Fell in love with the Z1 and motorcycles cuz of anime 05 Apr 2023 05:05 #882528

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
Those lines are oil cooler hoses.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: VirusDumb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fell in love with the Z1 and motorcycles cuz of anime 05 Apr 2023 05:29 #882529

• VirusDumb
  • VirusDumb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10

Those lines are oil cooler hoses.

thanks I didn't know you could just add oil cooling to air cooled bikes

Fell in love with the Z1 and motorcycles cuz of anime 05 Apr 2023 06:03 #882531

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 583
^^^
slmjim still has the first Z1 he bought; a late '73 build Z1-A.  It has a few OEM parts on it usually associated with '73 Z1's, such as a throttle lock screw & earlier chain oil pump.  He installed an oil cooler on it not long after he bought it.  A problem with over-cooling during cool weather (40 ~ 50 deg. F.) rides that manifested as condensation (white glop on the sight glass) resulted in removal of the oil cooler & associated plumbing some years later.  Lockhart made an oil cooler bypass / thermostat to help prevent the problem, but it added complexity to the plumbing and was just butt ugly anyway.  Unless an air-icooled Z motor has been seriously breathed on or routinely run in sweltering desert conditions, oil coolers aren't really necessary anyway.  At least that's our opinion.

VirusDumb - Welcome to our little corner of interwebs motorcycle madness.  Fair warning - When you get a Z1, you'll almost certainly be infected with The Dreaded Z-Bug.   Those so afflicted often desperately attempt to self-medicate by applying additional Z-bikes.  The symbiotic nature of the infectious entity also compels the sufferer to search out & collect spare parts; it's a defense mechanism of The Dreaded Z-Bug to ensure it's long-term survival.

There's no known cure.  You will be assimilated...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: VirusDumb

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE. Reason: typo

Fell in love with the Z1 and motorcycles cuz of anime 05 Apr 2023 06:23 #882532

• VirusDumb
  • VirusDumb's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10

VirusDumb - Welcome to our little corner of interwebs motorcycle madness.  Fair warning - When you get a Z1, you'll almost certainly be infected with The Dreaded Z-Bug.   Those so afflicted often desperately attempt to self-medicate by applying additional Z-bikes. There's no known cure.  You will be assimilated...

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

thanks a lot, that's a really funky profile picture you got, well about getting the Z1, it's still a long way from now, I am yet to get my first motorcycle here or even get a job/source of income  , also I haven't completely learnt to ride yet, that's what I'm doing now, the Z1 is the reason I'm trying to do all that, get to a prestigious college here in India, and then move abroad to where I can get one while making enough to able to afford not only the Z1 900, but also a Z1-R and it's Eddie Lawson replica, a kz1300, the Z2 750. But I'm still in my teenage figuring life out, so let's see
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Fell in love with the Z1 and motorcycles cuz of anime 17 May 2023 06:21 #884790

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 216
In 1979 (when I was 24) I owned a Honda 750.  One of my roommates got a 1974 Z1A, and one day we traded bikes for our ride.  Holy shit, I've gotta get one of these!  Soon after I bought a 74 Z1 like his.  43 years and several other motorcycles have come and gone, but I've still got that Z1.  Currently reviving (not restoring) it to ride this summer.  Even after all this time, whenever I see a Z1 I think "that is the coolest motorcycle I've ever seen".  So welcome to our addiction.

Scotty
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1