• Page:

TOPIC:

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 Update: 7-20-12 13 Jun 2007 22:21 #149214

• hobodan
  • hobodan's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Workin on pictures!

Well, I started out on this project about 5 years ago. Me, and 2 other buddy’s of mine got the great idea to build a very fast go kart out of a very old 3 wheeled golf cart. One day I was hunting through the junkyard for Suburban parts when I came across it... Hidden beneath half of a semi truck deep in the snow of a horrid winter was a 4 cylinder engine stuck to frame. I figured this would be the perfect engine for this project. I asked the junkyard guy what he wanted for it and he said "30 Dollararses! and is be all yers."

30 dollars later, we had something we could work with! After a few extra dollars spend on a sweet set of carbs at the time (50 dollars and practically new) and a chrome oil pan, we thought we were in business!

Chromie!

WELL, as fate would have it, people got busy or moved away and there it sat, on the side of my house for 2 years...

About a year ago, my mother, wanting to sell our house at the time, told me to throw it away. I didn't want that because it could be something some day! So I took it with me to college.

Just being the frame and the engine, it wasn't much to look at. But I had it in the back of my truck. I was determined to get it working, cause how cool is it to own a motorcycle!?!/?!!1

After about a month of eBay, and finding this site, I was able to track down someone who had a newer kz650 with the dual brakes in the front, I was able to get most of the parts that I need it to make it mobile! He was down in California, so me and a buddy did the 5 hour drive there. We arrived and found everything we needed. He wanted $150 for a frame, tires, fenders, gas tank, and all that, so I took it! I loaded it in the back with my other frame and engine and hauled it back up another 5 hours back to Reno.

Working out of the back of my truck, using it for a garage (because my landlord doesn't like random motorcycle parts in the back porch) I was able to tear the frame down to nothing, so all I had was a bunch of parts.

A little cramped...

I found a guy locally (The Powder Man) who did a sweet job on getting the frame and other parts powder coated for me. I had over 16 parts that needed paint and he did it for only $200. (Works for me!)

Yay! Paint!

After that, I build a little movable platform for the engine out of some plywood and some 2x4s and wheeled the engine into my room. On and off I would take it out back and scrub and scrub to get the 30 years of dirt off of it and I was finally able to get it up to spec.

So Dirty!!!!

In the past week, part by part, I would bring them into my room and assemble the bike right there in my house. Now it has its tires and front fork and handle bars. Just no chain or anything like that.

Yeah it's my room! So what!

Thanks to help from here, I learned mounting the engine can be a one man job! I read that if you take the engine, and lay it on its side, you can drop the frame on top of it and bolt it in. Worked like a charm.

The Duct Tape was NOT my doing, I swear... some people!

After pulling the front fork apart before painting, I noticed a bunch of tiny little balls go everywhere. They were also very rusted and looked terrible. So again after some reading, I was led to Z1 enterprises where they hooked me up with an outstanding Steering bearing kit which fit perfectly! The front fork was a bit difficult at first, considering they have the 2 brakes on them and was not standard for my year of bike. But after some tweaking I was able to put them in the right direction and get them to fit nice.

Most of the nuts an bolts I pulled off of the old one were seriously corroded and bad. So a trip to home depot helped fix a few bolts, as well as a bolt kit for the engine from Z1 enterprises . I am working on a lead that someone will create a bolt kit for the entire frame. I am hoping it will work out and I will be sure to let people know!

Tetanus waiting to happen!

Another major problem was the ignition system. I had 2 sets of coils, one that fit, and one that did not. But the non fitting ones looked newer. Anyways, I asked around and hunted down some testing I could do with it. The older set seemed to be the way to go, they were closer to the 3.0 Ω that I needed. Eventually I am hoping to get a Dyna system I hear so much about. But for now, with the limited funds, and more just trying to get it to run, I will have to settle.

Older and Newer

After finding that there is not even a hint of a spark, I knew I was in for some tinkering. I read up on the Contact Point Breakers and the Condensers. I found mine and noticed that the spring arm, as well as everything else under that cover was severely rusted. So I figured that was the problem. After cleaning them up really well, I slapped them back in their, Set the gaps and checked for spark, Woo hoo! 2&3 worked, but 1&4, nothing! Then I noticed that the condenser on the 1&4 managed not to get reconnected. Oops! I have a new assembly on the way just in case.

Very Dirty...

Today, 6-13-2007, I was able to get it started! I pushed it out into the sun once again and parked it in front of my car. Using a set of jumper cables and my truck, I was able to have power. So I rigged up a gas tank out of a water bottle and 5/16's inch gas line and gave it some gas.

Moment of truth... turn on the ignition, press the button for the starter... "Wirr Wirr Wirr GGGGEEEEERRRRIIIINNNNDDDD" Holy crap! k, maybe a different approach. I sit on it and have my house mate hold my gas tank for me. Go to hit the kick starter, once, twice, BAM! Foot rest RIGHT into the shin! #@$^ @#$^ *^Y&@! (House mate falls over laughing) Well now apparently the kick start slips! GREAT! Well after some tweaking and cursing and what have you, I get the kick start in a better mood and after some good leg exercise she fired right up! LOUD! (No exhaust yet) Plus good payback to the neighbors for their revving of crappy loud scooters at 12:00 am!

Finally, I know she is going to work! Now I just need to finish up a few more things, buy a few more parts, and be on the road once again!

6-18-07
Well, I did a bit more electrical work on the bike. I got it so that it can be self sustaining off of it's own battery. I am very thankful the very old regulator and rectifier work like a charm! I tested the battery and i get anywhere from 13.2-13.8 VDC to the battery. So that is good. It's charging! yay!

Some jackass before I had it got it in the way of a sprayer...

I did notice today when I had it started that it began leaking oil out of the #4 exhaust. Not burnt oil, wet oil. Looks like a valve gasket is in order.

Notice #3, dry as a bone... #4 awful wet.

Also, I was trying to replace the kick start with another one that does not have a stripped bolt. My thinking was that It might be the cause behind the slipping. I go to tap it on and it looks like it is going on. But when I jiggle it, off it comes! So I take a look and this is what happened:

Bummer....

Great huh? :angry: Looks like I might be more into this engine than I wanted to be! Hopefully I can fix this up under the clutch cover. I have some gaskets coming wed.

Update: 7-20-12
Fixed image links.
So it is running, and has for a while. Now I am back into it. Plan to update with more info in the future.
1977 KZ650-B1 frame and engine. Random pile of parts for the rest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by hobodan. Reason: Fixed image links.

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 13 Jun 2007 22:45 #149220

• Makarth
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Props to you. it's nice to bring a bike back from the dead

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 14 Jun 2007 04:59 #149241

• davenkids2001
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Great writeup Dan.
Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 15 Jun 2007 04:32 #149590

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
Outstanding, Dan.

What a story. I must say that you've been extremely resourceful with your limited space.

Given how you've gotten to this point, I think you'll have it ridable in no time. Good luck and keep us updated. :)
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 15 Jun 2007 09:38 #149647

• hobodan
  • User
Haha thanks! I do have to say i wish i had a garage and all the tools in the world to my disposal, ;) but i do what i can with what i got!

I'm just excited i got it started! From here on, its just spending money to get parts/title/registration/insurance. you know, the costly stuff! :pinch:

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 15 Jun 2007 10:04 #149656

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Guy! The only tools you basically need is a stanley 150 piece tool set from walmart and buy a breaker bar. The tool set I bought has socket sizes all the way to 32mm and whatever on the inches side. Then buy a couple pliers, lock ringpliers and what not!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 15 Jun 2007 21:54 #149879

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
  • Thank you received: 1
Way to go, Dan !!! You've done a heckuva job so far....
but of course you WERE starting with some pretty good material....right??!!?? The 650 is a really tough old bird. Keep us posted as you get further along with your project.
KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 16 Jun 2007 00:23 #149890

• hobodan
  • User
kzwolfsr wrote:

Guy! The only tools you basically need is a stanley 150 piece tool set from walmart and buy a breaker bar.

Exactly what I have! Worked great so far! Just the socket for the 4 pronged nut on top of the triple tree would be nice. Hammer/screwdriver works! But yeah, simple! I really enjoy metric for some reason, much easier to deal with sometimes!

H2RICK

but of course you WERE starting with some pretty good material....right??!!?? The 650 is a really tough old bird. Keep us posted as you get further along with your project.

Yes! In tip top shape! :P I was very surprised at how very little crap it gave me starting it for the first time in > 10 years. They are quite tough!

oh and will do on keepin yah up to date!

HoboDan's '77 KZ650-B1 16 Jun 2007 00:36 #149891

• KZ250LTD
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
hobodan wrote:

Yeah it's my room! So what!

That works best, now you can jump right out of bed and get to work :P

The bike looks great so far, and I have to say you must have some pull with the big guy upstairs because you have been GD lucky! :lol: $200 for powdering 16 parts :evil:
79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

• Page: