• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 Starter Issue - Clicking 20 May 2024 13:49 #899395

• Lukeduke
  • Lukeduke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Folks!

New in here, so just few words. My Name is Lukas, I am from Austria and currently trying to get my KZ440 to run before it gets converted to a cafe racer.
Today I had finally installed my new carb repair kit and wanted to try it out. The bike made 1-2 sputters and then suddenly I heard a clicking noise and the starter did not turn over anymore.
Checked the wiring, voltage and connections and did not find anything faulty so I disassembled the starter. I checked the brushes and the stator and did also not find anything faulty so I hooked up the starter directly to a Powersupply and the starter did just turn fine. So put everything back together (except the starter chain to exclude anything coming from the motor) and same as before. Even with the battery terminals connected directly to the starter no movement. Also tried a different battery, still same.

Anyone an Idea where I should start to troubleshoot? I mean if the starter turns outside of the motorcycle I guess it is not fried.

Lukas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 Starter Issue - Clicking 20 May 2024 16:32 #899419

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 2062
Welcome from the UK. Bench testing a starter doesn't really tell you a lot as there is no load on it. When you say you connected the battery to the starter directly was that positive and ground ?

KZ440 Starter Issue - Clicking 20 May 2024 17:34 #899430

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1985
Welcome from Germany

Looks like a weak starter relay, the internal copper switsh could be burnd or molten.
Prüf mal bitte das Anlasser Relais und versuch mal dies bei eingebauten Anlasser über die Anlasser Zuleitung
direkt mit dem Batterie Plus zu überbrücken.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

KZ440 Starter Issue - Clicking 21 May 2024 23:17 #899502

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 381
Grab your meter.

disconnect the vacuum line going from the carburetor to the petcock. This will keep the fuel off during these tests.
key on
kill switch set to "run"

meter set to DC V

red probe on positive battery post( post is the metal part of the battery)
black probe on negative battery post
note voltage

hit the starter button
note voltage

move the red probe to the starter relay big  post that has the big wire coming from the battery.
hit the starter button
note voltage

move red probe to the other large post on the relay. This post has the large wire going to the starter.
hit the starter button
note voltage

The relay should also make a loud click when you push the starter button.

Move red probe to the positve post on the starter. Put the probe on the post not the wire.
hit the starter button
note voltage

move the red probe to one of the metal bolts that mount the starter.
hit the starter button

( this reading has to be as close to 0.0V as possible. It should be a steady reading as well. If it's jumping all over the place then you have a very bad ground. If it's higher than 0.5v then your ground is not great)
note voltage

turn off bike
reconnect the vacuum line going to the petcock.

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Last edit: by F64.

KZ440 Starter Issue - Clicking 06 Jun 2024 02:00 #900330

• Lukeduke
  • Lukeduke's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi guys!

Thanks for the answers! Finally figured it out, I was having some issues with the brushes. I ordered a repair kit and now the starter works very well. No issues at all.

Lukas
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

• Page: