Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Kawasaki Z500 08 Apr 2007 01:05 #127613

• adri4n
  • adri4n's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, I've read a couple of posts and I'm sure that the members here will be able to give great advice on my project. I'm from Australia btw...

I just got my first 'real' motorcycle, a Kawasaki z500. It wasn't running when i got it, but it didn't take much before I managed to get the engine running. I got the bike registered, and haven't done much to it other than an oil change and putting some pod filters on (original airbox was missing). The one good thing i can say about it at the moment is that it runs.

The problem is that there is no power at all. What i mean is that I take forever just to get up to even 60kmph and if I'm going up a hill, I'd be lucky even if I were able to get to 40kmph. I was planning to probably bring the bike to a mechanics to see if he can find the problem. Also, at about 4-5k rpms, I hear loud 'pops' I think its a misfire? not too sure, but the sound usually comes at higher revs

I've cleaned out the carbs and I've managed to find an old airbox, but I still can't find an air filter or the boots for the airbox.

I know its a long post, but I was hoping I'd get some help with this. There's not a lot of information on this particular model, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm a beginner really at working on bikes so take it easy on me.

Post edited by: adri4n, at: 2007/04/08 04:09
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kawasaki Z500 08 Apr 2007 05:31 #127630

• N0NB
  • User
  • Blue handles better
  • Thank you received: 19
A couple of things come to mind. If there isn't enough valve clearance, there will be a great loss of compression. If the ignition timing is not correct, you will hear pops especially at higher RPMs if the advance mechanism is not working.

Finally, if the carbs are jetted at stock settings, the lack of an airbox and filter will greatly lean out the air/fuel mixture and greatly diminish the power and cause the engine to run hot.

Either a service manual or an experienced mechanic will be your best ways to get it going.

Good luck and welcome aboard.
Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

Kawasaki Z500 08 Apr 2007 05:38 #127632

• adri4n
  • User
I do have a sneaky feeling that its the advance mechanism thats not working, thats why I hear the pops at higher rpms. I do feel that its a little stuck due to the rust, I've tried spraying some WD40, and I'm a little hesitant to take it apart as I'm not too familiar with it.

I do have a service manual, in pdf format and I've followed it as close as i can. currently with the pods, I've taped some of the area, trying to make it a little more restrictive and I do think that helps.

I'm definitely looking to take it to a mechanic and see how that turns out, I'm just looking to see if anyone can help with their experience. thanks

Kawasaki Z500 08 Apr 2007 06:04 #127638

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome. Nice looking bike.

I think yours would have a lot in common with the KZ550s of the same era.

Try to find out from the previous owner if it had an air box or individual pod filters. It can help you to know how the carbs were jetted (set up).
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Kawasaki Z500 09 Apr 2007 05:53 #128038

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
Hi adri4n,here's an air filter tinyurl.com/39argj
I had a set of new airbox boots recently [very agreeable price as well!]from fleabay Germany.
Service manuals are widely available.Kawa manual is more detailed than Clymer.
Did you synch carbs?
The Advance mechanism isn't that much of a problem, they tend to dry up over the years and if you strip it down,just make sure everything[esp the springs]are re built into their origional orientation.I have a restored one in a glass jar if you want pictures. Oh and if you search,look for z400j;z500;z550.They share a number of parts.

Kawasaki Z500 09 Apr 2007 06:38 #128052

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
The popping may not be bad timing, just lean air fuel mixture which is causing such slow speeds. Sort out you carb jetting before you touch those ignition parts and check your compression
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Kawasaki Z500 09 Apr 2007 06:49 #128057

• adri4n
  • User
Thanks for the link to the air filter, I've emailed the seller regarding the postage, but so far no reply, so we'll see how that one goes. I understand that I should sync the carbs and check the jetting, but because I'm still looking into changing out the pods for the airbox, as the pods are only a temporary measure. I think that I should'nt bother with the jetting and sync'ing as yet if I'm going to switch out the pods for the airbox anyway. I'm constantly scanning ebay for the boots that I need, just let me know if you guys come across anything.

Kawasaki Z500 09 Apr 2007 08:55 #128082

• Klaus42
  • Visitor
I think your boots are available from www.z1enterprises.com ... (?) ;)

Kawasaki Z500 09 Apr 2007 20:31 #128322

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
Always available at z1 untouched and unused! You are wasting your time on ebay looking for those!
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

Kawasaki Z500 10 Apr 2007 03:57 #128396

• adri4n
  • User
The only hoses/rubbers i can find are for Kawasaki KZ550 KZ650. www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=331

Not too sure if they'll fit my airbox. On the airbox that I have the middle 2 inlets are much smaller in diameter than the outer 2. Not entirely sure if they'll fit. Any one know? if not I'll find a way to contact them and see.

Kawasaki Z500 10 Apr 2007 04:46 #128407

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
Hi adri4n.

Sorry about the crappy webcam. This is a set I found wasteing my time on Ebay one day.The airbox does have smaller holes for carb 2 and 3.See piccy.Regards.

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2007/04/10 07:50

Post edited by: tellietubbie, at: 2007/04/10 07:50
Attachments:

Kawasaki Z500 10 Apr 2007 04:52 #128409

• tellietubbie
  • Visitor
airbox for z500, z550.
Attachments: