New member with first bike!

• Grebnaws Inc.
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Aug 2006 21:57 #68863 by Grebnaws Inc.
New member with first bike! was created by Grebnaws Inc.
Hi everyone. It was just last month that I went through a riders course and got a class M license. I had never even sat on a motorcycle before the first morning of class, and to say I was "behind the curve" in riding ability would be an understatement. Without even knowing how to drive a stick shift on Tuesday I passed the riders course on Friday. My thanks to the instructors for being patient!

I wanted a bike and I wanted one soon. I rode a few bikes and wasn't too impressed. Everything being sold was too big, too powerful, too heavy, too fast, too expensive, and simply too hard to learn on. I'm a lightweight without any experience so ALL bikes are intimidating. Almost went with a 250 Ninja but the owner was a little proud of what he was trying to sell.

Anyhow, I found this bike for sale by a retired man who was feeling too old to ride. He seemed like a real standup guy and the bike was well kept. He was the 2nd owner and had all the documentation from the first. After doing research on these bikes and finding that they're solid rides, and coming to love how classic the bikes look, I ponied up the cash and bought one.

So here it is, my 1983 Kawasaki 550-C LTD. Mileage is estimated to be around 7k (speedometer corrections) and lots of the standard stuff has been replaced, although it still needs fork seals and some fresh tires. I went over budget and paid a premium for an old bike, but I'll be damned if it didn't just leap right out to me. After a once over and a test ride I knew it was the bike for me. The 550 didn't feel too strong for a beginner and the bike isn't so big that my 140 pounds can't hold it upright. Plenty of grunt for a wimp like me too.

After a few days of working out logistics my friend volunteered to ride it home for me (about 35 miles) so I wouldn't kill myself on the highway, and here it sits.

She's really cold blooded but I suppose that's to be expected. We're both the same age too. You can view the larger pics here:

www.uploadfile.info/uploads/1cad1c8a6b.jpg

www.uploadfile.info/uploads/7adaafca5a.jpg

Post edited by: Grebnaws Inc., at: 2006/08/12 01:00

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2006 02:31 #68885 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic New member with first bike!
Welcome and congratulations! You have yourself a nice bike...and you've come to the right place for advice and assistance:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
12 Aug 2006 06:41 #68898 by cnyl
Replied by cnyl on topic New member with first bike!
Welcome and congrats on passing the course. Bike looks to be in great shape. The more you ride her the more you'll love it.:)

1982 KZ1000 M2 CSR
North Port, FL

Check out my band
www.myspace.com/tukrhill

More
12 Aug 2006 07:37 #68903 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic New member with first bike!
Very clean looking 550! Welcome to the site. Read a lot and then read some more. Mostly I read because i don't have much to contribute..yet. I was looking at a 550c . Is that a 6 speed?

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• Grebnaws Inc.
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Aug 2006 18:19 #69187 by Grebnaws Inc.
Replied by Grebnaws Inc. on topic New member with first bike!
yeah Pumps, it's a 6 speed.

I also don't have a lot to offer but I've already done a lot of reading to help me avoid or diagnose problems in the future. My first question will be regarding any emissions "improvements" I can make to the bike.

The encouragement from everyone is appreciated too. I've only put down about 50 miles of riding through neighborhood and country roads but the biker waves start as soon as I leave the driveway.