Hello to the Community

More
15 Oct 2024 10:46 #905146 by Sparky64
Hello to the Community was created by Sparky64
Hi all, a quick overview about me, not sure what depth to go to so hope I pitch it ok.

A tender age of 64 on Thursday :) loved bikes all my life, started with a purple Fizzy then on to my Kawasaki's including a KH250 and later a KH400. Also had an RD400E in red and white and the quickest bike I have had was a 750 K7 Gixxer.

A ton of dirt bikes too.

So here I am a devoted Grandad bringing up my 4 grand kids with my wife, I have had the Z900 for nearly 20 years but not used it for at least 6 years after I took it apart to keep me busy post cancer treatment. Sadly I have battled 'C' further whilst converting a barn to make a home with better bedrooms for all the kids.

To finish the barn roof I need to sell my Z900 and for that to happen I need to put it back together, it has been a slow process because I can't remember bugger all from when I stripped it. It is looking pretty reasonable but with regard to the electrics I have the horn working and the right hand side indicators and a low oil pressure light working lol.

So firstly this is not a poor me post, I have a great life and next summer thanks to a good financial return I will be buying a replacement Z900 and hopefully a H2 to go with it for my perfect match. This is a practical post, I know my limitations mechanically, my Z900 A4 has been powder coated, vapour blasted cases and had an original 4 into 4 purchased to replace the 4 into 1 it had.

Will pop some pics up when allowed.

I am looking to hang around and get to know other owners by the way so not just a knowledge and expertise grab.

So hello I am Shaun. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
15 Oct 2024 14:56 #905152 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Hello to the Community
WElcome Shawn

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sparky64

More
15 Oct 2024 15:19 #905158 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic Hello to the Community
Welcome to the fun!
BTW we are suckers for pictures...

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion

More
16 Oct 2024 01:12 #905172 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Hello to the Community
Good Morning Shaun!! Sounds like You've had a busy time of it for sure. The Z900 is a personal favorite of mine, restored several of them. So..by hands-on experience i know where every little bolt/washer/damper goes for reassembly and correct orientation. If You're going back all original that is?? The bad, unfortunately, the KZ900's don't seem to fetch as much as the Z1's. The restoration costs alone can hinder any profit potential. You can save money by "parts bombing" it with aftermarket bits, i don't ever use aftermarket stuff though. Sounds like you've already dug pretty deep into it!! Don't know how much Your roof is costing or expectations of a sale? Market prices seem to be down to boot.       

More
16 Oct 2024 01:55 #905173 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic Hello to the Community

Good Morning Shaun!! Sounds like You've had a busy time of it for sure. The Z900 is a personal favorite of mine, restored several of them. So..by hands-on experience i know where every little bolt/washer/damper goes for reassembly and correct orientation. If You're going back all original that is?? The bad, unfortunately, the KZ900's don't seem to fetch as much as the Z1's. The restoration costs alone can hinder any profit potential. You can save money by "parts bombing" it with aftermarket bits, i don't ever use aftermarket stuff though. Sounds like you've already dug pretty deep into it!! Don't know how much Your roof is costing or expectations of a sale? Market prices seem to be down to boot.       

Not sure what prices are like in the US Clay but here they are still strong for any "old Z" (that's why so many get imported here from your side of the pond)
Basket case - $3k - $5k
Tired rider - $6k - $10k
Nice example - North of $10k

More
16 Oct 2024 03:47 #905174 by asphalt900
Absolutely, across the "pond" I'm sure they fare much better then around here in the central US. I never paid more then 500.00USD for any Z of any year or pre 1980 KZ1000 over a period of 2.5 decades. Has happened several times, get home after work and there would be a "freebie" sitting in the driveway one of my Friends just dropped off for me! Of course i'm getting off the point and personal experiences/showing-off aren't relative to the market, he. Around here, 2-3.5K will get a nice clean runner.    

More
16 Oct 2024 03:56 #905175 by Wookie58

Absolutely, across the "pond" I'm sure they fare much better then around here in the central US. I never paid more then 500.00USD for any Z of any year or pre 1980 KZ1000 over a period of 2.5 decades. Has happened several times, get home after work and there would be a "freebie" sitting in the driveway one of my Friends just dropped off for me! Of course i'm getting off the point and personal experiences/showing-off aren't relative to the market, he. Around here, 2-3.5K will get a nice clean runner.    
Perhaps in the future we will need to have a conversation about shipping a future project :):)
The following user(s) said Thank You: asphalt900, Sparky64

More
16 Oct 2024 06:00 #905178 by asphalt900
Well certainly! Heres a gem, pushing over my plum tree, or molecularly attaching itself to it? Same story as earlier mentioned, just dropped off. It's a real pile.. And of course one i'm restoring for myself, no reason, just because. I couldn't count the number of Z's i've sold to Kaz of Classic Runners in Torrance, CA over the years.   
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Sparky64

More
16 Oct 2024 11:36 - 16 Oct 2024 11:38 #905188 by Sparky64
Replied by Sparky64 on topic Hello to the Community
Wow what a great response for a newbie - really appreciate it.

So lots of posts to answer and will try and deal with it with one post from me as it will make it easier to track.

So a bit about the bike, as said it is a 1976 Z900 A4.

Many years ago it came to me with a 4 into 1 exhaust, clocks were a bit shabby as was the switch gear on the handlebars, frame was grubby and marked, engine dirty and lots of bolts etc were rusty, generally the bike was sound with a great engine and no misfires etc but was grubby once you looked past the tank etc.

Parts wise I have collected stuff over the last 6 years and grabbed bargains on many late night auction finishes and also at festival bike market stalls.

Stripped the bike down a few years back and had the frame powder coated and it looks great. Started the reassembly, mechanically it was challenging as I could not remember even simple things like spacer placement. But on the waiting journey I picked up 4 genuine Kawasaki stamped exhausts one pipe at a time, refurbed clocks and switch gear, had the engine vapour blasted, painted many things and buffed others. Slowly put 85% of the bike together, its not a nut and bolt refurb but every nut and bolt has been cleaned and used. Only a few upgrades with stainless fixings.

So a couple of other things, the original airbox is on which I know is something enthusiasts like - the price of refitting that to the carbs was a whole lot of cuts, bruises and head scratching, getting the carbs in-between the air intake and the carb inlet ports was some sort of Japanese bike designers fantasy, my hands looked like I was a blind cobbler!

The mudguards are original and have not been clipped.

The original chain guard, seat and shocks are fitted.

I need £8,500 for my roof so who knows, by the way I am not offering it for sale here as I know it needs to go on the emporium site which it will do.

In terms of pictures I am not aware if I can post them visibly yet but would love to pop a few up, I took a picture of my hands too after the carb fitting mayhem.

Will try a couple of picks to see if they will come up.

Last edit: 16 Oct 2024 11:38 by Sparky64.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, howardhb

More
16 Oct 2024 11:40 - 16 Oct 2024 11:58 #905189 by Wookie58
Pictures are showing fine, bike looks great. Looking at current UK prices you should get what you need :)
The below is just one example listed with a guide of £8k - £10k ($10,300 - $13k) with many flaws, aftermarket 4-1 and pods

Last edit: 16 Oct 2024 11:58 by Wookie58.