Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I'm a new member just saying hello! 21 Nov 2006 07:18 #93709

• gmbiowa
  • gmbiowa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Dear KZR members, I was fortunate to find your web site and joined immediately. Although I am not new to motorcycles, I am new to Kawasaki. I recently bought a non-running 1981 KZ750 with only 9,500 miles. A local farmer had it stored in the back of his shop and wanted it. He said that it was running a few years ago. I got it for a good price. Except for lots of dust and dirt, the bike is in very good shape. The tab that controls the lights (on/off) is missing, and it has a 4 into 1 exhaust system (I do not believe this came stock on this bike). Off course it does not start, and the battery is dead. I intend to go to the appropriate forums to ask about getting the bike running. But, I thought I would through these questions out here. 1)Do all the KZ750 H have parts that fit each other so I can find a light switch? 2) Are the 4 to 1 exhaust stock? 3) After I get a new battery, what would be the first thing to check to get the bike fired up? Thanks for your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I'm a new member just saying hello! 21 Nov 2006 07:29 #93714

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
  • Thank you received: 303
Welcome gmbiowa! Others will weigh-in to welcome and have various bits of advice...but the first thing I'd do is buy a shop manual...official kawasaki shop manuals are still available on eBay (reasonably priced) or you could buy one of several after-market types (also off eBay)(also inexpensive). These manuals will give you fairly explicit how-to instructions on virtually anything you might have to tackle with the bike. :)
Michael
Alvin, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

I'm a new member just saying hello! 21 Nov 2006 07:48 #93719

• steell
  • User
  • Thank you received: 207
You can also download a 750 four manual HERE
KD9JUR

I'm a new member just saying hello! 21 Nov 2006 10:03 #93755

• ambergrismooon
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 2
Clean her up look over the wiring to see if it has been chewed by critters. Make sure the aircleaner is not inhabited. Clean and check plugs. You will proberly have to drop the carbs and clean them. If everything is OK Battery, gas and start. Let her run for a couple of minutes. Shut her down and do a oil change. Check out what comes out.

If ya get her runnin good then check all safety stuff brakes, tires, chain etc.

Luck! AND welcome here!

I'm a new member just saying hello! 21 Nov 2006 12:03 #93789

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
Hey GMB, welcome to the site. Glad to see you resurrecting another treasure. Be sure and post your location in your signature line, there are quite a few members from all over Iowa who would love to help out.

And let me be the first to say: pictures please:laugh:
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

I'm a new member just saying hello! 21 Nov 2006 15:35 #93833

• pumps
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
IowaKz , you beat me to the punch! Welcome to our little spot on the web. I hope you get her running without too much grief and when you do you will have a nice smile on your face. Rode mine for a few hours today..I'm STILL HOOKED!
Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

I'm a new member just saying hello! 26 Nov 2006 17:54 #95166

• rbishop
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
gmbiowa, Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of people here that can help you out. I also rode mine today and I am very happy with it. Since I live in Michigan, my riding days are limited, but I get it out when I can.

I'm a new member just saying hello! 26 Nov 2006 17:57 #95167

• wireman
  • Visitor
welcome to z-jungle!;)

I'm a new member just saying hello! 26 Nov 2006 21:19 #95261

• tganek
  • Visitor
gmbiowa wrote:

1)Do all the KZ750 H have parts that fit each other so I can find a light switch? 2) Are the 4 to 1 exhaust stock? 3) After I get a new battery, what would be the first thing to check to get the bike fired up? Thanks for your time.

1) Light switches should be interchangeable. There are differences in speedo dials, idiot lights, seats, and stuff between the years. I think the mech stuff is all the same.
2) No
3) bank account, location and current temperment of spouse, bank account.

eBay eBay eBay

pictures, signature line, and WELCOME

Post edited by: tganek, at: 2006/11/27 00:25

• Page: