1976 z750 B

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
14 May 2007 01:48 #139841 by kzrider
Replied by kzrider on topic 1976 z750 B
Biquetoast wrote:

*If* you're going to go with stock pipes and replacement mufflers, make sure you're looking at up-swept mufflers.

Thanks for the tip! Can't believe I didn't think about that myself :blush:

It looks like I'll go for the Mac 2 into 2.

Got the seat on, by the way. It fits. Sort of... When latched, it doesn't quite line up where the rear rubber dampers touch the frame. Have to lift and slide the right side into place in order to latch properly. I'll get some pictures of it, but my guess is that this is as good as it will get. One thought I had was minor differences between the KZ and the European Z that I have. Seat is for the American model. Thoughts on this?

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
14 Apr 2008 12:44 - 14 Apr 2008 12:45 #206435 by kzrider
After 3 days of wrenching, the beast is now put back together! Still needs to clean it up a little, but man what a great feeling it is when you finally get to fire up a Z that has been asleep for a year.

Here's what's been done over the past 72 hours:
  • Cleaned up the electrical system (generator, lights, switches, connectors, etc.) with new heatshrink where needed.
  • Installed new ignition breaker assembly and set the timing.
  • Spent hours removing gasket material and installed new generator cover and cluctch cover.
  • Installed MAC 2-2 exhaust system. A pain to get the mufflers to slide over the pipes, but gives a pretty good look and an ok fit once installed. I sprayed the insides of the pipes with a little muffler paint to avoid blueing, but I think I was too cheap with the paint as the pipes already start to discolor a bit after only riding less than a mile + idling when adjusting the timing.
  • Installed new K&N air filter
  • Cleaned, polished, and installed front and rear fender.
  • Changed the headlight rim
  • Installed professionaly painted tank, sidecovers, framecovers, and duck tail. It was damn expensive, but wow! If anyone in Norway wants a 99% matched original color paintjob, go pay Robert Walter at Custom Color in Ski a visit. I did't ask for a macthed paint job, I just said dark red with the pinstripes I got from Reproduction
    Decals. But I think he did some research, because it looks pretty close to original. He's done some amazing work on Z900s and Z1s that he showed me, and I really could not tell the difference between those and the original.
  • Installed new fuel lines and filters
  • New handlebar and grips
  • Changed brake fluid, and bled the brakes
  • Clutch adjustment
  • A lot more I can't even remember right now, as I'm sitting here with a grin on my face knowing that the bike runs like it probably never has before. Even though it's a bit loud, the sound is to die for.

Tomorrow is probably the most important day in this Twin's life (or at least it's pretty important to me :-)). I'm going to get it registered, and hopefully the DMV will be ok with the shape the bike's in. They are really strict when it comes to brakes, lights, and noise. Everything works just the way it did when it was new, but the noise... Damn those MACs are loud! I'd put something in the mufflers if I knew I could get it out again, and more importantly that it wouldn't blow out in the face of the DMV representative... I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope the guy is in a good mood.

Wish me luck, and I'll go out and see if I can shoot a couple of pics for you. I only have my cell phone camera though. Oh, I'm at my brother's farm, so he's responsible for the mess in the garage... :-)

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4
Last edit: 14 Apr 2008 12:45 by kzrider.

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
14 Apr 2008 13:05 #206443 by kzrider
The pics don't do the bike justice, but I just had to post a few anyways ;)

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4
Attachments:

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
14 Apr 2008 13:05 #206444 by kzrider

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4
Attachments:

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
14 Apr 2008 13:06 #206446 by kzrider

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2008 13:26 #206452 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic 1976 z750 B
The bike looks great!
I know the awesome feeling you get from putting something back together and it runs better than it has in years.
I wish I never sold my 76 twin :(

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
14 Apr 2008 14:52 #206470 by btchalice
Replied by btchalice on topic 1976 z750 B
nightvision on

Terry Meyer / Wichita KS
76 kz900 w/1000 motor TWZTD
I am not driving too fast, I'm flying too low.
Attachments:

More
14 Apr 2008 15:00 - 20 Dec 2011 04:10 #206472 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic a
a

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2011 04:10 by KZ250LTD.

More
14 Apr 2008 15:38 #206483 by steell
Replied by steell on topic 1976 z750 B
If you still have the problem with seat alignment, just loosen the bolts that attach the hinge to the seat, line the seat up then tighten the bolts.

KD9JUR

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
16 Apr 2008 17:00 #206986 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic 1976 z750 B
It looks great!

...of course, don't forget to inpect your starter clutch someday soon before it explodes on you... I don't know if you read all that stuff I posted some time back about mine that broke to bits.... I'm on a mission to warn all 750 twin owners...

:blink:
:laugh:

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
31 Jan 2011 11:37 #427431 by kzrider
Replied by kzrider on topic kzrider fixes what's not broken...
Ahh... my little big twin... It just hasn't gotten the attention it needs and deserves. I haven't ridden it much either, especially since I got the the MkII. And apart from the initital once-over it got a couple of years back, I'm afraid it's been a bit neglected. Not that it doesn't run or look decent, but I think it can do a lot better. Hence the new thread title. :P I hope the KZ Gods don't strike down on me for breaking that cardinal rule...:ohmy: :lol: Anyway, a couple of nights ago I started tearing it down.

The to-do list will probably grow a lot over the next few months, but here goes:
  1. First order of business: The flake painted frame! It's been bothering me ever since I bought the bike almost 4 years ago. It looks awful! New paint or powdercoat.
  2. Front suspension. Leaking oil again, as the pitting in the travel area of the tubes have blown the seals yet again. I've got a brand new set of fork tubes, and that should finally fix the problem.
  3. Electrical system. 35 years of quick fixes from previous owners has taken it's toll...
  4. Brakes. Again, they work, but the current stopping distance from 100 km/h is not what I'd call satisfactory :blink:
  5. Carbs. Need a good service.
  6. Hopefully convert to electronic ignition if I can round up the parts needed.
  7. Top end service. I've got a NOS set of jugs as well as new pistons and rings that I bought a long time ago. Will get a new cam chain as well. We'll see what else it needs when I get there
  8. Starter clutch inspection. Biquetoast's warnings HAS made an impression, and even though I did a quick check a couple years ago I'll be more thorough this time.
  9. Paint or powdercoat a lot of smaller parts like calipers, switches, battery box, stands, etc.
  10. ...

Before I start with the detail pictures, I think a short picture recap is in order...

Here's the bike when I bought it in 2007:

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4
Attachments:

• kzrider
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
More
31 Jan 2011 11:38 #427432 by kzrider
Replied by kzrider on topic kzrider fixes what's not broken...

1976 Z750 B1
1980 Z1000 MkII A4
Attachments: