• Page:

TOPIC:

New member 21 Feb 2021 19:05 #843839

• Dutch_220
  • Dutch_220's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I’m new to posting on this site or any site for that matter. I am in the process of refurbishing (not exactly a restoration) of a 1980 KZ750 E. I am not a motorcycle mechanic by any means. I am okay with any Mustangs pre 1973 but that’s where technology passed me up and by the time I got into motorcycles I could afford to take them to a shop....

I have a 2002 Harley FX Dyna and a 2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200, but fell into this KZ750 a few years back and really like the look and enjoy riding it. It runs great and is in pretty good mechanical shape but needs some refreshing cosmetically. I’m recently retired and have decided to take it on myself. Been going well with the exception of a problem with the tachometer and trying to disassemble the rear shocks so I can paint the springs.

I hope to ask for more help in those two areas once I am allowed to post in other forums.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, I was shooting for “new members.”
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

New member 21 Feb 2021 19:51 #843841

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1853
Welcome. That is a nice looking bike
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dutch_220

New member 22 Feb 2021 04:48 #843846

• Polish
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 24
Welcome aboard! You are at the right place and very nice bike and good shape for 41 years old.
First thing to do is to get a factory service manual if you don’t have one already. Here is one:

kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/GPz750.pdf
JL
1979 Honda CB400T Cafe Racer (current ride)
1982 KZ750 LTD (current project)

Last edit: by Polish.

New member 22 Feb 2021 14:04 #843884

• Kawnut
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9
I have never had any luck disassembling the rear shocks on one of these units. I believe the manual says to replace them. I do remember there is a (half moon) type keeper, once removed they come apart. Would recommend a good set of aftermarket units.
What is the specific problem with the tach??

New member 22 Feb 2021 15:30 #843892

• Dutch_220
  • Dutch_220's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
You are correct about the shocks. I figured it out. There are 2 horseshoe shaped pins that hold the cover for the damper adjustment. My shocks are good but the covers were missing when I got it so I purchased used ones on eBay and will use the adjustment cover on my shocks after I get them cleaned up and fabricate some new clips to hold them on. The ones I took out are very rusted and brittle.

As for the tach, the housing in which the tach cable goes in, is very loose. If I push it tight to the housing the tach works. It appears that it is held in place by a washer that was pressed in place. Not sure yet how I am going to make it right. I see that it needs to be lined up correctly before being secured. I’m thinking of trying JB weld or trying to pull it tight by slipping a clip of some under the housing to pull the connection tight. Not sure if it can be seen in the photo.

Are you familiar with this problem?
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

New member 22 Feb 2021 16:05 #843896

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1967
Welcome to KZRider
I fixed your picture
Next time click insert to finish install
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

• Page: