Greeting everyone

More
27 Apr 2020 18:38 #824451 by Wildbill
Greeting everyone was created by Wildbill
I am new to forums and how they work.

To introduce my self I have been riding for several years and own a variety of bikes. A 07 vstrom, 03 Drz 400s, 2000 Honda magna and a few dirt bikes. I like to find bikes especially dirt bikes fix them up a flip them. Just a little side job to make so extra cash.

Anyways on day while I was looking at a bike that I could flip the owner in the back part of his barn under a tarp was a bike. I asked him what was under the cover and he said “a old piece of junk”. I lifted the cover off and it was a 1980 kz1000p. (I just about giggles like a little school girl as I am a child of Chips, dukes of hazard and air wolf.). He told me it hadn’t ran In over a decade. Long story short I offered him a few bucks for it and now it’s got a new home with me. I ended pulling the battery out of my magna, put a igniter from a gpz on it, fogged the motor, new plugs and oil and the old girl ca,e to life running on all four. Happy dance ensued. The bike is missing some feature parts (radio box, rear carrier and the exhaust is garbage) and the wiring is a mess but I have one of my dream bikes from childhood.

Anyways I am hoping that I can ask for some advice and help once in awhile from all you since it is a 40 year old machine and info is scarce.

As I said earlier I am new to forums and will try the search feature but if I ask a question that has already been posted I apologize in advance

1980 kz1000C
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 09:01 #824497 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Greeting everyone
Welcome to the forum Wildbill. That's an interesting Kawasaki you have there. It's a "windshield" model as we called them without the full fairing. I don't know if someone converted it from the fairing or not, but most police departments opted for the fairing models. The department I worked for had a mix of motorcycles for a while and two of them were windshield model KZ's. They have a history behind them in law enforcement which came after the CHiP's craze was over with. The Kawasaki police bikes got a bad rap in many areas where they were used, but seeing as though I had owned a new Z1-B I didn't mind them at all. It's unfortunate that Kawasaki just kind of let their police bike go stagnant without any later developments as such. You couldn't beat the price of a Kawi Police bike that's for sure, but repairs killed any purchase savings and value after police usage was quite low. Enjoy the forum, great people here!
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wildbill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.