16:11 #195187

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
Still recovering,some days are better than others.
Attachments:

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 16:18 #195192

• RollingStock
  • User
ya lol there have been a couple of nighthawks on craigslist lately but the're out of my price range.. sweet looking bikes.. i think most of them are shaftys?.. cant really do anything im into with that hahah... i have a 80s(wanna say 82) cb750c at my dads house in FL.. its "used" to look like this... well probly still does for the most part.. the frontend is on my Z1 now.. but probly will put it back on the 750 once i get another frontend for that bike

heres a pic.. i was gonna get the nighthawk tail but moved before i could put money in it

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 19:57 #195248

• hannah1
  • User
If that's the stock bodywork you may have an '81 . Good to see that someone here's playing with a 550 (even if it's going to be a girls bike) . There doesn't seem to be much interest in the 550's here . What running gear did you graft on ? I stripped an '81 GPz550 down to the frame today to start a project 550 also . Good luck .

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 20:16 #195254

• RollingStock
  • User
ya its stock body work.. the tag on the neck(frame) says 80. check it today to make sure haha

i duno yet. probly just gonna looking around for a cheap motor swap.. so far i only have $60 for the bike +gas and $40+gas for the zx6D parts bike both have titles haha

not really going to be a girls bike.. just one my gf can learn on and ride(just tell her its for her haha the guys know what im talking about).. but she says shes doesnt want to ride.. shes scared so ill probly just end up riding it and selling it once its all done.. might just keep it at the shop, i hangout at as a show bike for his shop.. gonna get his painter to re-do the paint, gonna keep the paint stock color with the same pin striping.. i think the bike is going to look sick. but im kinda tall and it feels like im on a moped.. which might be good for long rides.. we'll see.. haha i got this bike to try and resale.. guess that didnt work out..

but pm me if u need any motor parts.. this motor was whole..im not useing it. im gonna part it on ebay so let me know if u need anything

a 17 Feb 2008 21:18 #195263

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
a
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

Last edit: by KZ250LTD.

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 17 Feb 2008 21:35 #195265

• hannah1
  • User
81's would have an '80 build date on the steering head . '80 model was black w/all silver motor and chrome front fender .How many miles on the motor parts ? Where are you located ? What motors are you cosidering ? Early 600 ninja motors are not too hard to get in there , basically same bottom end . 20 more hp too . I heard of a 750 ninja motor swap , but haven't seen it . I've also heard that early oil-cooled GSXR/Katana 600-750's will go in also , but haven't actually seen that either . Cheap and motor swap have never made it into the same sentence for me , good luck to you on that one .

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 18 Feb 2008 06:39 #195317

• RollingStock
  • User
hannah1 wrote:

81's would have an '80 build date on the steering head . '80 model was black w/all silver motor and chrome front fender .How many miles on the motor parts ? Where are you located ? What motors are you cosidering ? Early 600 ninja motors are not too hard to get in there , basically same bottom end . 20 more hp too . I heard of a 750 ninja motor swap , but haven't seen it . I've also heard that early oil-cooled GSXR/Katana 600-750's will go in also , but haven't actually seen that either . Cheap and motor swap have never made it into the same sentence for me , good luck to you on that one .

ur probly right.. havent even looked at the title in awhile.. i duno the miles, i have a big bag of parts ahah. i tryed to find the gauges but without taking everything out the bag. so i gave up.lol. thought about the early ninja motors but havent seen any in awhile here.. im looking at a can-a-tuna(katana) right now for $300 but waiting on a reply to see whats the lowest he'll take. since its been wrecked with no title.

well iv been ofterd a banait 600 motor for free and a another yamaha 600 motor for free but need to find a lot of little pieces, so im not even trying to go that route. i wanna find a whole bike thats been wrecked. so i can have the harness and all the little bolts

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 18 Feb 2008 07:56 #195327

• hannah1
  • User
Here's a link to a dead ended thread on these forums about GSXR swap . There aren't really any details in it about whick KZ model it was going into or anything stating if it ever got done . I have a bare 550 frame and a motor to measure up , but I don't have access to a GSXR motor to measure . Second link is a ZR550 Zephyr with a 600 Ninja motor . kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...mit,20/limitstart,0/
www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=91680

Ebay 600 Kat motor in VA cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-00-SUZUKI-K...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post edited by: hannah1, at: 2008/02/18 11:26

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 18 Feb 2008 16:55 #195423

• RollingStock
  • User
holy crap.. thats the same motor i can get for free.. i gonna get it maybe use it as moke up

RS's: 80 kz550a build thread *w/pics* 18 Feb 2008 17:00 #195425

• Breeze
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I like the stance the bike has.. I would be very interested in which year 90's zx6 you used for the swap.I too have a 550 project going.
Columbus.Ohio

• Page: