Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Ordeal 04 Jun 2024 20:19 #900256

• Bells
  • Bells's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all. I just wanted to share and thank you all for your posts, without which I would have set this bike on fire and rolled it into a lake. I bought a 79 kz650D sr from a guy who "found it" in a barn with a 20 year old tag. He only got it to run a little and never up to speed. I took her on and have had a little dream and a little nightmare and hopefully I'm back to dreaming.  First the rear brakes needed to get pressure so I hit that. I went through an  online manual and did just about everything it asked me to do. I had her running for a week but could never clear 4k rpm so I took her back apart and I thought I did everything right.  I changed out the jet needles bc they came w the rebuild kit and I put it all back the way I found it mostly. 
I should add here that it took a week to get it running the first time and that was after stepping the mains from the 92.5s that were in it to 102.5s. So finally tonight after 3 weeks of it being way worse and bogging immediately upon hitting the Throttle, I revisitrevisited the needles. I checked the new against the old a little closer and found a size difference at the bottom and for the first time I took real notice of the fact that there were 2 plastic washers on each needle. One above and one below the c clip. Which was clipped in the 3rd slot. So, I put the original needles back sans washers and bench synced everything up again. I'm getting to be a bit of an expert by now and I put her on the road expecting more of the same issue. I was floored. She hit every rpm on the dial she took me for quite the ride and I'm just so passed that a few little plastic washers have caused me so much pain. I'm excited to give her a real test tomorrow during the day but for now, I will dream. Stock airbox new points and condenser air screws only on the carbs if I think of any other items, maybe I'll come back and show her off. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: