'74 KZ400 Stator Question

More
04 Aug 2024 19:39 #902832 by WFSDNO
'74 KZ400 Stator Question was created by WFSDNO
I am looking at buying a copy of my first bike... a blue '74 KZ400 !   Price seems ok at $1,100.  Condition looks very good, all parts visible, maybe a scratch on top of tank.  Do not know what inside of tank looks like yet. 

BUT... the current owner says :
** I bought it as a running project and time and life has happened. In the meantime, the stator has gone bad and needs replaced ($75-100 on Ebay) and the carbs need a tune up ($50 for new seals, etc plus the skill to tune it). I have a new regulator/rectifier from Revival Cycles. It also replaces the separate regulator and rectifier that is OEM freeing up some space. -a new universal starter solenoid and main fuse combo from Revival Cycles. The bike is currently not running because of the stator issue (it keeps blowing the main fuse) and the need for a carb tune up and the reg/rec being installed. Otherwise, it was running fine a year ago." **
The carb issue is no problem, I good with carbs.  Electrical, I suppose I'm okay, I can follow schematics well.  Basic mechanics are no problem either.

The real question is.... is this a common problem with the old KZ400 ?  Is there probably more wrong with it and he is just covering them?  What are your opinions?  I am about 3 hours away, so too far away to just go look at it.  Thanks in advance!!

Hope this questions is allowed.  If not, let me know and I will delete it and move it.   Thanks, Roger

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2024 03:18 #902882 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
Does it run with the stator disconnected or does the elec problem run deeper ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer, WFSDNO

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Aug 2024 03:30 #902884 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
It seems you are relying on the current owner's opinion that the stator is bad.  It may be fine.  A bad stator should not blow fuses.  More likely there is a short somewhere in the electrical system and the stator is fine.  As Wookie says, the bike should run with the stator disconnected.  If it doesn't run then the problem is elsewhere.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, WFSDNO

More
08 Aug 2024 07:08 - 08 Aug 2024 07:11 #902894 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
Don't believe anything the guy says:  People forget, don't know, or just flat out lie.  

Without pics or seeing it in person, $1100 sounds high for a non-running KZ400.  good/new tires would be a plus.  As for the stator, assuming it is bad, I would look into whether or not a later rotor and stator can be used along with a reg-rec combo unit.  Kawasaki.com and Partzilla have diagrams. Partzilla is easier to use and has a cross-reference.  EB is handy for checking what sort of parts might be available. also, Z1Enterprises.com.

Last edit: 08 Aug 2024 07:11 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WFSDNO

More
08 Aug 2024 08:25 #902903 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
My 2c - I would keep looking, sounds like the PO gave up on it, and wants to bail without losing money.  I agree $1100 is way too high for a project bike with problems.  A running bike with no issues might be worth the $1100.

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion

More
08 Aug 2024 16:00 #902937 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
Should this thread be moved?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
09 Aug 2024 07:25 #902979 by WFSDNO
Replied by WFSDNO on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
Sorry for the late reply!

The owner said last time he rode it (last year) worked fine.  This spring, trying to start it and it keeps blowing the main fuse.  He assumed it was the stator.  He has given up trying to fix it.  He did buy a new regulator/rectifier from Revival Cycles but did not install it. I tend to not believe too many people these days, guess I am just getting old.  I suppose one should assume more electrical problems than just the stator.

Tires look old.  Only 5,000 miles on odometer. Inside of fuel tank looks clean.

Here is a link to the ad if you want to look at it.  Maybe I missed something...  ps. if you buy it out from under me, just don't tell me! LOL

Marketplace - 1974 Kawasaki kz400 | Facebook

Does have a clear title.

I was thinking about offering $800 cash.   unfortunately, he is about 3 hours away, too far for just a quick look/see.  With that being said, I don't have a problem walking away from a deal, even after driving.

Thanks, Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

More
09 Aug 2024 08:45 #902980 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
3 hours isn't too far to check it out.  Prepare to be disappointed, bring some cash, if it seems OK, make a low offer to allow haggle room.  I'm assuming you could bring it home on the return trip if it's what you want.

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion

More
09 Aug 2024 09:27 #902982 by WFSDNO
Replied by WFSDNO on topic '74 KZ400 Stator Question
I will have to pull a trailer up and back.  Truck has a hard cover, looks great and awesome in wet weather, but sucks when you want to haul things!