Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 05 Oct 2007 15:40 #174786

• SandRacer
  • SandRacer's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Yup, I know. You older hands have seen this bike before. Number 2 son, "Arkaix", bought it a few years back and set out to build a bobber. After he took off for the Navy I decided it would make a good dual-sport project. Since then, I've sold or parted out all my other bikes. Now, this one will become a hardtail chopper. I'm currently looking for a springer or girder front end for it and getting ready to "hard tail" and extend the rear.

While I won't be able to ride as much anymore, I just gotta have a project going in the shop. I've always wanted to build a chopper so, what the heck!

Post edited by: SandRacer, at: 2007/10/05 18:41

Post edited by: SandRacer, at: 2007/10/05 21:40
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 05 Oct 2007 16:36 #174796

• Oldwolf
  • User
Good to see you back at it SandRacer. I know the Chopper will be top notch.
1977 KZ1000A1, 1105cc,Mikuni RS34mm FS, K&N Pods,Kerker 4/1,Dyna S Ign,Coils & Plug Wires,Progressive Sup. Front&Rear, Derale Oil Cooler.

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 05 Oct 2007 16:51 #174802

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 435
well if it turns out even half as good as the "Fat Kaw" you did a few years back - and I still have that calendar pic - it will be spectacular,

Keep us updated.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 06 Oct 2007 10:46 #174903

• scumbag
  • User
  • Lewd, Screwed, and Tattooed
  • Thank you received: 5
MAKE IT HAPPEN...lookin good
sept.1976 kz650
1980 kz650

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 06 Oct 2007 13:24 #174928

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Your cop bike is still one of my all-time favorites... feel any pressure???
:laugh:
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 07 Oct 2007 10:01 #175056

• SandRacer
  • User
Biquetoast wrote:

Your cop bike is still one of my all-time favorites... feel any pressure???
:laugh:

uh........yup.:blush:

My original plan for the Fat Kaw was to chop it but it was something that just came out the way it did. So, I'll just go the same route with this one. I'm starting out with a basic idea of what I want and will see what happens from there.

Currently, I'm all over Ebay collecting parts like a gas tank and, yes, a cop seat. What the heck, I like cop seats. Will that make it an orthopedic chopper?

I suppose it may turn out to be more of a bobber but, what the heck..........:P

It will definitely get a stretched hardtail. I may keep the KZ 750 front end on it after seeing the price of springers.

Now, I've got to go out and sit and stare at it.......with tape measure and angle finder in hand.:) Later, the wife and I will stare at it together with some designing fluid (sparkling beverage) in hand.:P :laugh: :P

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 07 Oct 2007 15:06 #175098

• SandRacer
  • User
I'm still debating about whether or not to get a springer front end. The ones remotely close to my price range use a spool front hub (no front brakes).

But, it got me to thinking about the rear brakes. What's on the bike is a 16 inch cast wheel that was bead blasted to a natural finish and then clear-coated running an old drum brake.

Hhmmmm??? Sure would be nice to have a rear disk brake. So I wander out to the parts pile behind the shop and, lo and behold, there sits a 16 inch rear cast wheel with a disk!

I haul it into the shop and notice that it has a 32 tooth 6-bolt sprocket on it. The stocker on the 440 is a 45 tooth 4-bolt. Back to the parts pile.

Yup, there on an old 250 Bison rim is a 6-bolt 45 toother. So........ I pull it off and head back into the shop. DAG NABBIT!!! The center hole is too small.

But, before I sit down to cuss a swear and grind/file that hole out to 80mm, I hit the Z1 store. Sure enough, Jeff has just what I need and only $28.

I have boxes full of old Kawi calipers and master cylinders so it shouldn't be too much trouble to rig up the (soon to be) hardtail with a rear disk set-up.

I also found another front wheel with a single disk, the original from the 440. So, now I have a choice to make: do I run one front disk, dual front disks (on there now) or a springer with no brakes?

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 08 Oct 2007 12:07 #175228

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello Paul,

Good to see you back!

I look forward to watching your project evolve. I am kicking myself for passing up the opportunity to buy the FatKaw. That was a great bike. I hope the new owner is taking good care of it.

Re your brakes: You know that no-one here with any riding experience will encourage you to go without a front brake. That is where a large part of your stopping power originates. Certainly dual discs wold be better, but a single disc with a more modern brake pad (with higher friction characteristics) will be more than adequate, I bet. Remember, many of these bikes came with only a single disc up front oiginally.

I bet the weather is just starting to cool down from the 100+ degree days of summer there. This should be a good time to work on your project.
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 08 Oct 2007 23:46 #175330

• Mark Wing
  • User
  • Thank you received: 22
Hi Paul, I loved the FatKaw, I can't wait to see how this one turns out. Nice to hear from you.
Mark
Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 09 Oct 2007 08:54 #175375

• SandRacer
  • User
Starting to look like a KZR reunion.:)

I have decided to stick with the dual front disks that are on it. Yesterday I got the rear wheel with the disk all broken down and ready to go in the blast cabinet.

After looking at the measurements and getting the wife's input, I've decided that a police seat will just be too wide for this bike so, I'll use a sprung solo seat instead.

apeman ~ I wish the FatKaw had gone to you. I won't go into details, here, but it was not a happy parting. I will give you a hint, though. The buyer showed up with a short-bed mini-truck a fold up ladder and some 2x10 planks to pick her up and haul her half way across the country. The planks are still here. Number 2 son wouldn't even let me finish telling him the details over the phone. He was too upset.

At least the KLR went to a good home. I sold it to my old partner.

MarkWing ~ Last night the wife asked," So, will Mark be painting this one too?" All I could tell her was that I haven't gotten that far in the plans yet.

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 13 Oct 2007 07:15 #176000

• outatimeoutlaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Can I come & live in your garage???

SandRacer's new project ~ Chopped Twin 13 Oct 2007 08:37 #176006

• SandRacer
  • User
outatimeoutlaw wrote:

Can I come & live in your garage???

:unsure: Hmmmm....... how are your welding skills?:laugh:

• Page: