Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Coming back 04 Oct 2006 06:13 #81723

• CagePasser
  • CagePasser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Good morning. I'm not really a new member but this is only my second post on the new site. I had trouble for quite some time trying to post, then track season started and work on my 78 KZ650 stopped.

I'll give you a little back ground on my KZ. I purchased it used when I was 15. The previous owner had been knocked off it twice by cagers. Fortunately for him, both incidents were in town at low speeds. Beside bent handle bars, pipes and scratched engine covers the bike was in beautiful shape. Over the years I have bought and sold many bikes but always kept the KZ650 around. 6 years ago I decided to strip it down and have the frame repainted, it was starting to get too rusty for my tastes. Then I found other things to replace and clean the engine, bla, bla, bla...

At first I was going to turn it into a café racer, then changed my mind. Lately I have been purchasing parts from several on-line vendors and dealers to get the bike almost stock. I have exceeded the original purchase price of $500 in replacement parts along time ago and I still need to have the forks rebuilt, new rear shocks, tires, battery, chain... I would also like to add a Dyna electronic pick up to replace the points.

Replacing the bars on most bikes is an easy enough task. The KZ though, with the wire running inside the bar was another story. I just hope the notes I took years ago when dismantling the handle bar controls are good enough to get it all back together again.

Last night after reinstalling the air box I removed the carburetors from the plastic wrapped storage. Man, my standards must have changed because those things look terrible... Much cleaning required. I would like to re-install the engine this week end but I am waiting on new carb holders from Old Bike Barn and air box hoses from the dealer. About $120 to mount the carbs.. Who would have thought????

Anyway, I'm getting close and if I can keep myself focused I hope to have it road worthy by next spring. If there is any interest I'll post some pics and keep you guys posted on progress. It would be a miracle if I get it all together and it fires right up. So expect to hear from me, asking questions...

Take Care
Cagepasser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Coming back 04 Oct 2006 07:00 #81732

• JUSTICE114
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome BACK!;) As you already know......We need Pics!!B)

Coming back 04 Oct 2006 12:20 #81787

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 376
Yes welcome back. Pix are a must, as we like to see the progression.

Add you model and year to your signature line , and location, so others know what your talking about.
Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Coming back 05 Oct 2006 10:06 #81994

• CagePasser
  • CagePasser's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Here are a few pics.

Cleaning the engine, work in progress.

Post edited by: CagePasser, at: 2006/10/05 13:11

• Page: