New Member! Hello!

• 82Kz1100ccSpectre
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2024 06:15 #900149 by 82Kz1100ccSpectre
New Member! Hello! was created by 82Kz1100ccSpectre
Hello! I’m Brae.
I am a new member here and would like to say hello and give you a small synopsis.  I have only two bikes now…down from 8.  A 1979 Honda CX500 D luxe and a 1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre.  I have been riding and working on my own bikes for awhile however I seem to have bad luck with them….or at least I give up too easily so I decided to come onto this platform to help and guide me through the stormy rough ride waters of troubleshooting and repair!
The KZ1100 has a starting issue…the starter motor spins but does not engage the gear it’s supposed to turn.  I have just replaced the starter clutch and it still is not working.  I believe I may be missing parts ie. spacers and such and or the rotor bolt is spinning out…that’s all I can come up with…I believe I am missing at least one washer and I feel the two conical washers crushed in below the rotor bolt head are suspicious.  Could anyone lead me in the right direction?
also, why would there be no woodriff(sp) key?  Thank you all for reading this and thank you for allowing me into this Forum!!  Cheers!
Brae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Wookie58
  • Away
More
03 Jun 2024 08:03 #900165 by Wookie58
Replied by Wookie58 on topic New Member! Hello!
Welcome from the UK, woodruff key was deleted with the later generator from MKII onwards (1980 ish) Starter is permanently engaged so should be relatively straight forward to establish what's going on there 
The following user(s) said Thank You: 82Kz1100ccSpectre

More
03 Jun 2024 09:58 #900168 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic New Member! Hello!
Howdy. In case you aren't aware Kawasaki.com and Partzilla have diagrams. Partzilla is easier to use and has a cross-reference.

1982 KZ1100-D1 Spectre >>  www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...82/spectre-kz1100-d1

Starter motor starter clutch >> www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...motor-starter-clutch