• Page:

TOPIC:

Howdy- 1979 KZ750 B4 new project 27 Jun 2020 06:05 #829075

• YoFlaco
  • YoFlaco's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all,
Just picked up my first ever Kawasaki motorcycle. Currently own and am rebuilding a 1984 BMW R80RT, but found this KZ750 B4 for a fair price and had to pick it up. It currently runs, is near stock, and well is a vertical twin to challenge the horizontal twin BMW! Let's see which I prefer in the end.

Still fairly new to wrenching on bikes. Any information or easy starting advice for KZ750 B4 would be appreciated. Can already say I have downloaded and printed the service manual. Looks comprehensive! That should certainly help navigate Kawasaki, I hope.
Also, curious about easy mods or quick performance advice. For example, as soon as I got the BMW- everyone said remove the air injection pollution system. Anything I should do or know about this twin B4 right away?!
I do have a bad regulator/rectifier already diagnosed, so that is my only current starting point. Battery is being replaced andbike needs new reg/rec.
Cheers
DTH

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Howdy- 1979 KZ750 B4 new project 27 Jun 2020 07:47 #829086

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
You should be aware that there are NO phillips screws on the Kawasaki. Those screws that look like phillips are actually Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS) which have a slightly, but important, different tip shape than phillips. Using a phillips screwdriver (which will not fit correctly) on those screws will deform them and cause you headaches. If you need info on JIS screwdriver tips just ask and I can provide. You can make JIS tips from phillips tips without much difficulty. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: YoFlaco

Howdy- 1979 KZ750 B4 new project 27 Jun 2020 09:43 #829090

• YoFlaco
  • YoFlaco's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Was unaware of JIS.
Im assuming that I just grind off 1mm or so of a Philips tip. Read that on a goldwing blog. Sound correct?

• Page: