Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

new 1980 kz440ltd owner 26 Nov 2006 20:53 #95251

• outdoorallens
  • outdoorallens's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My husband and I just picked up a 1980 KZ440LTD with 36,000 miles on it today that has been garaged since 1991. This will be my first bike for myself, we have a 1500 Goldwing we ride together. It will be a project bike for my husband this winter to get it up and running. My questions: where can I find parts online, what are some things we should look for in fixing it up and any words of wisdom. This looks like a great site, similar to one we use for our Goldwing that is extremely helpful. It's amazing how motorcyclists really help each other out. Thanks in advance for the input!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new 1980 kz440ltd owner 26 Nov 2006 21:18 #95260

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr, and congrats on your "new to you" bike! :)

If you check the LINKS section here you'll find quite a few very good online parts sources and references.
Z1 Enterprises being probably about the best in all around parts availability, pricing and outstanding service before, during and after your purchase. The owner of Z1 Ent is a longtime member of KZr (Jeff Saunders), and knows just about anything there is to know about our old KZ's.

As far as things to look for, that can be quite a detailed list.
But in a nutshell, check/lube/adjust all cables and drive chain, replace tires if they appear aged or weathered, check and lube all bearings (wheel, steering, swingarm), examine all wiring for signs of damage or future potential problems (worn insulation or pinched wires, etc.) and lube all connectors with dielectric grease, make sure all switches (turn signal, horn, etc) function properly.
I'll let you digest that for now, and I'm sure some other members will chime in shortly with other suggestions of things to check.

Take a stroll through the entire site here, ask questions, and by all means enjoy!

Oh ya, and don't forget to post some pictures (regardless of it's condition) of your "new to you" bike. :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

new 1980 kz440ltd owner 27 Nov 2006 11:04 #95364

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Welcome to KZR.

Like RRRR mentioned, give your bike a good once over. Find yourself a service manual, and go over all the periodic maintenance items.

Have fun with your new ride, and be safe. B)
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

new 1980 kz440ltd owner 27 Nov 2006 11:31 #95366

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
  • Thank you received: 1
RRRR has just about said it all , so ... Welcome to KZR and good luck with your prodject. ..... Oh ya ! pics , these guys loxe pics , lol

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

• Page: