Newbie with some general Qs

More
13 Aug 2006 20:28 #69211 by nyisles
Newbie with some general Qs was created by nyisles
Ahoy - long-time reader, first-time poster here. Tomorrow I am going to look at a supposedly top notch '83 550LTD and was wondering what common problems, if any, to look for. The bike honestly looks great from the posted pics (Craigslist of course) and the seller runs a motorcycle repair business, so in theory the bike should be in excellent running condition as he states in the ad. However, the asking price is pretty steep even in today's motorcycle seller's market ($1500) and there's no mention of the bike's mileage in the ad.

The recent mods/repairs to the bike include a fresh coat of paint, brake job, titanium clutch, sport handlebars, new header/exhaust, race pistons (?), full tune-up including carb cleaning and re-jet. What else to check before buying? The guy claims it's capable of 130mph and 70mpg, though I doubt it can do either of those with my bulky ass on its back.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
13 Aug 2006 20:43 #69214 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Newbie with some general Qs
Titanium Clutch? New one to me. What Header? New Exhaust? Aftermarket is limited to these bikes, ebay is your best friend. Don't go by the 130/170 mph. You can't have both. Mine with a stage 3 jetting, and pod fiters, with 4-1 exhaust still gets ~60 mpg. Theoretically I can go 149 mph, but that's not gong to happen, and still get my 60 mpg.

Have fun! :P

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.