TOPIC:

New Winter Project 20 Dec 2006 09:32 #100683

• chetriply
  • chetriply's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here's the new winter project:
1981 KZ1000 LTD.
Total investment so far of $700.00. She runs great but is ugly as a mud fence. I've got a GSXR front end that I'm thinking of using. Plans are to tear down and go frame up with it. Keeping the engine fairly stock until i get the frame and suspension sorted out.

Post edited by: chetriply, at: 2006/12/20 12:34
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New Winter Project 20 Dec 2006 16:55 #100775

• kzwolfsr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 16
I just bought a 81 Kz1000 LTD also for the winter, looks like yours. I can,t find my model letter to buy parts but it runs good, besides the fact that I have like 2 or 3 bolts missing from the sprocket cover but amazingly the clutch disengages, engages when I rev it up. I am leaving my bike stock but I might give it the zephyr look on the tank and change that high up handlebar or set it lower. Heres a pic

Post edited by: kzwolfsr, at: 2006/12/20 20:00
1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean
Attachments:

New Winter Project 21 Dec 2006 07:27 #100886

• chetriply
  • User
Burrr! After I looked at that pic I had to go sit by the fire!

I traded about $450.00 worth of parts for this KZ. The owner bought a new 883 Sporty and wanted a w/s, Forward controls and and a sissy bar. Traded straight up. The crazy thing is, I just did $900.00 worth of work to this thing less than 6 months ago. New tires, sprockets, chain, bars, grips and exhaust.

Does your LTD have the CV carbs?

New Winter Project 21 Dec 2006 14:38 #100967

• kzwolfsr
  • User
I dont really know what cv carbs are but mine has those chrome tops on them that look like saucers and they have the horizontal choke. The owner told me it wouldn't run cold without starting spray but I just started it and it hates full choke. Does yours make a turbine whining sound when you ride it or rev it up, its notobvious like breaking obvious but its like a turbocharged bike.
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H

New Winter Project 22 Dec 2006 08:08 #101138

• chetriply
  • User
Yah, mine does that too. CV just means contsant velocity or, in other words, vacuum slides. Mine likes about half choke on cold start up. Good thing about the vacuum carbs is, after you get them set, you usually don't have to mess with them.

New Winter Project 22 Dec 2006 19:12 #101276

• kzwolfsr
  • User
Then I guess that noise is normal, and a beautiful noise. I like how the bike rides too, its sounds clean and has this 2-3 cylinder rumble when it idles, but it runs on all fours. It has vance and hines 4 in 1 exhaust which looks pretty rusty. The owner starts her on full choke and say it never starts cold without spraying starter spray. I guess he was too conventional and didnt learn any new tricks. My SR650 starts at a little less than full choke.

New Winter Project 29 Dec 2006 19:35 #102439

• kzwolfsr
  • User
We just got hit by another set of snow, so it will take awhile before I can ride again. Its been a week and a half or more since I rode the 1000 and probably a month or 2 since I rode the 650. I am bored man

• Page: