New owner in California

More
19 Sep 2006 22:45 #78082 by kf6kmx
New owner in California was created by kf6kmx
Hi there. New owner here... First street bike ever actually... Guess I picked a good one for a starter into the street bike world ;)

My new baby is a 1981 KZ750E, silver. Has a windscreen on it, about 32k miles, K&N filter pods on all 4 carbs,pretty much everything else seems stock. It has a few scratches, not bad for a 25+ year old (I'm 35 and have more than a few scratches/dents myself).
It has a dent in the fuel tank from the previous owner :( He was doing a clutch job and somehow managed to push it off the stand. As heavy as it is, he must have been doing the clutch job on the side stand, I put it on the center stand and pushed it all around where youd do a clutch job and it didnt even come close to wanting to go over.
I dont have any pictures yet, it isnt actually home yet.. its sitting at a friends place about 30 miles from here, close to where I bought it, didnt have a way to get it home and my Land Rover also, so I left the bike at his place and will bring it home after work tomorrow, then will get photos to post.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2006 23:05 #78084 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic New owner in California
Welcome. Great bike you have there (I have one that sounds just like yours). You will enjoy this site, plus quite a number of California guys. Many of us are older than you, some younger.

/

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

More
20 Sep 2006 08:44 #78149 by JUSTICE114
Replied by JUSTICE114 on topic New owner in California
Welcome!!! Your sorta close by. Im in Fresno!!:) This place is great and chalked full of information you'll need and some info you'll wish you never read!!:blink: :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: :silly: :silly: B)

More
20 Sep 2006 09:11 #78153 by kf6kmx
Replied by kf6kmx on topic New owner in California
apeman wrote:

Welcome. Great bike you have there (I have one that sounds just like yours). You will enjoy this site, plus quite a number of California guys. Many of us are older than you, some younger.

/

Thanks!
Yeah, I was looking at a new Boulevard S40, but this one became available, and I grabbed it...
A little tinkering on a few minor things (throttle cable play, and gear lever in wrong position) and it will be 'perfect' B)

More
20 Sep 2006 09:14 #78154 by kf6kmx
JUSTICE114 wrote:

Welcome!!! Your sorta close by. Im in Fresno!!:) This place is great and chalked full of information you'll need and some info you'll wish you never read!!:blink: :blink: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: :silly: :silly: B)

Thanks!
Maybe we'll meet up on the road sometime. I live in Hanford, work at NAS Lemoore, and spend a lot of time in Visalia. Make it to Fresno quite a bit (am in the 4x4HIM Christian 4wheel club in Fresno), in fact am going up after work tonight to get a part for my Land Rover from the dealer (luckily the dealer items arent THAT much more on it, avg about $6 more than the same parts on my Jeep Grand Cherokee).

More
20 Sep 2006 09:19 #78156 by JUSTICE114
Replied by JUSTICE114 on topic New owner in California
Coo!!! When I get my bike back on the road we'll ride! They have some So-Cal rides here also for KzRider members here so we can ride up. It'll be a few hours before we reach them but im down for the ride.B)

More
20 Sep 2006 09:29 #78161 by kf6kmx
Sounds good to me! I'm going to work on the bike tonight after I get home from the Fresno run, want to adjust the throttle (too much play in it, makes it really touchy on take-off... I think normal is about 1/8" twist of slack, this is 1/4" or more.. when you twist it up from idle in neutral, it makes a really fast increase from idle to about 3k rpm..on the road it makes for a slightly less than smooth shift but not bad, take offs from dead stop though are not pretty :P )
and I plan to move the gear selector down.. it must be set too high... I never ridden another bike or atv that I have to completly LIFT my foot off the peg (a good inch or so) to shift, the lever is well above the peg and you cant hit it by twisting your toe up, on a long ride that would get really tiring..