Hello from Central Ma

• JoeA
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Aug 2024 04:22 #902821 by JoeA
Hello from Central Ma was created by JoeA
New member here from central Massachusetts.
I was led to the site by my son who’s restoring my 78’ KZ 1000, with 14000 original miles.
My profile picture is the bike in his garage as of a couple of days ago.
I bought her new in 1978 after selling my 73’ H-1 Kawasaki 500 (2 stroke, 3 cylinders) set up for the 1/4 mile, damn that thing was a rocket.
She topped out at 125 mph and put all my buddy's cars to shame.
Back to the KZ. I rode her hard for a couple of years then the kids started coming. First my daughter in 80, then my son in 81. The bike was resigned to my parent's garage. Later on I bought myself an 88’ Porsche 911 Cabriolet in triple black that I used to track with the PCA, I still have her too. I had the KZ running back in 2019 +/- when my new wife backed into the Porsche! Shit that one hurt. Once the car was fixed the KZ went back into storage.
Now along comes my son. Gee Dad I’d kinda like something to do while I'm home. I was looking into buying a bike, but what are your doing with the Kawasaki? I thought what the hell, let's get her started.So he found this site after looking for information on a carb that was hung up dumping gas out the overflow. She still needs some love but he’s really excited about the restoration and always asks me before he changes anything on it. I keep trying to lean him into keeping her pretty much original. What say you all? If you made it this far 😀
I threw in some pictures of the 500 and the KZ last time I had her running.

Just an old guy
Attachments:
  • IMG_6311.mov

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2024 21:38 #902866 by sf4t7
Replied by sf4t7 on topic Hello from Central Ma
Welcome to our version of fun!  There is a lot of knowledge and experience here, and members are willing to help.  Look up Nessism's post "New owner things to know" in the FAQ section, it has some good advice.  
Oh, and we love pictures!

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
Superbike bars
530 conversion
The following user(s) said Thank You: JoeA

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
07 Aug 2024 23:22 #902870 by Wookie58

• JoeA
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2024 01:04 - 08 Aug 2024 03:21 #902875 by JoeA
Replied by JoeA on topic Hello from Central Ma
Hi there Scotty,
Funny you should mention him. After looking at his carburetor posts I think those are the steps that my son utilized to troubleshoot that one hung-up carb. He drove it over here the other night and it was running great, so he said. I’m dying to take it for a ride! 
He’s also been getting her cleaned up, and it’s coming out rather nice I must admit. We’ll probably wait until the next season to put some new rubber on, as he was able to get a current inspection sticker with the tires that are currently on it.
I guess while he was at the shop he overheard guys talking about the KZ in the parking lot and checking her out. Even the mechanic weighed in with his thoughts on what rear tire to put on it. It definitely needs a larger tire similar to what she came with it in 78’
Anyway, thanks again for your suggestions, and please feel free to reach out to me again.
Regards, Joe 
Note: the pictures attached are the gauges with his new key chain, his visit the other night, (I yelled out to touch the pipes, showing it was a cold start, an old one of him and me around 1982 (I think he was 2), and my old 500. 

Just an old guy
  • IMG_0828.mov

• Last edit: 08 Aug 2024 03:21 by Wookie58.

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    08 Aug 2024 03:22 #902883 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic Hello from Central Ma
    Joe I fixed your pics, next time click "install all" before submitting 

More
    08 Aug 2024 16:02 #902938 by TexasKZ
    Replied by TexasKZ on topic Hello from Central Ma
    Welcome aboard!

Nice bikes.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
    1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
    2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough