• Page:

TOPIC:

Hello from Texas! 24 Apr 2021 21:40 #847388

• Antrax1
  • Antrax1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi KZ Community!

I purchased my very first motorcycle which also happens to be a project bike. It's a 1981 Kawasaki KZ440A LTD. I purchased the bike from a friend who was willing to sell it at a price I could afford ($250). The previous owner said 'he had this bike sitting outdoors for 4 years and he only got the chance to ride it a couple of times before it stopped turning on. He didn't have the time or knowledge to work on it, overpaid for it ($800), and didn't want to spend any more money on it.' I have basic vehicle mechanic knowledge as I have done repairs on my car but I'm figuring things out as I go on this bike. I bought it not running and not turning on so I truly didn't know what I was dealing with. The first thing I did was: Charge the battery, new spark plugs, new oil/oil filter. What I have discovered: Battery needs to be replaced. I thought it was the starter solenoid prior but I realized the battery is just bad. I have jump-started the bike with my car turned off and realized the start solenoid is good but it's not getting a spark. I used a spark plug tester and both spark plugs seem to get a spark. Here is where I get confused, am I looking at something like an ignition coil or wiring? I'm hoping it isn't wiring as it's way outside of my realm of knowledge. The bike isn't the nicest but once I get it running I am going to work on the body. Also, I would really appreciate feedback and advice! 
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello from Texas! 28 Apr 2021 18:34 #847653

• rstnick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 373
Welcome.
Your getting spark on both plugs, that is a good start.
Check the fuses, clean and or replace if necessary.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

Hello from Texas! 29 Apr 2021 05:29 #847668

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
What about the airbox & fuel?
The carburetors & petcock could be clogged w dried fuel. 

ps:  be sure to keep the new battery fully charged.  I have a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & use a VC97 digital multimeter. 

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Hello from Texas! 29 Apr 2021 11:55 #847690

• Zilla
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 11
I would go to Lowe’s or home depot and get the electrical cleaning spray and pull apart all the plug connectors and give them a good cleaning being it’s been sitting outside all that time and see what that does.
1986 KZ1000P
2005 Vmax

• Page: