New Member Introduction

More
11 Jun 2020 08:07 #827871 by TechTrainer
New Member Introduction was created by TechTrainer
Hello out there - to everyone,
Just wanted to introduce my self as a new member to this forum. My handle is Tech Trainer.
I have read a few articles in the past on this site and found the information very useful.
I was reluctant to login in as a new user until after I read some of the things posted and got a look at how this message board operated. Honestly, I was happy to see that folks on this site are genuinely helpful to one another and it's obvious the love and passion everyone has for the Kawasaki brand. I share that passion for all things mechanical and electronic. So, that's one of the reasons I signed up.

All that said... I have owned a few Kawasaki's in my time. Some I have let slip thru my hands, But one bike in particular I have had for many years and I just cant part with it yet.
When I was about 17 or 18 I bought my first street bike after many years of riding dirt bikes and enduros. A Kawasaki 440LTD. Fixed it up, rode the wheels off it, fixed it up again, sold it and then made my way to a more aggressive street machine. Out of all my bikes, of various brands, that have come and gone my 1974 Kawasaki Z1A 900cc is still with me today. I realize, when I mention that back in the day, when I wasn't as smart as I should have been I made some slight modifications to my Z that may frazzle those "purists" out there. I humbly apologize if that offends anyone. But please don't judge me yet! I realize the err of my ways and have come to peace with them. I have also still enjoyed the "crackle" of the Yoshimura Header and the sound of the smooth bores as they suck everything they can thru the velocity stacks so the cams can do their work. I hope that paints a picture for those out there who may give me a pass, just this one time for my previous wickedness.
So - You know why I'm here. I hope to stay within the guard rails and not run into the ditch.

Thanks for letting me introduce myself.
Regards,
TechTrainer
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZJOE900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
11 Jun 2020 08:43 #827876 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic New Member Introduction

TechTrainer wrote: ...I was reluctant to login in as a new user until after I read some of the things posted and got a look at how this message board operated. Honestly, I was happy to see that folks on this site are genuinely helpful to one another and it's obvious the love and passion everyone has for the Kawasaki brand. I share that passion for all things mechanical and electronic. So, that's one of the reasons I signed up.

Thanks for the compliment Tech Trainer! We actually strive every day to build and keep this community together. If you've found us to be helpful and passionate, we must be doing something right.
You've chosen Tech Trainer as a handle. What sort of training do you do?
I'm also a teacher of sorts. I've been teaching motorcycle safety for eleven seasons now.
One of my duties in my full time job is to teach and certify folks to be master installers of windows and doors. I've been offering this Installation Masters Certification since 2003.
Welcome to KZRider!
Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
11 Jun 2020 15:14 #827930 by TechTrainer
Replied by TechTrainer on topic New Member Introduction
Thank-you for being the first to throw out the welcome mat!
TechTrainer - Long story short - I have a colorful past that includes doing Technician Training for several years for one of what used to be the "Big 3". Taught everything in the 8 ASE categorizes, Vehicle Brand Specific, ( Chrysler/Dodge /Jeep), plus Advanced Engine Performance L1 / IM240 / Emissions Systems / 5 Gas Analyzation / NVH - (Noise Vibration and Harshness) - stuff like that. Taught a plethora of courses, did course development and course pilots. It's starting to sound like I'm braggin - But it aint braggin if you can back it up! Laugh! Biggest gigs had 350+ people of all ages - My friends used to say "I have been around the block more times than the Good Humor Man". I still chuckle when I hear that. Enough said about me I guess. Probably said too much. Probably sorry you asked - Laugh!

Moving forward - Almost took a job a while back doing Motorcycle Safety Training, but got sidetracked into something else. One of the guys I worked with and his wife did that for the police departments. Sounds like a cool deal. Been riding all my life since 4-5 years old I guess. Still think I would or could do that.
Nice to meet you.
Do you think I should post a pic of my ride? It's not a showroom queen by any means. But if I go by fast enough it doesn't look too bad. -

More
11 Jun 2020 16:09 #827934 by calum
Replied by calum on topic New Member Introduction
Welcome! Pictures are always good - and bikes don't belong in a showroom ;)

• 9er rider
  • Sustaining Member
  • Keep a cool tool
More
11 Jun 2020 16:54 #827939 by 9er rider
Replied by 9er rider on topic New Member Introduction
Ive had my 900 since 76 when I bought it new and I have a few more that have had the golden touch put to them Probably like myself either couldnt aford a new bike or just wanted the personal cool stuff as with myself. mostly Drag specialties and oem LTD parts as time rolled on ,I found the interweb, retired, quit drinking and rebuilt the Green Go from the ground up. Now I have 4. and I still like the semi Ltd and period correct Drag specialties chrome but I never liked the tiny tanks. currently Im putting together a 78 1000 a model with ltd swinger because I dont like the plastic chainguard and the b model ones are a dime a dozen, with a 900 motor with 20 k mi. on it with a Kerker, and lester rims. and rear disc brake, I love the Big 4's. In my book if its clean its mean. Keep a cool tool man welcome abord Mate.
The Clydester.

76 kz 900 1075 76 kz 900 a4 78 kz 1000 ltd

More
11 Jun 2020 16:57 #827940 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New Member Introduction

TechTrainer wrote: .....................Do you think I should post a pic of my ride? It's not a showroom queen by any means................ -

Not every picture posted here is that of a showroom queen. For example, the picture below was posted before the owner moved on. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
11 Jun 2020 18:58 #827951 by TechTrainer
Thanks to all for the welcome and the low down on this site - awesome!!!
9er rider "the golden touch" I like that!
Calum - I hear ya bud - Ride it like you stole it? Indeed! Will get a few pics up soon. Thanks!
650 ed - A sight for sure! That's tricked out for sure!

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
13 Jun 2020 05:47 - 13 Jun 2020 05:57 #828043 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic New Member Introduction
This is slmjim.

Your user name immediately caught my eye.

I retired five years ago after 40+ years as a Lead Field Tech/Network Analyst and suit/manager irritant. The Tech Trainers for the various equipment manufacturers (Kyocera. HP. Brother, xerox et. al.) were some of the most influential individuals in my professional career. Overall I loved my job, and miss some aspects of it terribly. Always out & about, seldom two days in the same place. Although I did have a desk at the shop, weeks would pass sometimes without me setting foot in the office that was only 15 minutes from home. Loved it!

I came across a book review early in the digital revolution from an unrelated industry that contained an excerpt that I printed & hung above my desk, where it remained for years until retirement. I used that excerpt in a document I wrote to the Service Dept. as a whole at a time when morale among the Techs was low due to reasons associated with ignorant cube-dwelling suits elsewhere in the company. The Techs never again felt discouraged or undervalued, only misunderstood. The suits weren't happy; the Techs were jubilant. That document appears below:

I entered the copier industry in the early 1970's, during the days of wet process, coated paper roll-fed e-stat machines. I watched (and serviced) the hardware as it progressed from those cumbersome analog wet-process units to the relatively elegant, dry-process digital color and B&W units we have today, while also transitioning to the role of Network Analyst/Lead Tech specializing in high-end, high-speed B&W and color printing, scanning and document management.

Even during those early wet days, a Field Technician was something of a Rodney Dangerfield; we got no respect. Ignorant "cube dwellers" who know nothing of the sheer complexity required to produce an image on paper would invariably come off with the same tired remarks:
1) You here AGAIN!?! (No, you're dreaming me this time...)
2) We're gonna have to put you on the payroll! (You can't afford me...)
3) We're gonna have to get you an office/cot/desk! (See #2)
4) And my personal favorite (with the machine obviously disassembled in front of them) -
SAD USER: "Ummm... can I make just ONE copy...?" (As if one is somehow more likely than two...).

And on and on.

People often fear what they don't understand. They fear copiers, printing/scanning and especially, network mysteries. For that
reason, I believe that at some level they fear Technicians because we DO understand, hence the remarks above.

The interaction of atomic physics, optics, chemistry, mechanical engineering, electronics and software results in a printing device somewhat akin to the flight of a bumblebee; it's remarkable that it works at all. Place this device among people uneducated in the simplest nuances, not to mention the complexities, of making marks on blank paper and the result is the Rodney Dangerfield Effect.

The following is an excerpt of a book review from an unrelated industry. It succinctly states what I believe to be the heart, soul and true concept of a Field Technician. Enjoy.

Ode to a Technician
"The science and art of making and fixing actual things — as opposed to the "information work" increasingly idealized in modern culture — is the most personally satisfying and intellectually rigorous environment in society, because the correctness of one’s thinking is not open to subjective interpretation. There is no ambiguity about the success of a repair effort; the thing either works properly or it doesn’t. Yet there may be tremendous ambiguity in the problem that compelled the would-be fixer to act, and much mental effort may be required in gaining an accurate understanding of the problem and devising an adequate solution. This is not the same as the "book learning" of physicists and engineers. Required also is a knowledge and intuition acquired only through the
accumulation of direct experience working with actual things (as opposed to ideas) in the real world of dirty, corroded and buggered hardware owned by actual people (as opposed to the sterilized, standardized, idealized and unencumbered laboratory of theory.)"
Author - Mark Barnes

If it works, thank a Tech!
Service Technicians Do It in The Field.

:)

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Last edit: 13 Jun 2020 05:57 by slmjim+Z1BEBE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grcko

More
13 Jun 2020 08:52 - 13 Jun 2020 13:20 #828052 by TechTrainer
slmjim - After reading your post I don't know what to say except to start with WOW! Thank you!
Now that's printing a picture in my mind of a colorful past. *Pun Intended* Thought you might like that based on your copier comments! Thanks for sharing that with me and whomever else may have the pleasure of reading it -

Your message brought to mind something that I have come to embrace and gain a better understanding of as I grow older. In my life I have always thought well, if it's broke take it apart, figure out how it works, fix it! Maybe even make it better, stronger, faster, more efficient....Whatever? What the heck! It's already broken!!! It doesn't work!!! What have you got to loose? So whats the worst that can happen? Can it become more broken than it was?

Well after a couple decades...I have determined that with certain approaches to diagnosing something, YES! it can become "more broken!" Laugh!!! There are times when you can take the cheese out of the Ravioli but you cant' put the cheese back in. But there have been times when that hasn't stopped me from trying. As your post reflects, in the hands of a well seasoned technician, the likelihood of making something worse diminishes as his/her experience over time, has granted them a greater understanding of how things work. Moreover, a better way to properly approach things and the pitfalls of not remembering past lessons. In essence I have come to realize not all people have these abilities, others need a nudge to become aware of them and then develop them. An inquisitive and intuitive mind is akin to a gift from God.

I have been fortunate to be in the company of mentors that have empowered me. Coaches and Counselors that recognized certain behaviors and abilities and took the time to help me develop them. In turn as life moved on, I took a similar roll as a Training Instructor and then a Facilitator. The Facilitator development within myself was a pivotal moment for me. Not only in my career, but also in my life.

They say if it aint broke don't fix it -
They say to listen is to learn and to talk is to teach -
They say that those who "can" will do - Those who can't will teach - those that can't teach will administrate -

But out of all these and so many more I have come to realize one thing for sure.....
If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna bring you grief! Joking -
I hope I didn't break any rules saying that.

Thanks for the welcome greeting -
PS - Had to come back and edit this message - Forgot to put a couple pictures in of some of my cob-web catchers ... Humm....got to figure out how do I do that?
Ahh..... Attachments! YES!
Certain all will recognize the Z,,, and most will possibly relate to the Y...?Ok - mabey not- my bad - I know wrong site - right? But its VINTAGE!
But does any one know what the other two are? ..... Hummm....Willing to try and use some of my facilitation skills to offer some clues...?
Any takers?...But I wont give in easy!
I know.... I probably lost most everyone after the ZZZZ....Have a great weekend! Glad to be aboard.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jun 2020 13:20 by TechTrainer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE