New rider, new bike

More
13 Jun 2024 13:31 - 13 Jun 2024 14:02 #900672 by RatRod1980
New rider, new bike was created by RatRod1980
Hi everybody! This is my first bike and I'm fairly new to street riding. I've got experience riding dirt bikes in my youth so I'm not averse to kick starting and counter steering (or bumps for that matter). I recently acquired a 1980 KZ650 rat bike off Craigslist. It's super dope but I'm having issues due wiring among other things. It's a custom job and is super fun to ride but right now it won't start. The rectifier grounded out a few weeks ago so I just rewired the wires together after they burned apart. Now it won't start (though it did after the fix but slowly has grown trouble starting). The battery rests at 12.90 volts but drops to around 9 when I hit the starter. So I'm sure my wiring job was the problem. I'm going to have an engineer neighbor look at it when I can but if anyone here is an electrician and can help me out, that'd be great!! Thanks!
  • Last edit: 13 Jun 2024 14:02 by Street Fighter LTD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
    • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
    More
    13 Jun 2024 14:03 #900673 by Street Fighter LTD
    Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic New rider, new bike
    Welcome to KZRider 
    Next time click the insert all tab to complete your picture installation 
    I fixed it for you this time 
    Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
    Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RatRod1980

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    13 Jun 2024 14:35 #900678 by Wookie58
    The following user(s) said Thank You: RatRod1980

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    13 Jun 2024 15:02 #900684 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic New rider, new bike
    Your electric R/R (recifier/regulator) poor wiring connections will give you some kind of trouble, sooner or later !!!
    Crimping or soldering connections and a double shrink tube isolation is the best way/methode to prevent those problemes !!!
    Bad connections can generate a lot of heat, molten, burned plugs and oxydations due to high current/low voltage (< 12 Volt ), instead of low current and high/max voltage (>12 Volt) !!!

More
    13 Jun 2024 15:27 #900687 by RatRod1980
    Replied by RatRod1980 on topic New rider, new bike
    Thank you guys. I think I did pretty well with the crimping and connecting the wires, I just think I may have gotten a couple mismatched. If anyone had any idea as to my wiring job, that's why I included multiple pics. 

• ThatGPzGuy
    • Sustaining Member
    • More Sparky than Speed Racer
    More
    14 Jun 2024 05:50 #900705 by ThatGPzGuy
    Replied by ThatGPzGuy on topic New rider, new bike
    Is that orange thing a household wire nut? That's a definite no-no. 

Jim
    North GA
    2016 Yamaha FJR1300ES
    1982 GPz750 R1
    1974 Kawasaki H1
    1976 Kawasaki KZ400
    1979 Yamaha XS650 cafe'
    2001 KZ1000P
    2001 Yamaha YZ426
    1981 Honda XR200 stroked in an '89 CR125 chassis
    1965 Mustang
    1967 Triumph GT6
    1976 Bronco
    "If you didn't build it, it's not really yours"
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    14 Jun 2024 06:04 #900707 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic New rider, new bike

Hi everybody! This is my first bike and I'm fairly new to street riding. I've got experience riding dirt bikes in my youth so I'm not averse to kick starting and counter steering (or bumps for that matter). I recently acquired a 1980 KZ650 rat bike off Craigslist. It's super dope but I'm having issues due wiring among other things. It's a custom job and is super fun to ride but right now it won't start. The rectifier grounded out a few weeks ago so I just rewired the wires together after they burned apart. Now it won't start (though it did after the fix but slowly has grown trouble starting). The battery rests at 12.90 volts but drops to around 9 when I hit the starter. So I'm sure my wiring job was the problem. I'm going to have an engineer neighbor look at it when I can but if anyone here is an electrician and can help me out, that'd be great!! Thanks! 
    The best advice I can give you is make a pot of coffee, download the FSM and go through circuit by circuit comparing the bike to the wiring diagram. Trying to guide you remotely through fault finding when the wiring has been butchered is "close to impossible" as any test steps will potentially be inconclusive (guidance offered is based on the factory wiring diagram)

More
    14 Jun 2024 10:46 #900718 by RatRod1980
    Yeah, dang. I have the wiring manual but it's a beast. I thought it'd be a simple, "the red one goes to the yellow one" but nah.. that's why I'll be asking my engineer neighbor in person asap. 

More
    14 Jun 2024 10:47 #900720 by RatRod1980
    Haha the wiring nut was one of the few connectors I had left. I presume it isn't waterproof or something? 

• Wookie58
    • Away
    More
    14 Jun 2024 11:19 #900723 by Wookie58
    Replied by Wookie58 on topic New rider, new bike

Haha the wiring nut was one of the few connectors I had left. I presume it isn't waterproof or something? 
    It isn't waterproof but more importantly houses don't "vibrate" which will cause it to loosen and the wiring will burn again

More
    14 Jun 2024 12:44 #900728 by RatRod1980
    Lol oh... I appreciate the info! I'm starting to wonder though, and I might drop this in another topic, but I don't know if my wiring job is the problem now. What happens is it tries to turn over but never does. I thought it was cuz the battery dropped to 9.6 when I hit the starter but apparently that's what batteries do. It doesn't start with the kickstart either. This problem started about a week ago. The spark plugs are brand new. I think it's something to do with the fuel... Whether I set the petcock to "on", "res" or in the middle, it would run regardless. But now I'm unsure of where to set it cuz it doesn't seem to start either way! The inline fuel filter has a little darker mark on it so I thought maybe it was dirty. And the carb needles are set one mark too rich which I'll fix when I do take the carbs off one day. But for now, I'm just not sure why it won't start even though it tries to. Threw some Seafoam in the fuel and carbs last week and she was running nicely. But decided to start having trouble starting. Now it won't. I can hold the starter all day and it just won't flip over. 

• Scirocco
    • Premium Member
    • Never change a running system
    More
    14 Jun 2024 12:46 #900729 by Scirocco
    Replied by Scirocco on topic New rider, new bike

Thank you guys. I think I did pretty well with the crimping and connecting the wires, I just think I may have gotten a couple mismatched. If anyone had any idea as to my wiring job, that's why I included multiple pics. 
    Sorry, to say but this is one of worst kind of a hack job i´ve ever seen!

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.