Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 10:44 #152321

• abilane78
  • abilane78's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Brought to you today by the letters K and Z.
  • Thank you received: 0
Mellvis went to Indiana last night and picked up a new bike for me that we won off eBay. I appologize if the guy we sniped was here....

Got it for 708.00. It's an 80 650 LTD manufactured in July of 79. It is the SR's twin!! It's basicly an SR with different brakes and emblems. The guy said it was black before, but that he'd painted it blue. Well, the paint isn't great, but hey, I can't complain too much. The exhaust looks great. The chrome that's on it shines up really nicely. I wish he would have taken the pin stripes and emblems off before he spray bombed it, but this was a case of guy didn't know better... With a fresh battery and some starting fluid it started right up and even though it was only running on 3 it really didn't sound too bad. I'm sure that after the carbs are gone through and cleaned up and some fresh gas is put in and we replace the spark plugs that it will be a great bike for me to get back out on. I'm considering putting the purple SR bodywork that we have on it once I get back in the hang of riding again. It's only been about 3 years since I've ridden, I'm hoping it will all come back to me. So anyway, here is a few pictures.

See you guys,
Abbie

Again, I'm sorry if the person I sniped was here.... Still love ya though!

Post edited by: abilane78, at: 2007/06/24 13:56

Post edited by: abilane78, at: 2007/06/24 14:43

Post edited by: N0NB, at: 2007/06/24 19:31
KZ is Japanese for COOL!!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 11:45 #152325

• Rich
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Nice bike! Now you two can ride together.

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 12:36 #152334

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 304
Dang! Nice score:) Congratulations and no, it wasn't me bidding against you.
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 12:39 #152335

• abilane78
  • User
That's what I'm hoping eventually. I have to get my helmet back from a buddy who borrowed it. I hope to be on it completely on my own by the end of summer. I'm not looking forward to the endorsement test, but I gotta do it eventually...

My helmet is a bright white full-face. I'll look like a good idea going down the road. Thought about painting the little filaments on the back of it.

Mellvis reminded me to point out that the serial number is 000140. Is this significant? Was this possibly the first production day? Is there a place we can find that information.

Well, going out to play with the new toy. That's right, I'm going to go tear the carbs down and start cleaning... I ride, I turn a wrench, and I embarrass most HD riding biker-men....

Abbie

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 13:07 #152338

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
You go girl! Only active female here since the couple that is rebuilding a beat up 400. Serial no. is for the insurance. Change oil and filter, spark plugs, lube chain and run some carb cleaner through the carbs.... a in tank thing. I use this thing called Gumout that cleans the valves. O and give it a good wash, but don't wet it after it was just ran (cracking your cylinder head like that). I got a pic for ya
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 13:09 #152339

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
LIKA THIS ONE.....
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 13:41 #152351

• abilane78
  • User
I like!!

I can't decide, black pearl (which is how it started...) or candy persimmon red. Mellvis has the red NOS bodywork on the SR, so I don't wanna have a total copycat bike, but man the red is sure eye catching. The black and the purple on the SR do seem to fade into the surroundings, but the red, man you just see that for miles...

Then I could also paint it something totally retarded and girlie.... I was joking with Mellvis about a bike we'd seen once that was pink and looked like someone had laid lace on it and spray painted white over it...

No, not going to do that, but hey, it would stand out....

Saw a pink Kaw at The Lube that had purple tribal pinstriping on it.... It was interesting.

Still toying with the idea of crocheting a seat cover, just to see if I can...

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 14:37 #152364

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey Abby good score! Where have you guys been? It seems like it has been a while since you have been on.
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 15:51 #152380

• abilane78
  • User
I've been around. Just not posting as much anymore. Since I hadn't ridden in a few years and when we had to move and sell the 400 and all that jack I just sorta fell out of it. I still ride with Mellvis and he is still tinkering around on the SR and collecting as many NOS parts for it that he can find.

I check in here probably a couple times a day and read the Chit Chat forum mostly cause that's where I get the most chuckles. Most of my time online is spent at useless websites (Myspace, mostly) and looking at websites dedicated to the other joy in my life.

I have also gone back to work part time for the first time in 5 years. I was a stay at home mom and that afforded me hours of KzR surfing time. Now I am a daycare teacher at the YMCA. This has taken lots of my time. Now we have to find a babysitter AND try to get someone to work for me if I want to get out on the bike with Mellvis. Ever the most awesome female in the world though, I often take the boys to work with me and Mellvis gets 3 hours of riding time all to himself!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 16:39 #152389

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Congrats, Abbie.

It sounds like you and Mellvis have landed on your feet. Good things come to good people.

Looks like a nice project you'll have to work on together this summer. Keep us updated. Oh what am I saying? Of course you will!
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

New Bike For Abbie!!! 24 Jun 2007 19:12 #152417

• neilage66
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you're (visibly) back Abbie. :)

I sorta feel like I should behave more politely now...:whistle:

The process of bringing back a bike to its former glory is a fun experience (and a learning experience) - Enjoy your time working on the new scoot.

New Bike For Abbie!!! 01 Jul 2007 17:19 #154094

• abilane78
  • User
Well, wanted to post that I got to go out on my first ride on the LTD today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The steering is very tight, but Mellvis says that after we replace the steering head bearings that it will be much better. He took it for a ride today and he says it's running much better after that. I have a feeling that he got to open it up a bit to clear out the gunk. I am way rusty since it's been so long since I've ridden. At one point I thought I was gonna drop it, but I managed ok. I'm still pretty jerky with it and I'm just sure the clutch is hating my guts right now. For now I'm just going up and down the street. In a few days I'm going to go to the parking lot across the way here and practice my circles in each direction. It's not as hard as I was afraid it would be, but again, it's not easy either. Have faith in me and be patient. I'm sure I will be pretty comfortable by September.

Take care all,
Abbie

:kiss:

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

• Page: