Hello from the netherlands with 2 kz650's

More
13 Jun 2020 16:03 #828093 by Pindakaas
Hello, i'm Pindakaas, a dutch guy and i just bought a z650, no wait, i bought another one today, i have 2 of them! so whats the deal an why?
I bought the first kz for a few bucks(euro's actually), wasnt running, battery dead, leaking carbs and a rusty forks, i fixed the engine so its a runner now. So i searched for parts to get it back on the road and maybe turn it in to a brat or something like that. I'm a little experienced with builds, i have build a few caferacers, but all honda. I found an interesting bike, a project that was never finished and doensn't run. new paintjob marchal exhaust, monoshock, modern z650 wheels, a kz750 engine with a zephyr head and did i allready mention it? it doesn't run(OMG wat did i buy?). I have learned never to buy an old stranded project because you never know what problems you might encounter, and yet i was stupid enough to fall in love with the looks and ended up with 2 zx650's in my garage.
So, here is my first bike:

And here is the second bike, purists might want to look the other way to avoid an allergic reaction:

Now here are the problems, the rearsprocket does not line up with the frontsprocket, an offset sprocket might do the trick, but it will be close because of the 180 tyre in the rear, im affraid the chain will hit the frame. The previous owner never got it running, might be electrical, compression or timing issues. Maybe get the engine from the first bike as a donor, but first i'll be doing an attempt to fix it.

So to be short, im here to learn a lot, i like a challenge, but still not sure i bit off more than i can chew. And to make things worse, i set myself a deadline to ride one of those bikes in september, preferable the grey one. Im hoping to get a lot of information and maybe show some progress here.
Tips and advice are allways welcome except the one where you say i should not have bought it, because i allready did.

Like the dutch say: op hoop van zegen. (hoping to be blessed)

Greetings pindakaas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2020 01:19 #828126 by davido
Replied by davido on topic Hello from the netherlands with 2 kz650's
For the chain clearance, try a 160 tyre. If thats not enough, you might be able to shave a bit off the sprocket carrier. I picked up an offset front sprocket from Nico Bakker
( hes up north around Heerhugowaard). Also good for any other machining you might need. He straightened and braced my frame.

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

More
14 Jun 2020 02:23 #828127 by Pindakaas
Replied by Pindakaas on topic Hello from the netherlands with 2 kz650's

davido wrote: For the chain clearance, try a 160 tyre. If thats not enough, you might be able to shave a bit off the sprocket carrier. I picked up an offset front sprocket from Nico Bakker
( hes up north around Heerhugowaard). Also good for any other machining you might need. He straightened and braced my frame.

Thats great advise, thx. I know nico Baker I've had a nico Baker gsx before. I'll give him a call for that. The 160 tyre will give some clearance and might just be enough.