Hello, hello!

• AikaThompson
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 May 2020 17:31 #825882 by AikaThompson
Hello, hello! was created by AikaThompson
A few years ago when I was in college, I had a Yamaha Vino 125 scooter. I loved zipping around on that thing, even taking it on rural highways and getting up to a heady 55-60 miles per hour (being like 115 pounds does have its advantages). Eventually I sold it when I moved out to the west coast for work, but I always missed having the wind in my hair and the scenery around, even if I knew I wanted something with just a bit more power. Of course, real life meant that I either didn't have the money, didn't have the space, didn't have the time to work on an older bike, or some kind of deal breaker like a bad title or major mechanical stuff came up when I went to look at one.

Well, a couple of weeks ago the stars finally aligned and I wound up with this!

It's a 1983 KZ750F with a little over 15000 miles on the odometer, and in pretty good shape for something that hasn't been gone over and fully restored! It was a little hard to start and idled rough when I bought it, which I fixed with the absolutely Herculean effort of, uh, reconnecting one vacuum line and replacing the spark plugs. Other than the front suspension seeming kind of squishy and one of the fuel tank brackets being broken, I've been amazed at how well a bike that's a few years older than I am runs. And I might be weird but I always liked the older UJM styling more than the newer hyper-aggressive looking bikes anyways.

Anyways, I have the Haynes manual and a PDF of the official Kawasaki documents. On the other hand I'm a bit dumb and not exactly mechanically experienced, so I'll probably pop back in here sometimes to ask incredibly trivial questions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
16 May 2020 18:25 #825887 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Hello, hello!
WElcome to KZRider
Our membership will be happy to assist you
Nice Bike
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
16 May 2020 18:35 #825888 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Hello, hello!
Nice bike; welcome aboard! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
17 May 2020 07:01 #825906 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Hello, hello!
Welcome. Nice bike!

No such thing as a trivial question. These old bikes need us as much as we "need" them and, the living knowledge base is shrinking as Riders of a certain *cough* age exit the pool of enthusiasts who gained experience when these bikes were new. We're heartened every time we see young Riders express enthusiasm in maintaining the toys of our youth.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BCScott

More
17 May 2020 11:26 - 17 May 2020 11:27 #825934 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Hello, hello!
Welcome! Nice bike :) Looks to be in pretty good nick.

Not sure if you have a service manual - maybe what you meant by 'official documents'? If not, the GPZ manual here will be fine for most engine related stuff: kzrider.com/modules/ServiceManuals/GPz750.pdf

I haven't seen a manual for the shaft drive models around. If you do have a pdf service manual maybe send it to one of the admins so they can add it to the downloads.
Last edit: 17 May 2020 11:27 by calum.

More
17 May 2020 12:56 - 17 May 2020 12:57 #825944 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Hello, hello!
Welcome aboard! Nice looking ride. With a little regular maintenance, it should give you many happy memories.
I think that model has air adjustable forks, if so, a tiny squirt of air may be all they need. A hand pump with a built in gauge is just the ticket. A bicycle shop can fix you up.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 17 May 2020 12:57 by TexasKZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: calum

More
17 May 2020 23:41 #825984 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Hello, hello!
Welcome, I agree with slmjim there are no wrong questions. I was told the only wrong question is the one your afraid to ask. Don’t be so fire away and I’m sure the members will help.

Might be the photo but it appears that #3 pipe is not the same color as the rest, and your clutch cable is suspect. The routing is incorrect, might just be a longer than required cable but it would be good to check the clutch adjustment.

Get to know your manual. Make up a fault, and find the repair procedures in the manual. Read that process as you sit next to your bike and identify the parts called out to complete your task. You will get to know the correct part names which will help the forum get you correct information.

Slow rides in vacant parking lots will get you familiar with the machine, please don’t stress the bike until you have preformed ALL items described in the maintenance section of the manual. Pay scrutinized attention to the brakes. Properly functional brakes save lives.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
18 May 2020 00:46 #825987 by calum
Replied by calum on topic Hello, hello!

Mikaw wrote: ... and your clutch cable is suspect. The routing is incorrect, might just be a longer than required cable but it would be good to check the clutch adjustment.

It's probably the correct clutch cable. The handlebars aren't stock, they're a lot lower. The 750F has handlebars that are just a bit lower than the H.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

More
18 May 2020 11:17 #826008 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Hello, hello!
Thank you for the correction Calum. I’m not familiar with the 750 family.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.