• Page:

TOPIC:

Got a 1978 KZ400 and a couple of questions 09 Mar 2021 08:35 #844608

• Camillion
  • Camillion's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello there everyone!
Just joined a while ago and I have a sweet little 1978 KZ400 (B series I think) that I plan to convert to a café style without irreversible modifications – Bolt on components only.
First of all, this is a 6 speed so based on the research I’ve done, I believe that this is a ‘B’ series.
What I cannot locate is any specific info, parts list or parts view for the ‘Side stand auto release mechanism’. This is the type that uses a ‘stud’ mounted on the primary drive sprocket that rotates when the clutch is initially released and the bike moves forward. The stud moves around CCW and contacts a lever of sorts that is connected via a spring (I guess) to the side stand. I have the stud on the primary gear, the lever that it contacts against and a spring that is connected on the lever, to the frame.
That’s it - I know there are additional springs or connecting rods or something that connects to the side stand itself but cannot locate a parts list or any reference to this mechanism style.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I’ve also discovered that the clutch pushrod that is actuated via the clutch cable pulling a lever that is connected to a type of eccentric (for a lack of a better description) that shifts sideways to move the pushrod. The type I have consists of 3 ball bearings captured within a small plate that as it rotates, it literally climbs up a ramp and moves out sideways. The only view that I can find regarding this is different and the service manuals are quite vague as to the position or adjustment from the outside of the sprocket cover under the small rectangular cover access.
I have been around bikes for close to 50 years so I’m not exactly a novice but a little help or direction would be a Godsend!
I have had many different types and styles of bikes over the years and have even done quite a bit of custom fabrication to a few. Currently own 2, 1984 Goldwings and a ‘79’ GW that has been extensively modified into a bobber/roadster. As well as a 2006 Suzuki M109R Boulevard.
Anyway, I had better wrap this up (tend to get a bit long winded).
Thanks for reading!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Got a 1978 KZ400 and a couple of questions 09 Mar 2021 15:11 #844635

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2053
Side stand auto release??

That has got to be a Germany only device.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Got a 1978 KZ400 and a couple of questions 09 Mar 2021 18:24 #844654

• Nerdy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 378

TexasKZ wrote: Side stand auto release??

That has got to be a Germany only device.

Negative; it was on US models as well.
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

Got a 1978 KZ400 and a couple of questions 10 Mar 2021 05:52 #844669

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Kawasaki.com and Partzilla are a couple of places that have parts diagrams. Partzilla is easiest to use & has a cross-reference.
www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motorcycle/1978/kz400-b1

KZ400.com has lots of info including manuals. Warning: the forums there may harm your computer. as of several years ago there was no administrator or something like that. I don't know the current situation & haven't tried the forums.

As for the clutch release adjustment, the service manual or om should have the procedure. KZ400.com has the adjustment in the Technical Tips section, but be sure to use the correct procedure as it can vary between model years.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: